who here has quit smoking..... and who is smoking still??

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like you, I started smoking around the age of 17. And like you, I am 27 now. I was smoking at least a pack a day toward the end. I quit in the beginning of January of this year.

I don't have any cravings for cigarettes. It's way easier than you'd think when you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just stop. Simple as that.

Want a cigarette after a Classic Triple from Wendy's? Too {censored}ing bad. If you want to quit, then quit. The patch, meditation, electric shock, rubbing yourself in peanut butter, whatever.....all nonsense. You won't stop until you really want to stop.

Hope this helps

• Members

well i started when i was 20 (kinda late, i know). sitting in bars with friends that smoked is what got me started.

i quit once for 6 months using the patch, still pissed at myself for starting again. with that said, i do enjoy my morning cig with my coffee and my after dinner smoke and especially when drinking.

smoke basically 1 1/2 packs a day for 25 years now... this thread has really go me thinking about going and buying the patch again. hey, it worked for me. i was patch free and cig free for at least 3 months, i just got the bright idea at a party i could smoke one !!!

LOL , i was smoking a pack a day by the next afternoon...

i may have to run up to the walgreens tomorrow :thu:

• Members
I quit about 12 years ago.
:thu:

Best move I made in my life (except for my wife).

I don't want to get up on a pulpit, but you'll feel better, food will taste better, and you'll save enough money in a couple of months for that new guitar that you want.
:)

Good Luck, you can do it.

in Canada a pack of cigs is like 10 bucks plus tax (14 percent). If you smoke 1 a day you can buy yourself a NICE ass guitar in a single year. I'm talking about PRS/Gibsons/Fender Custom Shops here. 1 more year and you can have a beautiful amp with it. So in 2 years you can have a dream set up.

• Members

Took my first puff when I was 6 or 7. It was from an aunt's True Blue. She said she did it so we'd never smoke. My brother never did again, I did & still do. :rolleyes: Smoked on & off on the sneak from 12 to 16. Have switched brands in the past & quit a handful of times over the years. Once, I did make it to 9 months without, around '98-'99. Then got aggravated & little by little started up again. The wife also smokes so we'd both have to quit together. However, we both smoke either outside or my garage & don't let anyone smoke in our house. Have been smoking Newport Lights 100s for at least 18-19 years now & around 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day. I try not to add it up, but I'm sure we piss away lots of money on cigs. Maybe one day I'll be rid of them.

• Members
in Canada a pack of cigs is like 10 bucks plus tax (14 percent). If you smoke 1 a day you can buy yourself a NICE ass guitar in a single year. I'm talking about PRS/Gibsons/Fender Custom Shops here. 1 more year and you can have a beautiful amp with it. So in 2 years you can have a dream set up.

:eek: I should quit now.

• Members

I started smoking off and on when I was about 14 and didn't quit until I was 24 and up to a couple packs a day. I quit cold turkey along with a few of my friends on the ship (I was in the Navy at the time). It really helped having someone to share the experience with. That was in 1976 and I haven't smoked since. It is funny but sometimes I still get a craving for a smoke. Especially in the fall when I am out in the forest hunting or riding the ATV. I guess the smells and feel of the air in the forest brings back memories that I associate with a pleasent smoke. I don't regret quitting at all. I am 55 and I participate in 5K and 10K runs. I just hope that the 10 years of smoking as a kid doesn't come back to haunt me.

• Members

i quit smoking 6 years ago and haven't smoked since. i quit cold turkey and it was surprisingly easy. i had tried to quit several times before and never could make it longer than a few days. this time though i actually wanted to quit, rather than feeling like i should because i was worried about the negative effects of smoking. good luck.

Same here: 6yrs ago, 'old turkey and I was ready.

I told myself that I would quit when I graduated from college; that didn't happen. So then I set my sight upon having kids; that sort of happened. I met my wife who had 2 kids from her first marriage and I didn't stop. Then she was 8mo pregnant with our daughter and I I knew it was time.

