New vs. Old

katopp

• Members

There has been some ... activity ... in the past, where people have woken up the dead, performing necrophilic acts on threads long dead and gone. Now, to the "regulars" here, necroposting is a no-no, but we have to realize, that not all forae adhere to the same set of rules. There is, indeed, for instance an German musician forum where you are in danger of being flagellated if you open up a new thread if there is an older one that fits. "We want to keep all wisdom in one thematic area", they say. So, there is a thread regarding the purchase of $800 guitars that is longer than the river Nile, but it contains all the collected BS that the community has ever secreted in regards of guitars around the $800 mark. We have the same amount of wisdom spread over half a gazillion threads and hence multiple-multiple redundant heaps of the same irrelevant info.

Hence my suggestion:

Either auto-close old and dead threads after three to six months of inactivity, or live with people coming from different backgrounds, having different experiences and posting into old threads. If we - by any means - return to something that closely resembles the forum activity of 5 or 6 years ago, those necroposts will drop like the proverbial stone anyway...

• Members

^ Bear in mind, several years ago I was a mod on a non-music-related forum. As such, I have a lower BS threshold than some people do. I never had to ban anyone but I issued my share of warnings and I think I may have closed a thread or two. I took the job seriously and kept logging in regularly long after I'd lost interest in the subject.

• Members

I remember, when I first started going on forums, the message I frequently got was, "We had a thread on this, use the search," so I learned to look for existing threads and adding to those rather than start new threads. Apparently, that is also wrong. Perhaps if we had a one-day class before one could post on a forum it would help folks know the rules. :D

• Members
I remember' date=' when I first started going on forums, the message I frequently got was, "We had a thread on this, use the search," so I learned to look for existing threads and adding to those rather than start new threads. Apparently, that is also wrong. Perhaps if we had a one-day class before one could post on a forum it would help folks know the rules. :D[/quote']

I have several threads bookmarked because I refer to them often and frequently link them to people who are seeking some sort of information. Some of them are mine - I'm particularly proud of some of my build threads - some are others that I felt were really good and there is no point in trying to recreate them. Sometimes I send a link to someone and they add a comment to the thread - am I being bad by dragging up a long dead subject rather than trying to start over?

• Members

This is the only forum I know where the members prefer a new thread over suggesting a search and then posting in an existing thread but I think this came about from all the zombie threads that were by one time users that never responded after their initial comment in the thread. Almost seemed like the posters where in fact a robot type program renewing threads to generate activity as crazy as that sounds.

Hope this helps and eat plenty of greens ...

• Members

New. If I have to come here you best be damned sure to post new stuff for me cuz I ain't layin' eyes on no 2nd fiddle, already-bench-chewed rot poast of a thread and calling it groovimous.

My time is valuable, I think, or so I guess I'm supposed to think, I think.

• Members

I jest. I think any path a person takes into any forum is of no consequence to anyone yet those people still act hurt in some manner. Twats. If I came thru a dated, back door post and got stopped by some self-proclaimed sentry I'd verbally slap him silly and take some fun from it when the ensuing pettiness unfolds.

• Members
. . . If I came thru a dated' date=' back door post and got stopped by some self-proclaimed sentry I'd verbally slap him silly and take some fun from it when the ensuing pettiness unfolds.[/quote']

And you'd end up being the first on my ignore list. I have neither time nor tolerance for trolls. As for people reviving dead threads, from now on I'm simply going to refuse to reply to anyone who does. You're welcome to do so but not me.

• Members

When is a discussion is "too old" to respond to. People dreg up philosophical issues that have plagued mankind forever. If only new ideas, or rephrased old ideas, are acceptable, then we learn little. If we look to history, we can still have current and enlightened discussions. New threads are important but bringing up an old discussion isn't so bad either.

• 5 months later...

Archived