who here has quit smoking..... and who is smoking still??

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got a new car, so I didn't smoke in there. Then I got a new house, so I didn't smoke in there. Then I got a wife, so I didn't smoke around her, or on nights I wanted to... Then I had kids, and I don't want them to see me smoke. So, I still smoke every now and then for kicks, but I would say no more than a pack a year. I consider myself a non-smoker. I'll have one at lunch time with friends about once a month, and I'll smoke when I see my family twice a year. That's it. I can breathe much better and I weigh a lot more.

• Members

I just got a new car, so I didn't smoke in there. Then I got a new house, so I didn't smoke in there. Then I got a wife, so I didn't smoke around her, or on nights I wanted to... Then I had kids, and I don't want them to see me smoke. So, I still smoke every now and then for kicks, but I would say no more than a pack a year. I consider myself a non-smoker. I'll have one at lunch time with friends about once a month, and I'll smoke when I see my family twice a year. That's it. I can breathe much better and I weigh a lot more.

• Members
I smoked heavily for 25 years and I quit three years ago.

One day I just decided I'd had enough of smoking and I haven't smoked since.

If you really want to quit, then just do it. If you don't want to quit, then spend your money on cigarettes rather than patches, gum or whatever.

100%
I quit 7 years ago. One day I just decided to stop.
I exercise, swim, lift weights etc and it seemed stupid to do all that and smoke.

Cold Turkey with a smoking wife.

I put on about 7 kilos for a couple of years, but now I am back to weight, food tastes better, I can smell rain coming hours before it gets here like I could when I was a kid and my wife also quit smoking 3 years ago.

She has also now lost the extra weight gained.

Moral: you really gotta want to quit, then you will.:thu:

• Members

Quit 8 years ago cold turkey. One of the toughest things to do but totally worth it. Seen too many people fall to the cig.

Still love the smell of smoke. mmmmmm

Ever since I quit things taste so much better. Food, beer, everything :)

Plus the stink is gone. Nobody will say it but when you smoke you stink. Non-smokers pick it up instantly. It follows you around like that cloud pigpen had on Charlie brown. That never smells good. To be honest I was oblivious to the smell until I quit.

Good luck quitting. It will likely be one of the best things you do for yourself health wise. Hell if you don't quit that's cool too. You are the master of your own body.

• Members

well, i think i posted already but, i quit, and I am happy about it.
I breathe alot better, can smell everything (not always a good thing with a wife that farts :mad: ), but i am a little fatter now :p.

I thought when i was a smoker that, "i am only cutting myself short on the worst years of my life anyway, so why not?". Boy was I wrong, I realized how difficult the last years of my life were going to be, gasping for air all the time. Drowning is not a good way to go, barely being able to breathe from being a smoker can't be much better.

Just think of all the gear you could buy with that extra $4-$8 bucks a day!
Over the course of a year, it will definately add up...

• Members

I started smoking 40 years ago (I was 13). I roll my own, and smoke the equivalent of two packs a day.

I should really quit; I've got two punctures in my left lung from some maniac stabbing me three years ago, and that lung's always somewhat congested.

ew

• Members

A good ploy is to reward yourself with the money you've saved from not smoking.

A bad ploy is to pre-emptively reward yourself in the first week of giving up. Your wife will tend towards the odd snide comment as you play your guitar with a roll-up in the corner of your gob.

• Members

i quit for a year, then sold my guitars to get money together for my carvin.

i didnt go 2 weeks without a guitar before i started smoking again.

now that i have it, ill be buying some commit on payday.

to keep me motivated, im shopping for a new amp lol

• Members

I just put one out ...

Gurlfiend and I run a non-smoking apartment because she's prone to bronchitis, so I smoke in the back garden or (if it's raining -- LONDON, remember?) on the (sheltered) front porch.

• Members

i smoked cigs for about 2.5 years. I started getting to the point where I would get irritable when I didn't have one and at that point I knew it was time to get rid of um. Now i just have the occasional cigar, and a joint once in a full moon. Cigs truly are terrible.

• Members

I never smoked cigs, but I used to smoke the hell out of some weed. I'd be that guy talking to my cig smoking friend while hitting my bong..."*cough cough* Man you need to quit that stuff....that {censored}'ll kill ya" as I blow the smoke out. I quit all drugs so I know how it can be

• Members

The hardest part was hanging out with friends, and especially drinking beer. I basically didn't drink beer for about a year.

I found this out as well. When I visit my sister in California she gets sick at the smell of smoke so one year I only smoked away from her house. She would still smell it on me though and give me crap about it. Last year I basically quit for the 2 weeks I was there. I came back and cigarettes tasted nasty. I intended to stop smoking for good but first time I hung out with my friends and started drinking and with their smoking I started craving it. Take me away from the drinking and smokers I have no cravings for it. I guess I need some new non smoking friends.

Archived