Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG, I Don't Need Radio Shack Any More!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have bought a few things from them, most recently a new reverb tank...their shipping costs are a tad high, but they do have what you need to keep your gear up or do mods.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

$100 a piece for 6550s? Great googly moogly! I'll have to look through my tube box and see if I have any. If I can sell a couple for that, I can afford a nicer hotel room for the NAMM show.

Radio Shack not only used to sell tubes, but every store had a tube tester. But then, back in that day, drug stores had tube testers and sold tubes, too. That was back when you could fix your TV by replacing a tube, as long as you put the tubes back in the right sockets after you've brought the bag back from the drug store (or Radio Shack).
      Our local Radio Shack even sold TV's and had a repair dept. . I started about 1972 helping my dad in his TV repair shop . Tube checking was one of my first jobs , that and cleaning TV tuners . Nice mark-up on tubes buy one wholesale for $3 sell for $10 e , that is why the drug stores were in the biz . Tubes were high failure items in TV's , lots of heat build-up in the cabinet didn't help .Long time ago .

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
        Radio Shack not only used to sell tubes, but every store had a tube tester. But then, back in that day, drug stores had tube testers and sold tubes, too. That was back when you could fix your TV by replacing a tube, as long as you put the tubes back in the right sockets after you've brought the bag back from the drug store (or Radio Shack).
        Remember the little numbered sticker sets they used to offer to make that task easier? One for the socket, one for the tube...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I too got started in electronics by fixing TVs and radios for my Dad when I was 8 or so. He was a repair tech at Montgomery Wards. He handed me his entire correspondence course in electronics (several thousand pages) and I found in fascinating. I read it cover to cover. Good memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
            So HC has ads...and sometimes I click on them. Well, I saw a banner from Amplified Parts and it was animated so I clicked on it (like raccoons, I'm attracted to shiny objects).

It's like someone invented Radio Shack for musicians. A 3PDT footswitch! Potentiometers with all kinds of switches! Enclosures!! They even have reverb tanks. Time to make a new Hot Springs reverb.

I suppose it's bad form to pimp an advertiser but jeez, it's just so cool that this place exists. I didn't see ICs in there, but I can find those elsewhere. Guess it's time for me to revise Electronics Projects for Musicians.
            Electronics Projects For Musicians .... the book that made countless musicians learn the art of guitar mods .... a must have for guitarists and bassists !!!!

Comment

I have ordered a few times from these guys ....They are FAR AWAY. (Thailand) The order usually takes up to a month but you can't beat their prices.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Dan
              Last edited by techristian; 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM.
              http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
              Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

Fry's is now the go to retail store here for most electronic parts. They had a much wider variety of parts before Radio Shack went "boobs" up, mostly due to Radio Shack having long ago focused on phones and RC toys. If Fry's doesn't have it, there's a parts place in Austin mostly for pros due to the uni and Pickle Research Center being across the street.

One thing Radio Shack was sooo consistent at was batteries, consistently terrible! Their batteries discharged so quickly I was always tempted to cut one open and see if was really just a foil capacitor!

Strangely, there's still one RS open here in Austin at Capital Plaza. They don't seem to have changed at all.

Terry D.
                Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Fry's doesn't have any stores in the East, at least not anywhere near me. Sometimes when I have time to kill near LAX airport, though, I'll go browsing the Fry's around there. More than once I've found something that I've been looking for and, if it's small enough, bought it.
                  --
                  "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                  Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on amplified parts Craig. Around here (boonies) RS stores were nothing more than Sprint stores for the last few years. I got frustrated every time I tried to find something simple ...
                    Bob
                    Guitars - Amps - Related Toyz - Reaper/Studio One/SONAR

"The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season"
                    - from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs View Post

Strangely, there's still one RS open here in Austin at Capital Plaza. They don't seem to have changed at all.

Terry D.
                      That's why all the other stores have gone under. Aside from using 50% of their sq-footage for cell phones, RS was always kinda like Sears...higher priced than their competition and not offering anything much in return. =poor value.

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                        Hey, are you the same BobF who does the intelligent posts over at the Cakewalk forum? If so, welcome!
                        I'm the same guy ... I thought I would come over and see what you have going on over here. A lot of great stuff to absorb here.
                        Thanks for the warm welcome
                        Bob
                        Guitars - Amps - Related Toyz - Reaper/Studio One/SONAR

"The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season"
                        - from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Working...
                        X