Why do people compare PC to MAC? Does 90% means anything?

audioicon

Good points,
John
. And the Atari platform, Notator Logic, and Cubase had an even stronger market share in Europe (and Australia?) than in the US -- boosting first the Mac and then the PC as the products migrated after Atari's collapse.

I was sad to see Atari go. I always felt that platform held great promise for musicians.

That platform had great potential too.

Best,

Geoff

Atari just couldn't keep up to date on the hardware side, didn't have many dealers (the nearest one was in Bellflower), and they did little advertising - and so they dropped to a mere blip in the marketplace and finally gave up on computers completely. :( I was an early adopter of Notator, having purchased it at version 1.12. I upgraded it all the way through the final version - 3.21, and still have a couple of 1040 ST/e's, a Mega ST/e, color and monochrome monitors, a Unitor II and a LOG 3 sitting in storage. I still think it ranks as my favorite MIDI sequencer ever. Yes, I went on to the first version of Logic PC and used that for ages too (until Emagic orphaned me by dropping PC support), but Notator was just way ahead of its time, and I wish to this day I had that notation display MIDI editing capability in Pro Tools. :( It really was a great program.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Deanmass - I'd like to know what server this site uses as it's the only site I visit that goes offline for maintenance"

I am guessing Red Hat/Apache/PHP. I am also guessing it goes down because it might be a dedicated server (i.e. one unit) , rather than a virtual host or cluster, and they are modifying the scripts that host the forums.

• Members

I still think it ranks as my favorite MIDI sequencer ever.

That's because I believe MIDI was a DMA process that was almost hard-wired into the processor. The MIDI timing on the Atari was far superior to any other computer, period. In fact I haven't done any testing lately but for all I know, it's still better than what we have to work with today.

• Members

I made the move and for the first several weeks, it felt strange but then something happened... I felt the machine was an extension of myself. Something I never felt on a PC. That is why I love MACs. To this day I use PCs at the office and though I know my way around it, I feel like I`m working with mittens on.

be lucky,

EB

I had a similar experience. I was using a Panasonic Toughbook at work and an iMac at home. While the PC was demanding double clicks, right clicks and doe-see-dos, I felt the Mac was working smoothly with me. I wish I had a dollar for every time the PC would ask "Are you sure?", as if, with a wrong response, I could trigger World War III or invade an oil-rich country (take your pick). I realize that some of this was the proprietary software our company used, but I would see it often on my wife's PC. It's as if the Mac trusted the user and the PC didn't. Of course, the PC allows itself to be penetrated by the wonders of spyware, Trojan Horses and virus-bearing goodies like a cheap hooker, spawning spinoff industries to prevent such infection. That's the one time I feel the Mac doesn't trust its user, asking for a password when something is being downloaded. To be fair, I don't have much experience with XP, and when luminaries like Craig say it's a better setup than its precoursers, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. They are all just tools, like Fords and Chevies, Fenders and Gibsons.

• Members

"Are you sure?"

That is the one question people seem to want some MS software to ask...

If there is one thing that business people mention about MS's Access database manager's basic behavior, it's that forms by default let you edit your data directly -- whether you realize you are or not. It's really easy, for instance, to spin your mouse wheel and inadvertantly change the selected option in a combo box [dropdown] or accidentally wipe out the contents of a field. If you should then close the form or move to another record without hitting the escape key, the changes are saved, whether you know you made them or not. (You can code around this behavior but it takes a little work.)

But I know what you mean.

While I really do like XP, some of the "superficial" UI aspects are pretty irritating. My "favorite" is access to VM. If one goes in from the Start menu, it's something like 12 or 13 steps to set the VM size. What are those steps? -- all but TWO of them are simply navigating there through menus and tabs and dialogs and -- my favorite UI sub-feature -- "magic" tabs and buttons that only appear unders certain circumstances. I wish to heck they'd just lay it all out in a hierarchical menu.

... well... with version 7.3 of Pro Tools you have now the "Send to Sibelius" function...

True, and really need to check that out (I'm still running PT LE 7.1 and MPT), but (and please correct me if I'm wrong Gus) I don't think I could use that to track a MIDI part, then see it laid out in notation, see the G# I played by mistake on a notation style screen, grab the G# and pull it down 1/2 step with the mouse and move on to my next mess up. Notator let me do that back in 1988, and I really miss that capability - I'm just more comfortable with working with a notation paradigm when editing MIDI, with the occasional use of an edit list for fine tweaking than I am with the "piano roll" metaphor.

