Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary edition

I've lived with this album for 50 years and I absolutely love every iteration that I have heard. I hope they will do the same with "The Beatles" for the 50th of THAT album. And Abbey Road ...

I'd love to hear an exceptionally well done 5.1 mix of Abbey Road. That would rock - and since it was waxed on an 8 track deck, there should be a lot more there for the mixer to work with.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was 13 when Sgt. Pepper came out. Had a mono record player that could play LPs and 45s. Listening endlessly to it pretty much defined the summer of 67.

I never had an actual stereo until 1970 - so that's when I first heard the stereo versions of the older Beatles material. And my immediate thought in was, "Oh, stereo was too new then. They didn't know what they were doing, putting the drums and such all on one side."

'Cause by 1970, the more modern treatment of stereo was developing towards something of a norm. Abbey Road was 1969 and it does not yet sound terribly dated (altho' it's not orthodox by modern standards, as the kick and vocal and bass are not always centered). That's an amazing thing, thinking about it....

So, being something of an historical artifact meself, I can truly say, the stereo Beatle mixes were mostly "second market" stuff, especially the earlier the material, not primary market stuff. And it showed.

So I'm a-ok with the Giles Martin remix. Shoulda been done a long time ago - but probably could not have been done when there were more Beatles around to argue about the details and the money and whether Paul is too much in control and all that depressing crap....

nat

• Members

Picked up a copy at Best Buy today and gave it a listen. It sounds so very crisp and clear. Everything, the vocals, the drums, the guitars...Everything sounds so much clearer and crisper. The bass is no longer muddy and Paul's talent really shines through even more than before on that instrument.

Great job Giles..Great job.

• Members
Was cranking the new 5.1 surround mix of the album yesterday. Pretty damn cool!

Is it really worth $117 to have the 5.1 surround? I wish they would just release it as a single disk like Gentle Giant and Yes Fragile. They are sold as a single disk for like $25 and well worth it.

• Members
No, it's wrong. I don't like it.

Kill it.

Kill it with fire.

The unorthodox panning was one of the things that made this album so great in the first place. I don't care that everything sounds a bit clearer on these new remixes (does it really? The bass guitar doesn't). It's all in the wrong place, and the magic fairy dust is conspicuous by its absence.

If Sir George Martin were alive today, he'd give his son a deserved slap upside the head.

I'm down as far as Lovely Rita, and I've winced my way through every single track.

Never heard anything so wrong in my entire life.

*fetches original CD release to cleanse ears, HiFi, and air in the building*

hmmm.... I think Sir George Martin would be very pleased with his son Giles` work. I was reading a very interesting with George Martin from 1989 or `88... the CD was just blooming and he was talking about how exciting it was to have such high fidelity. He mentioned how The Beatles would have embraced digital and stereo... so I`m not so sure that he would have slapped his son. As Giles` mentions in the interview below, this got Paul and Ringo`s approval and its what they would have done if the technology was there in `66-`67.

Check out this NPR interview... (my apologies if it was already posted)

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/05/23/528678711/why-remix-sgt-peppers-giles-martin-the-man-behind-the-project-explains

I had no clue George Martin lost his hearing in the last years of his life... I was sad to hear that... what a curse for us musicians.

I`m not the biggest fan so I`m not really all that impressed with the stereo version either. These recordings reveal to me the inaccurate singing of Paul and John... I know I know... I get into a lot of trouble when I say this stuff but I hear the poor singing tone, the slightly out of tune vocals... its not very pretty. However, I know this stuff really thrills many so... I guess its good to keep rehashing the past?

And I know so many people drool over the technological achievements of the record but I think thats the wrong reason to celebrate a record. Its sort of like celebrating the computer technology that got us to the moon in `69 instead of the actual event...

• Members

hmmm.... I think Sir George Martin would be very pleased with his son Giles` work. I was reading a very interesting with George Martin from 1989 or `88... the CD was just blooming and he was talking about how exciting it was to have such high fidelity. He mentioned how The Beatles would have embraced digital and stereo... so I`m not so sure that he would have slapped his son. As Giles` mentions in the interview below, this got Paul and Ringo`s approval and its what they would have done if the technology was there in `66-`67.

Check out this NPR interview... (my apologies if it was already posted)

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/05/23/528678711/why-remix-sgt-peppers-giles-martin-the-man-behind-the-project-explains

I had no clue George Martin lost his hearing in the last years of his life... I was sad to hear that... what a curse for us musicians.

I`m not the biggest fan so I`m not really all that impressed with the stereo version either. These recordings reveal to me the inaccurate singing of Paul and John... I know I know... I get into a lot of trouble when I say this stuff but I hear the poor singing tone, the slightly out of tune vocals... its not very pretty. However, I know this stuff really thrills many so... I guess its good to keep rehashing the past?

