No announcement yet.

Bi_curious

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi_curious

I spend equal time on acoustic and electric gits. Help or hurt my guitar path?
    "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

It certainly won't hurt, Pops. As a general principle I think it's a good idea to play different guitars. I play acoustic (a few different models of varying sizes, specs, etc including a 12 string), electric and classical guitars. It's all good..

Howard

Comment

I'm about 50/50 electric and acoustic. I think it's great to know how to play both. It's a totally different touch.

Comment

Ive always believed it makes you a better player - In my case when i was a kid , i played the electric
        at night when my parents were sleeping -so not to wake them . working and going to school was hard enough
        without being able to play my guitar when i wanted to -loved that Tele !

Comment

I agree with everyone. It helps.
          Instruments:
          Custom Dreadnaught Solid Hog

Comment

I've played acoustics for 40+ years - almost totally solo fingerstyle stuff. I want to play something you would recognize as a song. I built an electric a couple of years ago (not sure why) and have never really learned to play it as an electric. Yeah, I can noodle around with pentatonic solos but since I down play with anyone playing rhythm that most of my "soloing" just turns out to be riffs. Its good for my pick control and fretboard knowledge and all of that but I never really bonded with the electric guitar.

Last year I built a couple of jazz style electric guitars for very good jazz playing friends and this fall I got bored and built one for myself. That has forced me to completely start over guitar playing - I'm now truly learning the fretboard, some music theory, how chords are composted and move around. I've moved from I, IV, V to ii, V , I, and started trying to play those wonderful chord with names that can't be pronounced. I wish I had done this 20 years ago.

Comment

I play both electric and acoustic.

Acoustic more these days, but I did play some electric guitar these week. It was fun.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I've played both for years, but am for the first time considering getting a nylon-strung classical style guitar after playing one at somebody else's house and realising how much fun finger-picking is, and how much better it is on a guitar that's made for it.
                Quack
                "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" ~ Jimi

Comment

Originally posted by eddidaz View Post
                  I've played both for years, but am for the first time considering getting a nylon-strung classical style guitar after playing one at somebody else's house and realising how much fun finger-picking is, and how much better it is on a guitar that's made for it.
                  Good idea. I exited electric years ago and then steel string acoustic just under 2 years ago, opting for nylon, and play a Yamaha classical with a cut and a factory system installed. I run it through a Fishman SA220 and can honestly say it's more fun than I've had in many years.
                  “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.”
                  John Adams, The Works Of John Adams, Second President Of The United States

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace in a continual state of alarm (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing them with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
                  H.L. Mencken

Comment

Excellent. Enjoy.
                    Howard

Comment

Originally posted by poppytater View Post
                      I spend equal time on acoustic and electric gits. Help or hurt my guitar path?

If you really want to mix it up a bit, grab a lap slde. Maybe a resonator.

I use a Stevens bar when I play mine. I must admitted I kinda suck at it, but it's fun.

You can set up any guitar for lap slide work.

Nels Cline works it, but for the most part he makes a lot of noise on lap slide, but not here.

Last edited by Mikeo; 04-02-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I hadn't played the Les Paul clone in a month or so (kind of smitten by the jazzy new blond) so I got it out last night. Reverted back to my pentatonic riffs but it was fun (and so easy) to play. Heavy tho, LOL

Put it away and got the tri cone out - what a difference - heavy strings, high action - just so many ways to play a guitar.

And yes, a little lap sliding..

(not me, I built two Wessenborns a couple of years ago, this is the owner of one of them)

Comment

I've got dozens of guitars, but I still need to get a decent nylon string - thanks for the reminder!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I've got dozens of guitars, but I still need to get a decent nylon string - thanks for the reminder!

I hear ya, don't remind me what I needz.

Comment

It's all guitar. The only difference is where the sound comes out.
                              Del
                              www.thefullertons.net
                              ( •)—:::
                              Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Working...
                              X