Hopefully someday there will be full / integreated and editable MIDI notation in PT. Hope springs eternal... ;)

That's because I believe MIDI was a DMA process that was almost hard-wired into the processor. The MIDI timing on the Atari was far superior to
any
other computer, period. In fact I haven't done any testing lately but for all I know, it's still better than what we have to work with today.

I believe you're correct Craig - I think it was a DMA process on the Atari. And the timing was tight. And maybe it's just the fact that I used it so much, and it was one of my first computer sequencers that I really "took to", but I thought Notator was just the shizzle. :)

• Members

Phil, I think you can record a performance in sibelius, correct mistakes, and then export as midi.

Or record midi in another program, edit in sibelius, and whatever.

But doesn't logic pro have a notation and a matrix way (don't know what to call it) of editing midi?

• Members

I get so tired of people trying to compare PC to MAC, 90 percent of the world's computer users uses PC'S, so why the fuss? I use an intel pentium 4, 3.0ghz HT technology and it bites the data.

At the time, I bought my computer for 50% less money for then the cost of a Mac and it would have cost me tons more to buy a mac with equivalent power. Rant if you will but Mac's are too damn expensive.

Thanks to cakewalk I don't have to put up with that garbage.

While I acknowledged that Macs are great computers, the fact is their prices are not set for the poor like me. I hate any company that doesn't think about the poor when they make a product.

And PC has proven my point. All the public libraries I know uses PC not MAC?

I have never used MAC myself and this is also why I stayed away from pro-tools. Companies that preaches "propriety" don't get my money. Not that it matters but it does to me.

Everybody want's to compare Vista to MAC OSX, who cares, 90 percent don't use MAC?

My question is, do you prefer a great expensive almost unaffordable MAC?

Or a great releable "reasonable" PC?

I'll appreciate all your comments even if you think I'm nuts!

Audioicon

Please don't take offense.

However, if you are really poor, how can you be buying any computers at all? I agree Macs are expensive compared to PCs in general. Still, all computers are expensive. Nowadays, Macs are closing the gap a bit, especially for laptops. In fact, if you need a higher end laptop, you will be hard pressed to find a more fully featured one for less money than an equivalent Macbook.

• Members

Please don't take offense.

However, if you are really poor, how can you be buying any computers at all? I agree Macs are expensive compared to PCs in general. Still, all computers are expensive. Nowadays, Macs are closing the gap a bit, especially for laptops. In fact, if you need a higher end laptop, you will be hard pressed to find a more fully featured one for less money than an equivalent Macbook.

The focus of my post is not about rich or poor. I believe computers are a great part of every human existance today. You cannot be civilized if you have no access to computers or computer related technologies.

Now Macs in my opinion did not consider this, when I lived in Sierra Leone, west Africa, they had only one library in the entire capital. With few computers, PC's. So my point is PC's are affordable and the "makers" have taken into consideration that even though computers are now becoming a necessity of life, that doesn't mean everyone can afford it.

Macs are not cheap and they are propreitary, they were not built for everyone.

People use PC because they are affordable and open!

By the way, I don't take offense to anything on here, just ask the administartor and the Prodacer :thu:

• Members

You cannot be civilized if you have no access to computers or computer related technologies.

That would explain why I turn into an enraged foaming-at-the-mouth beast who wants to heave the computer through the window every time the computer takes a dump!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Well lets look at it this way, most stores are using computers for job applications, grocery stores are using computers for self checkout!

The thing is the use of computers is so inevitable that the technology should be affordable to everyone.

Hey Ken, does that really happens?

Audioicon

• Members

Now Macs in my opinion did not consider this, when I lived in Sierra Leone, west Africa, they had only one library in the entire capital.

Macs are not cheap and they are propreitary, they were not built for everyone.

People use PC because they are affordable and open!

:thu:

An old friend of mine lived in Sierra Leone for several years. Before that, it was Zaire and after that, Madagascar, first with the Peace Corps, then with Catholic Relief Services. He was out of Sierra Leone before the big trouble started, thankfully.

Another way to look at the propprietary issue is that for Apple, the emphasis has been on making the hardware proprietary, with the same 90% you mentioned, Microsoft has become a proprietary software company, i.e., you have to play with their field, while the Mac wants you to play with their ball.

Archived