who here has quit smoking..... and who is smoking still??

fuzzylogic220

• Members
does smoking affect your tone?

LMAO. Only if you smoke in your house near your gear I believe. I have been smoking for... 6-7 months now. I have been trying to cut back.. I use just use whatever kind of gum. Does help sometimes. I find keeping your mind occupied on something else does help though. Hard to always keep your mind on something though.. and sometimes when you do that.. you get stressed at what your doing and you have one.

So it's a bitch to curve I know. If I can cut back to 2-3 cigarettes a day... I am on my road to quitting. I know I should.. and everyone I know tell me that "Your not a smoker". In general they mean.. *shrugs* I guess I just have the look of a non smoker? lol
:thu:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Smoked from age 12-13 until I turned 30 yrs old. Was at 2 packs a day. Stopped drinking first, couldn't have a beer without a cig. Used to smoke a ton of pot as well, coke, etc. I quit it all. Quiting cigs came about 6 months later, and were probably the worst. That was 23 years ago, guess I got it beat! :cop::D

• Members

I quit in 1994 .I coughed up some disgusting blood and crud from my lungs and stopped on the spot . My doc said I stopped just in time,literally weeks in it .I did some lung damage to myself but fortunately not progressive. Dying from lung disease is not a pretty sight and not quick .I have just seen someone very close to me die from lung related illness.It slowly cripples you until all you can do is just about breath with oxygen and other aids .you cannot walk or do anything else .
.Its hard to give up but I used patches for about 3 months and kept rigorously to them .It worked .I still got the odd ''fancy a fag '' syndrome for years after but its all gone now .Once you quit you realize just how disgusting it is and what a total arsehole you look and smell..

• Members

I guess I should add my two cents. I smoked ever since I was 16 years old and it never really seemed to bother me, but I hated the smell and the expense. I smoked two packs a day. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to quit even though the doctor kept warning me. My cholesterol had never been high, my blood pressure had been good, no evidence of trouble coming. I was out in the yard one in 2003 running the weed whacker, and I got a pain in my chest down into my arm. My wife (a nurse) begged me to go to the doctor. But, when I sat down the pain would go away. Now here's the really stupid part: I put off going to the doctor for nearly two weeks and when I finally went he put me in the hospital and a few days later, after some tests, I had 5 by-passes done. One artery was blocked 100% and two were blocked 90%. I was in the hospital for about two weeks and I had a little time to think about things without smoking cigarettes for the first time in my life. Now, I was drugged up to be sure, but I really didn't miss the cigs at all. I thought the true test would be went I went home. Buy I didn't miss them there either. I haven't smoked a cigarette in nearly six years and I don't miss it. The doctor told me that in about 50% of patients, the first indication they get of coronary artery disease is death. Think about it. And the only thing I can think of (other than heredity) is the cigarettes that could have caused my artery problems. I'm still astonished to this day that I don't miss smoking. I feel extremely lucky to still be around.

'kinell. That's a cautionary tale alright. I'm glad you're OK bro.

I smoked from 1984 to 21 February 1998. Usually up to a pack a day, or the equivalent as I smoked roll ups most of the time, although I did once get through two packs one day on an acid trip. Gave up cold turkey, just like that. It was hard, but nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. At the time, I was going through some stress at work, which sounds like the proverbial bad time to give up, but I coped by telling myself the stress would go if I didn't go back to smoking. It didn't really go, but I stuck to it nonetheless and haven't had a ciggie at all since then. I don't miss it or even think about it nowadays. Definitely one of the best decisions i ever made to give up.

• Members

I smoked a pack a day from about 1991 - 1995 (end of HS through college). My senior year of college I remember clearly sitting at my desk, smoking a Marlboro Light of all things and thinking "this tastes like crap, I don't want to do this anymore." I quit cold turkey. I didn't have a single smoke for several months, but for the next 5-6 years I would still have one occasionally (other band members smoked and it was hard to be around, especially when drinking). Since then I've had many one a year, and every time I do I remember why I quit.

• Members

I quit about a year ago this month and feel no need to smoke anymore. I stopped except to one smoke per day and finally forgot that one treat.

I feel better, smell better and may well live longer but the biggest thing is that my GF is much happier!

• Members

I started smoking when I was 14 and was pretty much a pack a day smoker of the cursed cowboy killers with the exception of a short period where I was up to 4 packs a day. I quit in October of last year after almost 30 years and was doing good until I lost my job in November. I mean, I smoked the occassional cheap cigar but was ciggie free until about January when I started up again. Being unemployed with crappy weather made me depressed and I started back up but have not eceeded 5 or 6 ciggarettes a day. Now that the weather is better and I am busy working outside, some days I only have 1 or 2.

• Members

i quit a little over two months ago and i didnt notice any change until about 2 weeks ago when my voice quit sounding so {censored}ing hoarse....i also quit smoking out of a bong every half hour....i smoked about 2-3 packs a week from 17 -now.....ill be 23 in sept....so i dont think ive damaged my air sacs too bad....but im glad i quit....its just that smoking is a borderline faux pas these days....and we wouldnt want to be unfashionable, would we ?

Archived