Use a Tube Amp? You're not truly Green.

GY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Or how about the carbon footprint of a single tube amp vs. all the lousy ss amps that someone goes through trying to find one that sounds good?

:D

Or the fact that boutique tube amp builders in North America and Europe (i.e Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Boogie, Carvin, most boutique brands) have to comply with stricter envoronmental regulations than ss mass-producers in Southeast Asia?

BTW, it's extremely green to use vintage gear. My main amp is over 50 years old. No guilt there.

• Members

I just got a new 12AX7 and EF86 for my Electrosonic Supernova tube overdrive. :) Nice ones. ;)

This means that for days, perhaps weeks to come I shall be powered by Rock alone! :rawk:

This is not only good for my trim and girlish figure. :o

It's also good for the planet. :cool:

• Members

I just got a new 12AX7 and EF86 for my Electrosonic Supernova tube overdrive.
:)
Nice ones.
;)

This means that for days, perhaps weeks to come
I
shall be powered by
Rock
alone!
:rawk:

This is not only good for my trim and girlish figure.
:o

It's also good for the planet.
:cool:

Great scot! Tube overdrive! Not only are you using excessive electrons.. you're mutilating them!

• Members

My few actions won't do much to curb anything.

I disagree with that. Considering how much impact 1st world residents have as consumers, our habits have a huge effect all over the world. Every American produces tons of garbage, uses a massive amount of electricty (mostly coal-generated) and eats tons of food every year. I believe we all have a responsibility to reduce our impact and make smart consumer decisions.

• Members

I believe we all have a responsibility to reduce our impact and make smart consumer decisions.

You're right!

Let's eliminate humanity...or live like cavemen....

YOU GO FIRST!

Remember the hysteria of global cooling in the 70's? It was exactly that: hysteria! Reduce CFCs! Reduce CFCs! The Ozone is disappearing!

Well guess the {censored} what? I guess reducing CFCs caused the problem we have today...or is my logic flawed?

Or, do we sensibly keep clean our own environment, recycle when we can, thank God and Mother Earth (if that {censored}'s your bent) that we have the ability to improve our immediate environment and live life the best we can?

Too many people are too busy worrying about how they die, then how they live.

And too many people are too busy worrying about how other's live and should live, instead of SENSIBLY and RESPONSIBLY living among other humans and our world...

The new religion is the environment, and its minions are working hard to preach the good word...The Enviromental Inquisition is coming folks....

Gwinnett county is fining folks who don't recycle.....

• Members

You're right!

Let's eliminate humanity...or live like cavemen....

YOU GO FIRST!

Remember the hysteria of global cooling in the 70's? It was exactly that: hysteria! Reduce CFCs! Reduce CFCs! The Ozone is disappearing!

Well guess the {censored} what? I guess reducing CFCs caused the problem we have today...or is my logic flawed?

Or, do we sensibly keep clean our own environment, recycle when we can, thank God and Mother Earth (if that {censored}'s your bent) that we have the ability to improve our immediate environment and live life the best we can?

Too many people are too busy worrying about how they die, then how they live.

And too many people are too busy worrying about how other's live and should live, instead of SENSIBLY and RESPONSIBLY living among other humans and our world...

The new religion is the environment, and its minions are working hard to preach the good word...The Enviromental Inquisition is coming folks....

Gwinnett county is fining folks who don't recycle.....

I approve of legislating recycling and other measures. They do it where I live and if that's what it takes to get people who are too lazy to drag two bins to the curb instead of one to make an effort, so be it. Think of it this way - landfill space is at a premium in most of the US and is becoming scarcer. When a municipality's landfill is used up, they have to pay to truck the trash to another landfill farther away which means higher sanitation costs and higher taxes or cutbacks in municipal services. So laziness and inaction by those who don't give a {censored} negatively affects everyone. And I'm not even addressing environmental issues.

In fact, I'm all for using the power of government to compel people to behave in a less-selfish manner. I think fear of "big government" and regulation has resulted in some people doing a lot of damage that otherwise could have been prevented with a little common-sense legislation.

:cop:

• Members

In respect for your fellow humans and other creatures on the planet, do you feel guilty plugging into your tube amp?

No...

and I was green before it was cool, and before it was even called green. To be truly green as some define it, you would have to play only acoustic instruments by candlelight.

When I play through a solid state amp, I often
turn
green.

icon8.gif

Yeah... so true.

I run tube amps. Heck, I run huge electric bills in general, but I have a pretty decent studio with a lot of gear, and it's running a lot. But I'm not running a large console like a big API, SSL or Neve, and a couple more analog decks, (all of which use a lot of power and require even more cooling / A/C costs) so it definitely could be worse...

OTOH, I do try to conserve by not turning on things I'm not using, by using energy efficient bulbs for lighting and LCD monitors on the computers. We run our home's evaporative cooler instead of the A/C whenever possible. And unlike most of the rest of the citizens of the greater LA area, I hardly ever drive anywhere - my daily commute is a 100' walk out my back door.

I've looked into installing solar panels, and I've looked into installing a wind turbine (at least once per year, we get 70 Kn winds rolling through here, and where I'm at, it gets windy a lot, and there's nearly always a breeze), but at the moment, one is not quite cost effective, and I can't get a permit for the other...

I'm willing to do my part, and I do care about the environment, but Mother Nature will have to indulge my use of tube amps.

• Members

Goodness, so very much to enjoy in this rant (which the original poster baited, to be sure) but, yes sir, nature was the first religion and is still a very powerful one.

• Members

But to answer the question a little more seriously than it probably deserves...

Perfect alignment of the conscience and the life is not possible, and indulging a bit of "selfishness" in one area--say, in the pursuit of great tone--does not render you a hypocrite or make a mockery of any other positive habits you might develop. You can compensate in other areas if conservation is your thing. Read some risk theory. When you "save" in one area, you are very likely to "spend" in another

Let me ask you this: why is it that people who are attempting to bring their lives in line with their consciences are held to this mocking, contemptuous higher standard. "You're not perfect after all. N'yah n'yah n'yah n'yah n'yah." It is this kind of thinking that discourages people from even trying.

What is so offensive about trying to live conscientious, ethical life according to your best understanding? Most greenies--and I live in a world capital of them--are not thought police and do not force their beliefs on others, though they are as likely as anyone else to express them. Most of them, actually, just like to smoke a little green and feel the nature, dig? And yet so many people consider their choices a personal affront. What's going on here?

Now to those of you already in effect in this thread who think "environmentalism" is just another black lesbian college professor guilt trip initiative, ha ha, well, OK. Rock on. How about some Bob Seger covers?

BTW, my recently restored blackface Princeton Reverb is simply the most delicious bit of tubery goodness ever.

• Members

Sorry, Mother Earth...

You can pry my EL34's out of my hands, when I'm cold and dead.

Yo Yo Bro, I'm down with that, or something. (never ask an old guy to use cool speak).

My carbon footprint is high. I could do better but I'm not giving up my tube amp.

Archived