So what do you do on stage?

expertune

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I think there should be some movement (walking, swaying, whatever), I think it's better to do little than to do too much. I went to a local show last night and the bands were running and jumping around so much it just turned into some big, goofy show. It was a huge distraction and though the music wasn't very good in the first place, I'm sure the playing suffered.

• Members

Move over by the drum kit. Fire off an SBD...wait a couple of seconds, then summon the bass player to that section of the stage. As he/she arrives, scoot away from the scene of the crime. Wait a few minutes while you muster enough methane for another gas blaster, then repeat the process, this time with the lead singer.

;)

~Blackbelt

• Members

hehehe - that's always the million dollar question. Obviously it depends on the music you are playing, your stage, your bands over all look, etc. Live music is a visual show as well as an audio show so don't be a dead fish up there. At the same time - don't go doing the angus young move or sprinting across the stage during your solos like EVH. (how the hell can you do that?)

I move around, I get into it - but I'm a pretty shy guy so getting nuts is not easy for me. It sounds silly but watch lots of live bands - from Velvet revolver to chili peppers to pearl jam, - whatever and rip off a few cool moves here and there. I really like how Frusciante (sp) carries himself on stage. He's not insane but you damn well know hes enjoying and into what he's playing. People get off on that.

Also - don't over do it, and don't go for the 80's metal tandem cradle rock move, but jive with your other band members some to show the crowd you guys are really in sync.

• Members
Move over by the drum kit. Fire off an SBD...wait a couple of seconds, then summon the bass player to that section of the stage. As he/she arrives, scoot away from the scene of the crime. Wait a few minutes while you muster enough methane for another gas blaster, then repeat the process, this time with the lead singer.

;)

~Blackbelt

That would cause some interesting reactions, wouldn't it.

• Members
Move over by the drum kit. Fire off an SBD

hahahahahahah - funny. Actually one night I had too many chili dogs and we usually keep a fan over on my side of the stage blowing across the stage... ie - the rest of the band is downwind. I had them {censored}ers light headed by the end of the night. ;)

• Members

To answer the question, I'm in a metal band. (:))
So, sometimes I'm not so active and sometimes I go crazy.
It ranges from a simple swaying around (during a crazy solo) to all 20 inches of my hair flopping around like an epileptic person (no offense) when i'm doing something that's not so important.

• Members

That should be the real question here. Who farts on stage? Come on, who'd hear it? I'll damn well let one go if I need to.

well, let's say you're doing a soft, clean piece.

it won't be so clean when your through with it.

the underwear that is.

• Members
watch?v=TTV0Aa4lC04

I think the guy has great stage presence.

watch?v=jg6_0sYKxo4

Mute Math is pretty awesome.
On stage I usually just nod a little, walk around to the drums, nothing really intense. Just enough feel loose and comfortable. But when I'm on bass I'm much more active. I dont jump around a lot or flip my guitar around. Didn't work last time I tried :rolleyes:

• Members

Aw man, just do whatever's in yer pants.

I usually don't get too active, but I like it when I see bands getting into it as long as it doesn't look contrived but they are just having a good time.

Now that it's been 8 years since I took the stage and I'm older and chubbier, I'd probably move even less than I used to.

• Members

This is a serious issue. In order for you to be considered a professional musician you have to make sure you have stage presence with the genre of music you play. It's so extremely important that.........AHHH Hell - you do what you want when you want and enjoy yourself!

Playing on stage should be enjoyable - I've seen bands move all over the place and loved it and I've seen one guy in the band going nuts and loved it, and seen the whole band stand and just play and loved it.

It just doesn't really matter all that much as long as there's beer.

• Members

i'm generally kinda shy, so usually i stick to smaller head nods and swaying. sometimes i get more active though. i once jumped off the drum rise so i landed on a big downbeat, and i'm also a stomper.:thu:

• Members
thrust my hips and constantly run my hand through my hair..... ocassionaly I like to point and wink
;)

Yeah! Just like Steve Buscemi did in the movie "Airheads" when the band went to prison - I'm sure that it would go over with the rest of the boys!:rolleyes

• Members

DO WHAT COMES NATURAL...whatever that may be. If you naturally rock out, let yourself go. If you stand in one place and just play, that's cool, too.

Do NOT try to be something you're not. Nothing looks sillier and more amateurish than someone whose stage "moves" are obviously contrived.

Archived