Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary edition

• Members

It is my understanding, however, that this new remix will eventually replace the old one at least in terms of what is available at streaming sites. Not sure about physical media (however long we are still around with that anyway).

Apparently Paul, Ringo, Olivia and Yoko are all quite pleased with it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It is my understanding, however, that this new remix will eventually replace the old one at least in terms of what is available at streaming sites. Not sure about physical media (however long we are still around with that anyway).

Ringo should be pleased as punch because his drums sound fantastic.

He does some beat changes on Fixing a Hole that I never noticed on the original mono or stereo mix.

It is my understanding, however, that this new remix will eventually replace the old one at least in terms of what is available at streaming sites.

Now THAT is something I'm not really in favor of.

Again, I have not heard the new mixes yet, but even if they're amazing, it's revisionist to make that the only version that's available. People should be able to hear the original mixes, or at the very least, the 2009 stereo and mono remasters, which keep those original mixes while cleaning the sonics up a bit...

Not sure about physical media (however long we are still around with that anyway).

As Giles said in an interview I read (and posted a link to in the Studio Trenches), if they weren't, then they wouldn't have been released. They were his "bosses", and they had to be happy with it, or it was a no-go.

• Members

In regard to the original mix and its perceived peculiarities I think it is important to recall the context of the time in which it was done. While the technological limitations of the era are obvious, perhaps the bigger matter is one of 'what was going on in modern music as a whole?' This was after all still the psychedelic era, when doing weird things for the sheer purpose of being weird was in vogue and stereo recording production was a burgeoning technology.

The comparison seems akin to putting a 1917 T-Model Ford up against a 1967 Cobra.

That said, I still think the engineering of Are You Experienced? (same year as Sgt Pepper) is absolutely masterful and I wouldn't muck about with either of them.

• Members

Again, I have not heard the new mixes yet, but even if they're amazing, it's revisionist to make that the only version that's available. People should be able to hear the original mixes, or at the very least, the 2009 stereo and mono remasters, which keep those original mixes while cleaning the sonics up a bit...

Yeah, I guess the idea is that there can only effectively be one version available for streaming. We wouldn't want to confuse Alexa. :lol:

As far as availability goes, there are already 8 gazillion copies of the original mix in print between the 1987 and 2009 CDs, So it's not like it will completely disappear even if it eventually goes out of print. Should be easily available to those who want it and if, for some reason, they don't already have it.

And for future generations, for whom this new mix is mostly intended, they won't know the difference and certainly won't be missing anything if they never hear the original. Just like those of us who grew up completely unfamiliar with the original mono never felt like we missed out on anything even though the mono mix is generally hailed as "definitive".

For me, it's always about the music and reaching people with it. If this new version helps to reach new listeners who otherwise might not bother, then its all good. Which I'm sure is exactly what the Beatles are hoping for. They don't really need to impress the people who already think the album was perfect.

• Members
If Sir George Martin were alive today, he'd give his son a deserved slap upside the head.

You obviously haven't heard the "Love" remixes done while George was still alive! Those are way over the top. They have stereo, center panned drums just like the new mixes. However, they were never presented as the official album, so I guess it's a different story.

• Members

As Giles said in an interview I read (and posted a link to in the Studio Trenches), if they weren't, then they wouldn't have been released. They were his "bosses", and they had to be happy with it, or it was a no-go.

Big 10-4 on the historical value.

Three examples come to mind:

The original version of 'Sure Got Cold After the Rain' from Rio Grande Mud is vastly different from the Six Pack release. Both are still available, however.

Zappa's 'Cruising With Reuben and The Jets' as a 'redo' is terrible and just sounds all wrong. I don't know of any sources for the original other then vinyl.

This last example is a bit different. 'The Bomber' from the James Gang Rides Again included a passage from Bolero, which was deemed a copyright infringement and only could be heard on the first (limited) release. It was quickly redone with that part deleted and for many years the original was nowhere to be heard other than those early LPs. Now, Bolero is back and the other version exists only on physical media.

In all cases I think it is of historical significance that ALL versions can be heard.

By the way, ever wonder what Billie Holiday's voice REALLY sounded like?

• Members

You obviously haven't heard the "Love" remixes done while George was still alive! Those are way over the top. They have stereo, center panned drums just like the new mixes. However, they were never presented as the official album, so I guess it's a different story.

The 5.1 mix of "Love" is AMAZING. But it was created to be a soundtrack for a circus performance, so all of that makes sense.

• Members

Yeah, I guess the idea is that there can only effectively be one version available for streaming. We wouldn't want to confuse Alexa. :lol:

As far as availability goes, there are already 8 gazillion copies of the original mix in print between the 1987 and 2009 CDs, So it's not like it will completely disappear. Should be easily available to those who want it and if, for some reason, they don't already have it.

