2017 Tribute T NGD

pekelnik

• Members

I haven't posted anything substantial here in years, but perhaps the last guitar is interesting to some. (I also have a thread open on one of the LP fora)

I was eye-ing the 2017 Honeyburst Les Paul Tribute T. It seemed to have everything I want and I wanted something similar to my SG that I won't be afraid I'll damage. Then suddenly, with a snap, they were gone in all stores on continental Europe (that I could find), with the exception of one in Luzern, half an hour away. So I went there and first time in a decade, bought a guitar in a brick-and-mortar store.

LP1s.jpg

LP2s.jpg

• Members

Then I patiently waited for a month as nitro I ordered from R&F lost it's labels and was sent back, and a new one was sent. Once I got it, I masked the sides and fretboard and started putting on layers. A single nitro rattle can, this is the nicest finish of any kind I have ever tried to put on anything, and easiest to work with.

LP13s.jpg

Last coat on, tape is coming off. Now I'll need to patiently wait until the finish cures.

LP14s.jpg

• Members

That is a heck of a lot of work just to add some "binding" but it looks good. I've always liked the way PRS does that trick and I've always like wood binding instead of plastic.

When I first saw this I thought "how is he dealing with the incompatibility with the factory poly finish" but then I realized that the Tribute T is lacquer. It should look nice when its all buffed.

• Members

It's a lot of work, but somehow the guitar seemed to be missing the binding, and I also like the faux binding though it doesn't really fulfill the protective function. And in addition, the lacquer on the front was really thin and this will protect more in addition to being deeper, a little darker, and more glossy.

Initially I really thought I will be done with the sanding in an evening, but in order to do it really well one just has to take time. The sides weren't too difficult with the masking tape on, but for the top I needed to make this two-bits-of-wood jig that you can see, to make the binding uniformly thick.

• Members

I liked that two-bits-of-wood jig (and may borrow the idea). I've seen a little jig that holds a box cutter blade with just the tip sticking out - as you know Gibson finishes over their plastic binding, then scrapes the color off and shoots clear. Your solution is brilliant and seemed to work very well.

I agree with you about how much better this looks. I had kind of an antithesis situation - I built an all mahogany copy of some of the cheap (acoustic) guitar from the Depression era - I didn't want to bind it but I wanted to protect the edge and make it look finished. I ended up putting mahogany binding with no purfling and made an extra effort to hide the glue line.

• Members

I have tried scraping it (not going all the way to the actual edge to see what it would have looked like) and I wasn't happy with the edge which was too jagged, and it seemed too likely that I will accidentally scratch the top.

• Members

Yeah, I think your method was much better here. Scraping works fine when you have a definite edge to the binding but in your case you were trying to define that edge. I've learned that when I scrape the binding if I go around it first with the tip of a box cutter and score at the glue line it scrapes much better.

IMG_3372_zpsajhadgml.jpg

I know Paul Reed Smith does something like what you did but I don't actually know the method. Anyway, I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it all buffed and back together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
This looks absolutely amazing.

You make me wonder whether I should attempt something like that with my LP standard faded or my SG tribute 70s......

In case of the standard, you shouldn't need anything more than wet-sand and polish. I think it's the same with the SG but I don't know. If it isn't grain filled, you'll gain something but not full gloss...

• Members

Yes, I added the poker chip, I also changed rear covers to cream (the original ones were strange- black plastic with sort of tolex pattern??), and for now I'm not putting the pickguard back on because... it's just so pretty.

It is still super light and resonant, 3.58kgs (7 lb 14oz).

For the goldtop, I *think* it should be enough to wet-sand and polish. I put more lacquer on it because I already needed to cover the sanded sides, and because I thought the top was thin and not protective enough. The result is still much thinner than a production LP and about what a builder would put on it.

I'm really happy with it, I can't find any defects (there is a bit of sanding residue left on the first photo that I cleaned meanwhile). On the minus side, it was supposed to be the "beater" guitar and now I feel like touching it in gloves :)

Archived