And I know so many people drool over the technological achievements of the record but I think thats the wrong reason to celebrate a record. Its sort of like celebrating the computer technology that got us to the moon in `69 instead of the actual event...

Of course, my opinion is wholly subjective. Sgt. Pepper is one of the reasons why I started making recordings of my own as a young teenager, and to me, giving it a 21st century top-40 style stereo mix, and some polish and fidelity, is all kinds of wrong.

The record was a perfect piece of art as it was. Would you be OK with a Van Gogh or a Picasso being recomposed in this way, as anything more than an academic experiment? This new mix will apparently replace the original stereo mix in the Beatles' catalogue, and that is also all kinds of wrong, imho.

Also, technically, sonically, and aesthetically, yes, I suppose it's interesting to hear some of the elements a little more clearly, but the bass guitar in particular, has none of the punch and dynamics that it has on the original recording. And, to my ears at least, the new mixes, for all their polish, lack the gel and magic of the original mixes.

This was most notable for me on Within You, Without You. Yes, the remix is remarkably clear sounding. The string section is a revelation, but it quite misses the rather delicious movement and dynamics of the arrangement, which were so beautifully represented on the original mix, and are what makes that track so appealing to the ears in the first place.

I have to say, I don't care to hear these remixes again. And I'm glad I still have the original version on CD.

^^^^^^wholly subjective - don't have a cow! I WISH I had Giles Martin's mixing chops

• Members

Of course, my opinion is wholly subjective. Sgt. Pepper is one of the reasons why I started making recordings of my own as a young teenager, and to me, giving it a 21st century top-40 style stereo mix, and some polish and fidelity, is all kinds of wrong.

The record was a perfect piece of art as it was. Would you be OK with a Van Gogh or a Picasso being recomposed in this way, as anything more than an academic experiment? This new mix will apparently replace the original stereo mix in the Beatles' catalogue, and that is also all kinds of wrong, imho.

Also, technically, sonically, and aesthetically, yes, I suppose it's interesting to hear some of the elements a little more clearly, but the bass guitar in particular, has none of the punch and dynamics that it has on the original recording. And, to my ears at least, the new mixes, for all their polish, lack the gel and magic of the original mixes.

This was most notable for me on Within You, Without You. Yes, the remix is remarkably clear sounding. The string section is a revelation, but it quite misses the rather delicious movement and dynamics of the arrangement, which were so beautifully represented on the original mix, and are what makes that track so appealing to the ears in the first place.

I have to say, I don't care to hear these remixes again. And I'm glad I still have the original version on CD.

^^^^^^wholly subjective - don't have a cow! I WISH I had Giles Martin's mixing chops

I wish you had his ears.

• Members

There's no need to get personal. I don't like the new mixes.

Don't have a cow ;)

I actually agree with you about the bass sounding better on the old mixes, but I think it's outweighed by all of the other improvements.

• Members

Is it really worth $117 to have the 5.1 surround? I wish they would just release it as a single disk like Gentle Giant and Yes Fragile. They are sold as a single disk for like $25 and well worth it.

No it's not worth $117 just for the surround. And yes, I wish they would sell it separately too. But it's a nice set with all the outtakes, book and packaging.

I wonder how many people even have surround sound systems set up for music listening anymore? I know they were big a while back for home theater, but I never got the impression that they were being used for music playback that often, or by a decent percentage of consumers.

• Members

I wonder how many people even have surround sound systems set up for music listening anymore? I know they were big a while back for home theater, but I never got the impression that they were being used for music playback that often, or by a decent percentage of consumers.

Did they release a version that is Quad compatible?

There are probably more people rocking leftover Quadraphonic systems just because they were too lazy to remove them or too caught-up in the 70s.

Did they release a version that is Quad compatible?

Apparently someone did some work on a quad mix, but AFAIK it was never finished or released. I've never even heard of bootlegs of it, much less heard any of it.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14757-Sgt-Pepper-in-Quad-Was-Only-Half-the-Album-Mixed-in-Quad

• Members

There are many users of 5.1 surround for movies. My own Polk mini speaker system cost cost $350 and it sounds great with DTS and Dolby ATMOS soundtracks. I have 2 recordings mentioned above that are packaged just for such systems. I can't listen to Fragile by Yes in regular stereo anymore. They are available online at Amazon and home theater websites. The TV is used for still pics and/or lyrics scrolling in real time.

• Members

I'm definitely getting the new SGT. Pepper release tomorrow.

My older siblings would crank up the Beatles even while I was only a year and a few months, when Sgt Pepper was released.

I've had every Beatle record on vinyl as a hand me down, since the 1970's.

Just like Mr. Emerick said, a defining moment like Sgt, Pepper will probably never happen again .... ever !!!!

Archived