And for future generations, for whom this new mix is mostly intended, they won't know the difference and certainly won't be missing anything if they never hear the original. Just like those of us who grew up completely unfamiliar with the original mono never felt like we missed out on anything even though the mono mix is generally hailed as "definitive".

For me, it's always about the music and reaching with it. If this new version helps to reach new listeners who otherwise might not bother, then its all good. Which I'm sure is exactly what the Beatles are hoping for. They don't really need to impress the people who already think the album was perfect.

I grew up with the stereo LP and then later the stereo CD. I heard the mono version for the 1st time a few years ago when they came out with the boxed sets. I was less than blown-away by the mono version. I found the mono version to be a bit punchier than the stereo version, but the lack of stereo content made it boring. I owed a lot of my disappointment to be due to over familiarity with the stereo version. But this new version is different. The songs feel more like a band playing together than the series of overdubs that they were. Here are some of my thoughts upon further listening:

Ringo shines through the most. The drums were well played and well recorded, but they were buried under over-dub haze. You can hear variations in his playing that were hazy before. Never knew there was a strong kick drum on the Lucy in the Sky verses.

My least favorite song, Within you Without You has new life, not only the Indian and classical instruments, but George's voice is mixed better than the original.

Guitar solos all sound substantially better, from the opening solo of Sgt Pepper, to the long Fixing a Hole solo, to Paul's blazing Good Morning Good Morning solo.

• Members

After typing this I had to go back and listen to Revolver. "Good Day Sunshine" sounds like stereo drums, but oddly panned. I guess there is a drum overdub in addition to the original drum track.

• Members

The 5.1 mix of "Love" is AMAZING. But it was created to be a soundtrack for a circus performance, so all of that makes sense.

I recently heard a demonstration of a 22.1 mix of "A Day in the Life" at an experimental facility at Stanford. :freak:

I don't know what they used for source tracks. It was amazing, but the drums were still panned mostly on the left hand side so it sounded familiar.

• Members

I recently heard a demonstration of a 22.1 mix of "A Day in the Life" at an experimental facility at Stanford. :freak:

I don't know what they used for source tracks. It was amazing, but the drums were still panned mostly on the left hand side so it sounded familiar.

That must have been cool! But yeah....how do you get a 22 channel mix out of "A Day in The Life"?

• Members
That must have been cool! But yeah....how do you get a 22 channel mix out of "A Day in The Life"?

Single tracks or more likely stems must have been spread over multiple speakers. The control room is in the shape of a sphere with speakers on all sides, including directly above and beneath the listener.

• Members

Single tracks or more likely stems must have been spread over multiple speakers. The control room is in the shape of a sphere with speakers on all sides, including directly above and beneath the listener.

Well yeah, but there aren't 22 single tracks or stems to that song. If you break down all the tracks that eventually were all bounced down to the final 4 tracks, I believe there were at most 11 tracks used.

They could have pulled out things that were put together on the same track, I suppose ( like a guitar bit that might have been recorded on an unused bit of a vocal track, if such a thing occurred) or added reverb/echo to new track for ambiance.

Odd that they would have chosen THAT song for a demo of a 22 channel system and not something that actually was recorded with at leasthat many tracks.t

• Members

Odd that they would have chosen THAT song for a demo of a 22 channel system and not something that actually was recorded with at leasthat many tracks.t

The main demo was a vocal choir performance recorded with what they call a "3D microphone array" and played back as if you were standing in a specific spot in the Hagia Sophia (completely with reflected sounds from the floor). I don't know the methodology for the Beatles demo.

• Members

The main demo was a vocal choir performance recorded with what they call a "3D microphone array" and played back as if you were standing in a specific spot in the Hagia Sophia (completely with reflected sounds from the floor). I don't know the methodology for the Beatles demo.

Sounds very cool. Wish I could have heard it!

• Members

I have the deluxe set with the new stereo mix, the 5.1, and the original mono mixes of all of the songs. I bought this album in 1967 on the day it came out (stereo) and it confused the hell out of me, as did Revolver when I first heard it. Repeat listenings have lead me to uncover the beauty and creativity that I missed the first time through.

Last week, I listened to all three versions on the deluxe album and love them each. The 5.1 version was so beautiful and present that I felt like I could reach out and touch Lennon as he sang "Good Morning Good Morning."

I've lived with this album for 50 years and I absolutely love every iteration that I have heard. I hope they will do the same with "The Beatles" for the 50th of THAT album. And Abbey Road ...

Archived