who here has quit smoking..... and who is smoking still??

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I am like Pekelnik, and have never smoked. Both my parents smoked when I was a child, and I HATED it. They both quit cold turkey after my dad's first heart attack (he's deceased and my mother has had 5 baloons and 3 stints) I am constantly amazed by the amount of productivity that is lost just at my place of business due to people standing out back smoking.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I am like Pekelnik, and have never smoked. Both my parents smoked when I was a child, and I HATED it. They both quit cold turkey after my dad's first heart attack (he's deceased and my mother has had 5 baloons and 3 stints) I am constantly amazed by the amount of productivity that is lost just at my place of business due to people standing out back smoking.

My mom has had a lot of similar surgeries including a bypass in her lower abdomen. It's just not worth it.

• Members

My parents never smoked, but my girlfriend's parents do. She is just like you, hates it and never tried. A colleague of mine told me (he quit few years ago), that it affects you permanently. He says you can get rid of the habit, but you cannot completely relax without nicotine. I guess this is a YMMV thing though.

• Members

I smoked for about 15 yrs, quit when my son was born. :thu: He is 6.

I can't be around it anymore, the smell is more nauseating than just about anything to me now.

Think of all the gear you could get with that nicotine $$. :lol:

• Members

I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years. I got tired of gurgling when trying to go to sleep so I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. Cigs still smell wonderful, and I still dream that I smoke... I think that 'knowing' that you need to quit and 'wanting' to quit are two very different things.

• Members

nicotine is just 1 of the 3000+ thousand chemicals that a cigarette makes. nicotine does less harm than the other chemicals especially tar.

I've been smoking since 13 or so, more than ten years and still smoking.

Nicotine is the addictive chemical. Really check it out!!!

It is more addictive than smack,

You are right though. The tar and other {censored} is what kills ya. The nicotine is what keeps ya coming back. It;s what will lead back to the smokes. Don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself.

• Members

Nicotine is the addictive chemical. Really check it out!!!

It is more addictive than smack,

You are right though. The tar and other {censored} is what kills ya. The nicotine is what keeps ya coming back. It;s what will lead back to the smokes. Don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself.

Pardon me but what's smack?

Yes it's nicotine that drag people back. Tar is disgusting but I wonder whether tar tastes "good" and played a role in draging people back?

Haven't tried nicotine patches yet, but my uncle told me it would be helpful.

• Members

Pardon me but what's smack?

Yes it's nicotine that drag people back. Tar is disgusting but I wonder whether tar tastes "good" and played a role in draging people back?

Haven't tried nicotine patches yet, but my uncle told me it would be helpful.

Seriously?

Heroine. Nicotine is more addictive than heroine.

The patch keeps you addicted. It just changes the delivery sytem. Cigarettes taste very bad BUT after awhile the taste is associated with feeling good, calm, relaxing , etc.

Look at the packaging on the patches. They all say chances of quitting improve with a behavior change system or support system. Kinda like a diet pill that says to eat better and exercise for best results.....

Good luck if your trying to quit otherwise enjoy your smokes. They are like popcorm mmmmmm...(at least I enjoyed 'em a lot when I smoked)

• Members

I quit over 10 years ago. You have to find the method that works for you. Some people go cold turkey, some cut down slowly or use patches.

For me it was all mental. The thought of not smoking a cig when I drank my morning coffee was incredibly depressing. So one day I decided not to quit but to just cut out that one cig, just to see if I could. I did that with each cig I smoked (I was in college so I had a pretty strict schedule of classes/studying/etc, and my smoking habits were just as predictable). Eventually I cut out the last cig.

The hardest part was hanging out with friends, and especially drinking beer. I basically didn't drink beer for about a year.

Also, after you quit, don't wait around hoping for the urge to go away. I could still murder a cigarette right now. Thing is, now that I have this much time invested, nothing could make me go back.

Edit: just remembered - I cut out the last cigarette when I went to work at an internship in another town. The thing to do is take advantage to any change in your regular routine to cut out another cig or two. It's the routine that made things difficult to me. I knew I was supposed to be smoking a cig at a certain point each day.

• Members

Seriously?

Heroine. Nicotine is more addictive than heroine.

The patch keeps you addicted. It just changes the delivery sytem. Cigarettes taste very bad BUT after awhile the taste is associated with feeling good, calm, relaxing , etc.

Look at the packaging on the patches. They all say chances of quitting improve with a behavior change system or support system. Kinda like a diet pill that says to eat better and exercise for best results.....

Good luck if your trying to quit otherwise enjoy your smokes. They are like popcorm mmmmmm...(at least I enjoyed 'em a lot when I smoked)

Seriously! 2 of my uncles have been out of that habit for more than 10 years and used only 3-4 packs of patches.

People's been smoking for almost a thousand years (or more?) There must be a golden good reason.

I've read some articles which argue that alcohol is the most addictive drug of all time and it changes the brain structure. Nicotine is a sweet little demon,isn't it?

