Why do people compare PC to MAC? Does 90% means anything?

audioicon

• Members
:D:D
Great comeback!

But that's not exactly what I meant. Question: Will you be reading the clothes washing machinery magazines, eagerly anticipating the release of next year's line of Whirlpool dryers? Going to the trade shows, dreaming of upgrading your beloved dryer to the next heating-element revision?

If I said "Yes" would you think less of me?

Seriously, I wish I had put as much research into the dryer as I do into instruments or audio gear.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Apple store should have a Pro Tools setup with all the plugs... That would be sweet.

You mean, like a Mac you could buy that's completely tricked out with Pro Tools and a buttload of plug-ins?

There are quite a few places you can buy that, but it's not the Apple Store.

- Jeff

• Members

You mean, like a Mac you could buy that's completely tricked out with Pro Tools and a buttload of plug-ins?

There are quite a few places you can buy that, but it's not the Apple Store.

- Jeff

Nah, I mean like the whole setup in store - okay, maybe a mini-setup, a few mics, a vocal booth. With a big sign! "Your song on iTunes - just $10!!"

• Members

The Mac Pro is actually a good value. I think it was Mac World magazine that configured the same hardware components at Dell and it cost more. Macs also hold their value if you ever want to sell one used. Used PCs are basically worthless after a couple years.

The fact that you can now run Windows and Mac OS software on a Mac makes it very appealing to me. However, on one level I disagree with the "used PCs are basically worthless" after a couple years. If you're trying to sell an old Dell or something, maybe. But I have a computer from 2002 that has a new graphics card, new DVD drive, and some more memory, and it smokes. I've been able to keep PCs alive for much longer than Macs because of the ease of upgrading.

And let's face it, with the introduction of the Intel Macs, you'll see prices plummet on the PPC models.

• Members

However, on one level I disagree with the "used PCs are basically worthless" after a couple years. If you're trying to sell an old Dell or something, maybe. But I have a computer from 2002 that has a new graphics card, new DVD drive, and some more memory, and it smokes. I've been able to keep PCs alive for much longer than Macs because of the ease of upgrading.

See, I've kept a bunch of older computers running by upgrading - both PC and Mac. I have friends that see how I've kept things up and want to do the same - the problem is that I rarely buy an off the shelf cheap PC. I'm very specific about the components I buy and what goes into it, which makes upgrading much easier.

A $300 Dell {censored}box is going to last you almost exactly as long as a $300 Dell {censored}box should.

I must say, though - upgrading macs used to be much easier and less expensive.

I have a computer from 2002 that has a new graphics card, new DVD drive, and some more memory, and it smokes. I've been able to keep PCs alive for much longer than Macs because of the ease of upgrading.

I'm typing all this on my 2001 computer. One of the first Pentium IV @ 1.5 GHz. One gig of RAM and all the peripherals and it is still very solid as my main "office" machine. I can run REASON 2.5 and LIVE 5.2 on it but this is not the main audio machine.

• Members

Yup. When I buy a new computer,the old "music" computer becomes the new "office" computer. Same goes for Mac or PC.

Really, I just don't get this Mac vs. PC thing. Makes about as much sense as Les Paul vs. Strat.

When they work, either one is great. When they don't work, either one sucks.

• Members

YOU should have a generic PC. I have a generic PC.

But... it's my post-OSX-introduction position that people who THINK they want a Mac should definitely get a Mac (everything else being equal but, of course, it never is).

Otherwise, they will likely find themselves irritated by Windows every time they turn around and any little thing that goes wrong they'll be saying, "Man, I HATE my PC. I shoulda bought a Mac."

And while I don't dispute that they probably shoulda -- I just don't care to hear about it, anymore. :D

So they should just buy a Mac and get it over with.

(Mind you, I am NOT saying I think it's a superior platform nor that I think it is a trouble-free platform. I have a folder in my net favorites called "It Just Works..." FILLED with exceptions to that pithy would-be truism as no doubt some will recall from a few months ago when I was "sticking up" for generic computing. And it has grown a fair amount since then, too.)

FWIW, I just got an updated "My Comupter Sucks" index (google the quote-demarked phrase "my ___ sucks" and count the returns) and the results may be a bit shocking:

"my PC sucks" - 885

"my Mac sucks" - 768

Pretty stunning, huh, considering that Macs account for only about 5% of the desktop computers in the US (and about 3% worldwide).

• Members

The fact that you can now run Windows and Mac OS software on a Mac makes it very appealing to me. However, on one level I disagree with the "used PCs are basically worthless" after a couple years. If you're trying to sell an old Dell or something, maybe. But I have a computer from 2002 that has a new graphics card, new DVD drive, and some more memory, and it smokes. I've been able to keep PCs alive for much longer than Macs because of the ease of upgrading.

