HOT DEALS Thread: NO SPAM!!

Mazi Bee

• Members

Because his links are encrypted affiliate links that plant cookies for tracking purposes. Most of the music stores (Musician's Friend, WWBW, Music123, etc...) have affiliate programs where they pay people that send them traffic that converts to a sale.

I can understand that, but if he's making any money from the links, it's not from unsuspecting members as you mentioned. He would be paid by the actual stores for his referrals.

Usually it is appropriate for links as the ones you describe to be explicitly identified, but even if RothnRoll is trying to make some money by using referral links, forumites are not affected monetarily. They get the same deal. He's not making any money off them.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but even
if
RothnRoll is trying to make some money by using referral links, forumites are not affected monetarily. They get the same deal. He's not making any money off them.

Sure he is - that's exactly how these programs work. Just because they're not spending the money, doesn't mean they're not the ones generating it for him. He just throws up a few links, then the clickers do all the work while the money goes to him.

Plus, it also kills his credibility. Affiliate linkers link to the best deals they can make a commission on... whether it's the best deal or not. Those that are direct linking have no hidden agenda and are here to help.

He's not linking to anything others can't link to with regular links. All other members here have been linking to help others - he's doing it for the money. He proved that by saying he won't post anymore -- that is one of the most predictable spammer moves out there.

If what he's doing is acceptable at all, then this forum is a spammer's dream come true. All you have to do is register an account, run up the post count and keep it active for awhile to avoid the newbie-attackers... then when you have the trust, just start throwing around affiliate links and watch the money roll in.

If 80% of the posters were doing it and I was singling him out, I could see people having a problem with it. But that's not the case. It's ONE person doing it, that won't even come clean about it.

• Members

I am certain that these are affiliate links.

However, unless this falls under the SPAM rule (it is at least borderline), then it would not violate the terms HERE, and I could care less if the person is truly contributing Hot Deals from respected retailers, which RothnRoll clearly does month after month.

On other Hot Deals forums, when someone posts an affiliate link, either inadvertently or on purpose, another member will usually quickly post a link without the affiliate information and it is up to the reader to decide which link to choose. If it is against the terms, then a mod can easily replace the affiliate link with a direct one.

I think a Mod needs to weigh in on whether affiliate links violate the rules. Until then, here are some non-affiliate links to the coupon links RothnRoll posted:

Guitar Center Save 10%- http://gc.guitarcenter.com/instant-online-savings/?coupon=save10

Music123 March Madness- http://www.music123.com/M123-March-Madness-g10044t0.music123?coupon=mad123

• Members

You're barking up the wrong tree. Douche ^^^^^

Hmmm, now I am suspicious. The person that jumps to the defense joined the forum the same time as the accused. Same person? And attacks bugmenot rather than comment on the issue.

I am glad that bugmenot pointed out the affiliate links.

RothnRoll should continue to contribute but should also disclose his connection, if any.

And thanks to drawdeep for the clean links!

• Members

I pointed it out a while ago that he was doing this. He stopped posting for a few days and then came back with some direct links and now he doing his "paid for posting" links again. He denied it then as now but he will just repeat the process. I think it would be good to have this clarified by the mods and if it is determined to be ok then I suggest that everyone sign up for accounts and repost the same links over and over so we can pick who gets paid :)

• Members

The problem with paid referral links is that you wind up getting postings simply because the poster wants to make money, not because they deserve to be posted. This includes multiple postings of the same thing, postings of questionable "deals", etc. Allowing personal referral links is bad precedent.

• Members

I think it would be good to have this clarified by the mods and if it is determined to be ok then I suggest that everyone sign up for accounts and repost the same links over and over so we can pick who gets paid
:)

Why not cut out all of middle stuff? I'll post my PayPal account email, and you guys can just send whatever cash you want to send me there.

:wave:

• Members

The problem with paid referral links is that you wind up getting postings simply because the poster wants to make money, not because they deserve to be posted. This includes multiple postings of the same thing, postings of questionable "deals", etc. Allowing personal referral links is bad precedent.

Excellent point. Although I have not seen RothnRoll exhibit this behavior (well, no more than anyone else), it certainly could go downhill in a hurry.

• Members
Why not cut out all of middle stuff? I'll post my PayPal account email, and you guys can just send whatever cash you want to send me there.

:wave:

Good idea. We should just start paypalling anyone that posts a good deal in this thread. I mean that's what it is all about right :thu:

• Members

I was checking the used section of the Guitar Center site. Here are two pretty good deals:

Washburn Falcon for $130 (Phoenix)

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104679377

Squier Custom with humbuckers for $100 (Evansville)

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=104684916

I have never ordered from them so I don't know what the deal is for shipping.

• Members

Yep - that's always the case. And when he got called out on it here, his reaction was to threaten not to post anymore. Like us not throwing free money at him is punishing us somehow.

Besides, if anyone is entitled to make advertising money from this site, it's the owners -- not one dishonest poster.

It is never appropriate to spam affiliate links on forums, especially being a direct violation of the advertiser's TOS.

Also, just a few notes about the forums that DO sometimes let them slide and the dishonesty of affiliate marketing...

1. Those posts are usually the site owner, even if he's using a different screen name. Some even throw up a forum just for that purpose. Some/most of the freebie sites do that.

2. In a lot of cases, the site owner goes in and edits the link with their own affiliate codes. Not exactly the definition of honesty either, but at least it's their own site, so they can do what they want.

The mods/admins would be crazy to allow this at all. It is an invitation for a flood of spammers. This site does a lot of volume and that equals a lot of cash for the affiliate spammers. There is a lot of money in affiliate marketing.

• Members
This is a good deal I'd think. Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr amp.
$299
at Musicians Friend right now, regularly $699.

265735.jpg

I clicked on M123's price match link over the weekend to see what they would do, and even though it took them three days to reply, they sent a link with a price of $284.95

Only another $15 off, but better than nothing on an amp that was probably a good deal at $299...

• Members

, why not let others in on the act?

Valid point, but I don't want the floodgates to really open up.

Gotta give 'em one thing though, when true stories of MF/GC/M123/WWBW ineptitude get posted, the posts don't get deleted. There is a limit to how much I want to hear horror stories about customer service, but I absolutely want some level of warning before depending on the merchants. Caveat emptor.

And I do have my share of horror stories. MF Unlimited has gotten too big too soon and things fall through the cracks... and on the other hand, I have been shipped too many of a low cost item (lighting gels, drum sticks) from the occasional merchant member and not charged. Their effective management is a shambles and at their probable turnover rate it will take years if not decades to fix, if ever.

They shouldn't jump in with the Big Dogs until their house is in order.

• Members

1. those are DEFINITELY affiliate links. I have the same ones for my websites, though for now I have not really posted them there - or here, for that matter.

2. RnR brings value to the board with all his posts, so I have no problem with him making some dough from it

3. yes, it should be accompanied by a disclaimer explaining that they are aff links...

• Members

1. those are DEFINITELY affiliate links. I have the same ones for my websites, though for now I have not really posted them there - or here, for that matter.

2. RnR brings value to the board with all his posts, so I have no problem with him making some dough from it

3. yes, it should be accompanied by a disclaimer explaining that they are aff links...

+1

Archived