I think I'd better enjoy cigarettes and beers but get wasted. Anyway I am supposed to quit eventually for wife and kid.

• Members

So of those of you who have quit..... how did you quit?..... Gum, the patches?

I quit cold turkey. I drank a lot ice tea. And watched a lot of television to help take my mind of of it. Regular chewing gum helps. As does chocolate. I didn't use nicotine gum as I think it hinders cessation. Remember it is a drug withdrawal. It will take some time. It may take anywhere from two weeks to six months to feel normal. But man is it worth it! You'll have more money. And you'll feel like a new person. I'm not kidding. You'll feel ten years younger.

• Members
:freak:
I quit over 10 years ago. You have to find the method that works for you. Some people go cold turkey, some cut down slowly or use patches.

For me it was all mental. The thought of not smoking a cig when I drank my morning coffee was incredibly depressing. So one day I decided not to quit but to just cut out that one cig, just to see if I could. I did that with each cig I smoked (I was in college so I had a pretty strict schedule of classes/studying/etc, and my smoking habits were just as predictable). Eventually I cut out the last cig...............

Also, after you quit, don't wait around hoping for the urge to go away. I could still murder a cigarette right now. Thing is, now that I have this much time invested, nothing could make me go back.

............. The thing to do is take advantage to any change in your regular routine to cut out another cig or two. It's the routine that made things difficult to me. I knew I was
supposed
to be smoking a cig at a certain point each day.

:thu::thu:FIND YOUR OWN METHOD - this is the key.

I smoked on and off since college, depending on how I felt. Eventually it was all on and no off.

About 5 years ago I just decided to quit. That's the biggest step to make. Once you really want to stop doing it, you will invest in the effort in finding a way to stop.

My method - every time you want one, fight it one step at a time like any addiction. Breathe deeply until the urge goes away - it only lasts a minute or two each time. It gets easier as you go.

By the way, it is a long way from over - the effects of smoking take a while to appear. So far, all is ok, except for progressive gum disease caused by increased plaque from, you guessed it, smoking. Something they don't often tell you.:cry:

Here in Thailand they had an ad campaign on the packs, showing really bad teeth, and also slogans like "smoking will reduce your sexual performance", "smoking makes your teeth fall out", "smoking makes you sterile", "smoking makes your skin old" and a range of other popular social messages.
It seemed to work among adults but the teen smoking thing is still going strong.

Me? I rarely think about it now..........but sometimes...........:freak:

BTW about three years after me, wife did the same. :love:

• Members

I stopped cold turkey. Started smoking when I was 14, stopped when I was 33. It's been 20 years since I smoked. I drank lots of coffee and chewed on those hard plastic coffee stirrers. There is a physical withdrawal, but it's mental too. I just decided I had to stop and that was that.

• Members
nicotine is just 1 of the 3000+ thousand chemicals that a cigarette makes. nicotine does less harm than the other chemicals especially tar.

I've been smoking since 13 or so, more than ten years and still smoking.

:eek: 3000+ Chemicals??!! at $4.25 a pack..... You gotta admit that's a pretty good deal!!!!!:thu:

But, seriously, I'd love to quit. I'm just not "in love" with the idea of quitting...(as I smoke now)... But the extra money would be nice. I've gotta try....

• Members

i still smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day. been smoking for like 23 years. used to smoke marlb's but, since i moved out here to L.A. my wife convinced me to switch to the american spirit light's. which although not good for you have no chemicals. made a big difference to me because when i was smoking the marlb's i would get all kinds of weird panicky moments and chest pains etc. as an experiment to see if it was all just in my head i tried a marlb a couple times and instantly felt the difference.

it's an ugly habit but, one i've still held on to. compared to some of the OTHER habits i had back in the day though...

• Members

If you don't want to quit..don't. If you really want to you can quit without any help..just will power. I smoked almost 3 packs a day for years and quit cold turkey almost a year ago. It was hard as hell...still is. Had to gear myself up for it for months. But it was financially rewarding ...was able to by a new car with the money I saved. But you have to decide when you are ready and then just do it.

Besides...this is still somewhat a free country. You might as well smoke while you still can.
_________
Axology:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Lonestar Strat HSS(MIM..love it cheap and underated)
Ampology:
Vox AD50VT
Line 6 SpiderIII15

• Members

Yeh still smoke:cry:

Tried to quit a few times, get so {censored}in {censored}ty.

I do enjoy the sensation of smoking but am sick of all the waisted money and the obvious health issues.

I wish I could just take some sort of pill that would make me really sick if I had a smoke. At least that way the temptation would be much less.

• Members

I started smoking at age 15...I quit smoking, drinking, cocaine and weed at age 27.

I'm now 45 and I still feel like {censored}... guess I'm lucky to be alive

You feel like {censored} from living hard when younger? Or feel like {censored} because old age is getting after you?

I read once that the physical addiction starts tailing off significantly if you can make it to the 21-day mark. Now, the mental addiction ain't so simple, but apparently there is a certain point where your brain stops whining for another hit of the nic.

Archived