And let's face it, with the introduction of the Intel Macs, you'll see prices plummet on the PPC models.

Actually, I helped some friends sell a G4 Powerbook that was sold originally around the same time my (refurbished) Dell Centrino Inspiron originally was sold.

The cute little 12" PB cost right around $2800 in summer 2003. It was sold with a 3 year bring-it-to-the-Apple Store warranty. My less-cute 15.4" machine would have cost new about $2100 with the same 3 year next-day-onsite warranty I bought when I got the machine, refurbed for $1725 [to the door]. (IOW, the PB was about 33% more than a new version of my machine about the same time. They both had 512MB or RAM when configured and 7200 rpm drives. [At least according to the Apple Store receipt. It seemed painfully slow to me.])

By summer 2005, the PB's resale was $600-800 (in my eBay research) while the resale from my considerably cheaper machine was still in the $900 area.

[bTW, my machine could compute CIRCLES around the PB, which died about 8 months ago. Mine, about 3 years after I bought it refurb, is still a rockin' little trooper. Touch wood. ;) FWIW, the "Macintel" MacBook they replaced the PB with seems to me a MUCH better machine than the PB, although it doesn't feel as fast as I would have expected -- and the fan kicks into high at unexpected times, like simply playing back an AAC with nothing else going. But, those ish not withstanding, it's a pretty cool little machine, cute as a button, and blows the old PB outta the water.]

• Members

I just bought an HP with an Athlon dual core, 2G ram, 250GB sata drive, dvd burner, name brand(Asus) motherboard, not to mention USB 2 and firewire connections galore built in for under $650. If you look, you can find what you need at an affordable price.

No way are you doing that with a Mac.

I'm in the market for another computer right now because my kids have virtually taken over the two that I currently use. I've been looking at Duo Core PC systems with processors having a minimum of 3G, 2G ram, and 250G HD. Some have light scribe DVD burners, others not. Some are equipped with high tech sound cards, others not. The price is NOT cheap for the bare bones of what I would consider acceptable for what I need.

In pricing things out, I actually took a peek at some Mac's and thought, wow, the price is comparable; might be worth giving Apple another shot. Then I thought, EVERY program I own is PC compatible; nothing for a MAC. I have a LOT of high tech, high dollar programs, that are geared for PC use that would have to be entirely replaced to make the switch to Apple because of proprietary issues. Having thousands of dollars tied up in software programs ranging from Sonar PE, to videography programs, to high tech photo editing programs, to MS developing programs, and such.................... WHY would I want to make the switch to Apple so that I would have to buy all of that stuff over again????????????????????

:confused:

I'll stay with PC.

• Members

So I don't get it, I have read all the response but can anyone tell me why 90 percent of computer users use PC?

Your question seems to imply that this is a one widget for one need kind of world. It's not.

Some people want to build a computer and save money while others want to buy a computer and save time. Some people want to use a computer for business, others for gaming, others for making music, etc.

These different needs call for different computers -- sometimes powerful, sometimes cheap; sometimes preconfigured, sometimes parted out; sometimes Mac, sometimes PC; sometimes Windows, sometimes Linux, and so on ad infinitum.

There are perfectly good reasons to buy any of these, and that's why all of these options exist. People who want an absolute answer to the Mac vs. PC debate don't seem to get this.

Me, I own a Mac and a PC. Well, kind of -- my PC is a Receptor, a Linux-based computer designed solely for the purpose of running VST instruments. Sure, I could have paid less and built my own PC; but I didn't want to take the time. Hell, I even paid extra to have my software instruments preinstalled by the company that made Receptor so that all I had to do was authorize my VSTs upon delivery of my Receptor. That way, I could get started right away making music and making money from my new purchase.

Time is money, and I paid more so that I could earn more. I used the same philosophy when I bought my first Mac. It opened up work opportunities for me at the time that a PC never would have, and it paid for itself many times over. Now in many other circles, a PC will create more work opportunities than a Mac will. If I were in one of those circles, I'd buy a PC and I'd make sure it would be one that would get the job done and then some.

In short, I'm a pragmatist. Macs aren't inherently better than PCs, but they sure are better in some circumstances. The reverse is also true of PCs over Macs. In fact because of the PC's majority, I'd go as far as to say that it's the better platform to invest in most of the time. But in the music business, it's a different story. The further you climb up the ladder, the more Macs you'll find; and in most top studios, Macs still dominate, not necessarily because Macs are better but often because of inertia -- which is an important reason why PCs continue to dominate in most other fields.

Best,

Geoff

Archived