No announcement yet.

Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary edition

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

I remember it being Zeppelin vs Aerosmith. I remember arguing with some guy about whether Page or Perry was a better guitar player.

Obviously, I argued for Zeppelin/Page and won....

I didn't really start to get "into" the Beatles until the late 70s. And while I was up on all the current Stones stuff, I didn't really go back to their 60s catalog until they all got put out in CD.

Bringing it back to this thread, I remember when Capitol released Sgt Pepper's on CD for the first time in 1987 with a big "It was twenty years ago today" campaign. It seem THEN like that album was so old. Twenty years earlier seems unthinkable.

Now it's FIFTY years old? Crazy.
    Aerosmith was my second favourite band after Led Zeppelin in high school. I hesitate typing that, because if some younger person is reading this they might think of the Aerosmith in the 80s and 90s.

I was also a big fan of Cheap Trick.

I remember that Capitol Sgt. Pepper's thing, too. I bought the CD when it came out. Back when it was actually "20 years ago today".

My God, I'm old.

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love Cheap Trick too. "Heaven Tonight" is still one of my favorite albums.

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here.

• AJ6stringsting
      AJ6stringsting commented
      Editing a comment
      Dream Police for me.
      Voices , was Cheap Tricks most Beatlesque moment.

Except that Exile is way overrated.
    Actually, no.

It's a flawless double album. Not a bad song on it, and it creates an overall ambiance. It's really the essence of rock and roll, including blues, country, gospel, etc.

It walks all over the White Album.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post
      Actually, no.

It's a flawless double album. Not a bad song on it, and it creates an overall ambiance. It's really the essence of rock and roll, including blues, country, gospel, etc.

It walks all over the White Album.

Even Jagger thinks "Exile" is over-rated.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...on-main-street

I understand a lot of people love it. I just never got it. Tried many times, but can't get into it the way the 4 albums before it are all great for me.

But to each his own. That's why the record store (used to be, when they had them) is so damned big.
      Last edited by guido61; 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Even Jagger thinks "Exile" is over-rated.

I understand a lot of people love it. I just never got it. Tried many times, but can't get into it the way the 4 albums before it are all great for me.

But to each his own. That's why the record store (used to be, when they had them) is so damned big.
        Keith > Mick

Without Keith, the Rolling Stones would be Emotional Rescue.

Jagger thinks it's over-rated because they mixed his voice to the level of the instruments, which is part of it's ambiance.

Comment

Keith > Mick

Without Keith, the Rolling Stones would be Emotional Rescue.

Jagger thinks it's over-rated because they mixed his voice to the level of the instruments, which is part of it's ambiance.

That and he claims he had to finish the album himself because Keith and Jimmy Miller were so out of it.

Comment

That and he claims he had to finish the album himself because Keith and Jimmy Miller were so out of it.
            No, that was Goat's Head Soup. Which is why that one didn't achieve the same heights as the previous four

Comment

No, that was Goat's Head Soup.
              No, it was Exile.

Which is why that one didn't achieve the same heights as the previous four
              They both went to #1 in both the UK and the US and both sold great.

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
                Daryl Flynn commented
                Editing a comment
                Musical heights

• Daryl Flynn
                Daryl Flynn commented
                Editing a comment
                Jimmy Miller was very much involved with Exile.

• guido61
                guido61 commented
                Editing a comment
                I know a lot of Stones fans who swear by "Goat's" I'm not a big fan of either. Give me "Some Girls" over both of them all day long.

Originally posted by E-money View Post
              Listening to the 50th anniversary remix of one of my favorite albums on Amazon Prime right now; pretty damn impressive.

Do yourself a favor and give it a listen, best Beatles' stereo mix I've ever heard.
              I've just bought the CD. Now all I need to do is get my CD player working.
              Strangers on this road we are on,
              and we are not two, we are one.

Comment

I need to look into this. I ONLY know the original stereo mixes. Owing to the hard panning of the gdamn drums(!!!), I couldn't get into the Beatles till after playing for 6 or 7 years. I had to convince myself this was art, not rock, in order to enjoy the unorthodox drum mixes--and worked out, cuz Ringo's drums on those albums aren't exactly ... orthodox.

