Cars and Guitars

Freeman Keller

• Members

CHROME AND STEEL

1998 Harley Davidson XL1200, 1980 Dobro Duolian

Sometimes you just need to be loud, in your face, nasty, show an attitude. Wake up the neighbors, make the dog howl and the cat hide. Riding a Harley, even a girlie bike like mine, will do that; so will playing a metal resonator.

There is no such thing as a stock Harley

• Members

hmm... I cant do pics of em cause I buy and sell more stuff than a pawn shop but here are a few pairings I guess would work.

1972 Cadillac Hearse (goth kid's delight)- Black Flying V

1968 Ford LTD (pristine classics)- Aria Pro II PE-450

1979 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner (Redneck Hotrod)- Banjitar & Stella Mae

1991 Acura Integra (small and efficient)- Yamaha FG-75

1968 Honda Civic custom convertible (Cross Breed)- Old Hot Rodded Harmony Electric

1998 Sebring (makes people think your Gay)- 1950's Truetone

1988 Grand Wagoneer (The King)- Nagoya N18 and Yamaha FG-435

Not all my cars or guitars but a fairly encompassing list.

• Members

Freeman, you're living the dream. I buy a car and run it into the ground. My best car was a no-frills Chevy with 210,000 miles on it. I got it for $1 and 5 years later I gave it away to a single mother who needed it more than I did. I went and bought a Pontiac and have been driving that car for 12 years now.

Same with my guitars. I got my Tak as a gift 20 years ago and it's in rough shape from my carelessness. Now I'm thinking of disecting it in order to learn how build my own.

• Members

Freeman, you're killing me man....what gorgeous cars...I always wanted a Jaguar (XK150 or XKE) , but never bought one, same goes for an MGTDC. Love the way you match your guitars to your cars...

Before the kids, I had a few neat little rides....mine were:

1962 Willys Jeep, 1959 MGA, 1963 MGB, 1969 Spitfire, 1964 Volvo P1800, 1970 'Cuda 340/6pack.

They are all gone now, but loved them...probably liked the MGA the best...I had to rebuild it from the ground up.

I never took pics with guitars though.....great idea. I just go to car shows now (every week in Florida) a drool over some of the real gems that are out there.....maybe one day.

• Members

Freeman, I see you daily driver is a Subaru. I just got rid of one (Outback wagon) because it was not all that it was cracked up to be. How's your fairing?

Still, there's a certain allure about driving one with AWD. It sure came in handy in the winter months, but it had ZERO cargo capacity unless you paid out the nose for the "designer" extras for the roof rack. I have a Trek cycle (which should have fit with the whole "image" of the Subie) but fact was that I couldn't even fit it in the hatch back and I wasn't about to remove the tires just to run it down to the service station to pump up the tires.

The suspension was also quite stiff. I'd wager that many of your guitars would be bounced out of tune on some of the back roads up there in the PNW. ;)

• Members

very cool. i like the deuce, especially since you kept the flathead. did you buy the Deuce as it is or did you build it? yourself? and, umm ,... is it real? (there are tons of kit Speedsters and Cobras running around; i know there are lots of '32 frame and body builders).

the BMW is cool. sounds like you did a bit of work on that. good, also, to hear you've put it on the track.

i'm a car guy, too. maybe will post some pics. Porsche guy, mostly, and until recently raced (vintage, PCA, SCCA) a bit. it is soooo much fun...

i'm into hot rods, but don't have one. i'm toying with the idea, but it will have to be a four-seater (for the childs). probably something later- 50's or early 60's 'big boat'. Although I would like to find a Hudson: "hot rod from the box", or a big Galaxie, early Lincoln, or an Exner-bizarro product- convertibles all.

have you read Dean Batchelor's book "The American Hot Rod"? the best book i've read on the subject: great pics and detailed, accurate and very interesting history.

• Members

Thanks everyone, it was fun to put that together. Now time for answers to a couple of questions.

very cool. i like the deuce, especially since you kept the flathead. did you buy the Deuce as it is or did you build it? yourself? and, umm ,... is it real? (there are tons of kit Speedsters and Cobras running around; i know there are lots of '32 frame and body builders).

the BMW is cool. sounds like you did a bit of work on that. good, also, to hear you've put it on the track.

The deuces (there are two in the pictures0 are not mine - a friend let me include them because they fit the theme. They are real, steel and he's got another in progress (and two rare grills hanging on the wall). The high boy is very retro - dropped axle, 48 flathead, strombergs, tall skinny tires - it could have been built in the early sixties. The other (red grill) is a classic full fendered 3 window, small block, chopped...

The Bimmer has had all the usual (and a couple of not so usual) mods - suspension, big brakes, tweaked motor (I just took the side drafts off cause they were such a hassle). The neat part of that car is a Euro spec close ratio 5 speed (5th is not overdrive) - it lets the car stay on the cam. Not real fast but quite quick - surprises the Vets on a short course autocross.

Thanks for the nice comments - it was fun to do this and I knew it might touch a few folks.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

hmm... I cant do pics of em cause I buy and sell more stuff than a pawn shop but here are a few pairings I guess would work.

1972 Cadillac Hearse (goth kid's delight)- Black Flying V

1968 Ford LTD (pristine classics)- Aria Pro II PE-450

1979 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner (Redneck Hotrod)- Banjitar & Stella Mae

1991 Acura Integra (small and efficient)- Yamaha FG-75

1968 Honda Civic custom convertible (Cross Breed)- Old Hot Rodded Harmony Electric

1998 Sebring (makes people think your Gay)- 1950's Truetone

1988 Grand Wagoneer (The King)- Nagoya N18 and Yamaha FG-435

Not all my cars or guitars but a fairly encompassing list.

My 1st "car" was a '59 Caddy Hearse, much like this one, but w/ an exquisite "hippy" paintjob (courtesy of my then-sweetie, Marilyn "Moonflower" McKeever ;))

1959hearse.jpg

7srbavdh8hbzvahs.jpg

Pic of Moonflower, taken at our 25th High School Reunion w/ her "vaguely famous" cousin, Faye :p

• Members

Freeman just a sec, I have to wipe the drool off my chin first, WOW, I love your cars and I share your passion for cars myself, I just moved from CT. to California and I went to a local car show two weeks ago, I have to say I was knock out by how many quality cars and the amount of cars that are just here locally it ran the gamut from model As to T buckets, Deuce coupes, 40 to 50s lead sleds 50s to 70s muscle cars it was heaven :love:

Archived