• Members

Started at 15 and kicked it cold on December 28 2003 after my 19th birthday and haven't looked back except at the occasional and rare cigar. I'm 23 now and it's been 4 years and ALL my friends still smoke 1 to 2 packs a day. I will say that I was up to 1 and a half a packs of Camel Turkish Golds a day before I quit lol

• Members

I didn't start to really smoke everyday until I was about 19-20.
52 now.
I quit last year in Jan.
I had to stop for 3 months before my meck surgery.
I was really surprised that my chest x-ray was clear.
Nice & clean.
I quit the whole year until Dec.
It felt great.
Then the trial started and by the 3rd. day I was so aggravated I grabbed a smoke from my wife.
I was on the stand for 3&1/2 hours that morning and afternoon.
She quit when I didn't so vice-versa.
I am about 1 pack a day now and I'm going to quit again, very soon.
I really did feel better.

I used the new pill.
The name slips my mind now.
Remembered the name of the newq pill this morning(Tuesday), it's Chantix.
Still full of vercet and pain pills from my spinal injections I had today.
I have a box and a scrip for the whole set of three.
They worked great and I lost 40 lbs. at the same time.
I'm gonna' give it a couple of more weeks to convince my wife to do it with me.
If she dosen't I'll do it on my own.
I also started doing a few things to change habbits before starting the Chantix.
I stopped smoking while on the computer, watching TV, etc.
Just to start getting my head used to not smoking whie doing those things.
I put my ciggs. on the table in the dining room.
That way when I wanted one I had to stop what I was doing.
I'm starting that today.

• Members

Wow man. good luck. I know it's lame to quote myself, but I think you may benefit from that advice. It's certainly helping me, and though I haven't totally quit yet, I feel much much better. I have more energy, i'm more active, and I sleep better as a result.

Thanks. Those are all good suggestions, and I've employed most of them to some degree. The other factor that also helped to make it easier to quit was the financial aspect. Smokes here are well over $60 a carton. That was over $3k per year. I'm looking forward to spending it on something besides cigarettes.

• Members

I started at 13 and quit at 34. At 30 I was up to 2-1/2 packs a day. The thing that worked for me was accepting that I'll always be addicted to something, no matter what. It's just the way I'm wired. So I started working out in my early 30s, and eventually the new addiction crowded out the old one.

• Members

I never smoked a cigarette. I started dipping when I was 14 or 15.
I quit whn I was 25. A year later I joined the Army and was sent to Afghanistan.

With all the sand blowing around dry mouth was HELL.
I was complaining one day and a buddy told me "try this".
It was a can of Kodiak.

I heard dip or chewing tobacco would help keep you from getting dry mouth because your mouth is closed when you chew:idk:

I dipped until I got home.
Both times I quit cold turkey.

• Members

I already posted once but only mentioned how long it has been (15 days today). I have quit cold turkey before but am using patches this time around and I saw a post about them that I think is misleading.
Patches do not keep you addicted to nicotine, they release some nicotine into your system to help with the nic fits and wean you off of it. There are 3 stages, 21 mg. for 1 week, 14 mg. for 2 weeks and 7 mg. for 2 weeks. By that time you're down to hardly any nicotine intake and have gone 5 weeks without smoking, so it should be easier to stay off them (cigarettes) by the time you've used the last patch.
Also, smoking with a patch on can mess you up, so it is a good deterrant if you do want to smoke. I tried it once (I'm a smart one!) and it made my chest hurt so there is no way I'll smoke with a patch on, even if I want to.
The bottom line is, whatever works, works. Smoking sucks and is bad for everybody who does it, so any method someone uses to quit is good.

• Members
I already posted once but only mentioned how long it has been (15 days today). I have quit cold turkey before but am using patches this time around and I saw a post about them that I think is misleading.

Patches do not keep you addicted to nicotine, they release some nicotine into your system to help with the nic fits and wean you off of it. There are 3 stages, 21 mg. for 1 week, 14 mg. for 2 weeks and 7 mg. for 2 weeks. By that time you're down to hardly any nicotine intake and have gone 5 weeks without smoking, so it should be easier to stay off them (cigarettes) by the time you've used the last patch.

Also, smoking with a patch on can mess you up, so it is a good deterrant if you do want to smoke. I tried it once (I'm a smart one!) and it made my chest hurt so there is no way I'll smoke with a patch on, even if I want to.

The bottom line is, whatever works, works. Smoking sucks and is bad for everybody who does it, so any method someone uses to quit is good.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I quit, I smoked about 3 or 4 cigs a day. I decided to use the patch to stop and those first couple of days were rough. I was getting a buzz from all the nicotine. By the end of the first week I never wanted to see another cig in my lifetime. :)

It worked for me.

Archived