At first, I would think it heresy to remix such iconic works... buuut maybe it'll be worth it.

The 5.1 surround mix though sounds like a truly brilliant idea! Seems like it could feel like the cover photo come to life.
                My band!:
                www.steelphantoms.com/
                my stage stuff:
                fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                  I need to look into this. I ONLY know the original stereo mixes. Owing to the hard panning of the gdamn drums(!!!), I couldn't get into the Beatles till after playing for 6 or 7 years. I had to convince myself this was art, not rock, in order to enjoy the unorthodox drum mixes--and worked out, cuz Ringo's drums on those albums aren't exactly ... orthodox.

At first, I would think it heresy to remix such iconic works... buuut maybe it'll be worth it.

The 5.1 surround mix though sounds like a truly brilliant idea! Seems like it could feel like the cover photo come to life.

The cover on the box is in 3D as well

Comment

I remember it being Zeppelin vs Aerosmith. I remember arguing with some guy about whether Page or Perry was a better guitar player.

Obviously, I argued for Zeppelin/Page and won....

I didn't really start to get "into" the Beatles until the late 70s. And while I was up on all the current Stones stuff, I didn't really go back to their 60s catalog until they all got put out in CD.

Bringing it back to this thread, I remember when Capitol released Sgt Pepper's on CD for the first time in 1987 with a big "It was twenty years ago today" campaign. It seem THEN like that album was so old. Twenty years earlier seems unthinkable.

Now it's FIFTY years old? Crazy.
                    The Beatles CD roll out was a big deal.

There was controversy over whether they would use the US or U.K. Versions.

Beatles have been late to the game for every new format.

Oddly enough, so have AC/DC.
                    x

Comment

As we speak, I'm watching 'Eight Days a Week' on Hulu.

My 14 year old is mesmerized and neglecting her homework.

This is why I'll always be a 'Beatle Guy.'
                      x

Comment

Henry Rollins' review has the best title:

Henry Rollins: This New Sgt. Pepper Stereo Mix Is So Good I Almost Forgot About Trump

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-...-proud-8212611
                        Last edited by guido61; 05-29-2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

No, it's wrong. I don't like it.

Kill it.

Kill it with fire.

The unorthodox panning was one of the things that made this album so great in the first place. I don't care that everything sounds a bit clearer on these new remixes (does it really? The bass guitar doesn't). It's all in the wrong place, and the magic fairy dust is conspicuous by its absence.

If Sir George Martin were alive today, he'd give his son a deserved slap upside the head.

I'm down as far as Lovely Rita, and I've winced my way through every single track.

Never heard anything so wrong in my entire life.

*fetches original CD release to cleanse ears, HiFi, and air in the building*
                          Last edited by gubu; 05-30-2017, 04:44 AM.
                          flip the phase

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post
                            No, it's wrong. I don't like it.

Kill it.

Kill it with fire.

The unorthodox panning was one of the things that made this album so great in the first place. I don't care that everything sounds a bit clearer on these new remixes (does it really? The bass guitar doesn't). It's all in the wrong place, and the magic fairy dust is conspicuous by its absence.

If Sir George Martin were alive today, he'd give his son a deserved slap upside the head.

I'm down as far as Lovely Rita, and I've winced my way through every single track.

Never heard anything so wrong in my entire life.

*fetches original CD release to cleanse ears, HiFi, and air in the building*
                            I haven't heard the new mixes yet. That being said, the way I first heard the album (and played to death) is the way I 'know' the album. It's the first album I heard where the recording process and the songs melded together to make a 'whole' - a huge part of the artistic merit of the album is the way it was mixed down. That's just the way I'll always want to hear it - exactly the way it was when it was first introduced to me.

I'll give the remixes a listen, but I'm not optimistic. It's sorta like 'Star Wars' - it was great as it was, so why tinker with it?

(that being said, I still prefer 'Pet Sounds' by just a little bit...)
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Working...
                            X