Good headstock tuner ?

Tomm Williams

• Members

Snarks are well liked and they work well. WRGKMC reviewed the TC Electronic Polytune clip-on a while back: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31542423-polytune-clip-on. Appears to be a very good tuner but they're not cheap. I bought a cheap Eno ET-33 on eBay a while back. You can see my review here: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/31525656-ntd-new-tuner-day-and-review. Good luck.

• Members

i own a snark sn-2 and i'm very happy with it

if you go with snark you need to be carefull with which modell you go, sn-2 and sn-8 are cromatic (you can tune any note) while sn-1 and sn-5 are only for guitar.

i went with sn-2 instead of the "newer" sn-8 cause the sn-2 display has more and smaller led stripes, which give at least the impression to be more accurate. if one or the other is better or more accurate i can't tell, but i like my sn-2 and for $12 at amazon not much is lost

• Members

When it comes to clip-on tuners, my new favourite is the polytune tc. Good quality. Very good quality. Fast and accurate. I do not use the poly tuning mode that much, but one nice feature is that you can strum a chord - G for instance - and it shows you the chord and how far the strings are out of tune in regards to that chord. Makes fine-tuning to a specific mode easier.

But the poly is not cheap.

Cheap and cheerful... it has to be the Snark. IMHO not as good - neither in quality, accuracy or speed - but still on the "good enough" side.

Still, most (if not all) headstock tuners are not as accurate as a proper strobe tuner. But real strobe tuners play in a completely different league in regards to $$$.

• Members
My only comment is that I was given a cheap little D' Addario clip on tuner and I never use it. It seemed really difficult to zero in on the correct note - I use a lot of altered tunings and prefer a good chromatic tuner like a Korg with a needle - but then they are not clip on.

you should give the snark sn-2 a try. i would not put my hand in the fire that it is also good and very accurate for intonation setup and stuff, but for quick changing from standard to open g etc i haven't used any faster tuner and the clip on works in a noisy environment aswell (e.g. my daughter is watching tv :))

yes the polytune may be the next generation of tuners and from the review here really great, but it costs 5 times more

• Members

It's a matter of right tool for the job. If I'm amplified I always use the polytune on my effects board.

I got the Snark because I regularly find myself with an acoustic instrument in my hands and have to bust out my phone to tune. They're perfect for that - you guys swung me around on that.

• Members

Polytune's are killer tuners because you can see all 6 strings at once. I like how stable and accurate they are single string mode pop[s up when you only pluck a single string so its not like you have to switch modes.

They were on sale about a month ago when I bought mine from sweetwater for like $39, plus they give you a free download for their Digital plugin version for your computer for free. I compared the plugin vs the clip on and they were both dead on accurate to each other.

• Members

I biffed the tuners, keep a 440 tuning fork (if needed) and use relative tuning. It doesn't matter where your relative key lies if you are solo and it works for your voice. Even when I did use a tuner I still followed up with relative corrections that suited my ear and the guitar's natural intonation.

• Members
In my acoustic group' date=' I change tunings frequently with one of my guitars. One of my band members suggested I look into a clip-on Snark tuner rather than my Boss tu-12. Any thoughts on clip-ons ?[/quote']

I have a couple of these for my accousics

41ShEaGGR8L._SY300_.jpg

• Members
Come on Mikeo' date=' throw us a bone! What's your verdict on those? :)[/quote']

I choose the Intellitouch P10 as a friend had one and recommend it.

I bought 2 of em and I better I had mine for over 10 years. They are both still working.

They are back light and nice on a dark stage, and the black indicator works well in the sun too.

On the other hand the Snark SN1 sells for 12 bucks. Add in a extended 15% off MF labor day coupon, and that's like 10 bucks for the SN1.

Spent that much on a 6 pack of beer, a while back.:D

On the other end of the spectrum is the Peterson strobe tuner clip on at 80 bucks.

One could also use the Peterson VS2 and add the clip on accessory.

I kind of like a tuner that if I lone it out, or it breaks, or gets stolen, I'm not gonna pitch a fit about it.

• Members
. . . On the other hand the Snark SN1 sells for 12 bucks. Add in a extended 15% off MF labor day coupon, and that's like 10 bucks for the SN1.

Spent that much on a 6 pack of beer, a while back.:D . . .

If you want really cheap, I paid just shy of $11 shipped for a pair of Eno ET-33's with batteries on eBay. That's every day too so no waiting for a sale. My drink of choice is Diet Coke though, so I can't make a fair comparison. sm-wink

Archived