who here has quit smoking..... and who is smoking still??

fuzzylogic220

• Members

A hate cigarettes. I'll have a cigar every once in a while with friends, but nothing that I feel I have to have. One of the reasons I hate cigarettes is that my mom smoked her whole life, she quit about 5 years ago. Not before the copd (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Now she has to do breathing treatments and can't walk 50 feet without being out of breath.

Many will say, her fault, she chose to smoke. True. But, keep in mind that it has been proven that the bastards at the cigarette companies engineered the chemical makeup and nicotine levels to be even more addicting. I hope the bastards burn in a hell fueled by their own tobacco.

I know it is hard for people to quit smoking. But just keep in mind that "they" made it that way. Get pissed at them and use that to help motivate you to quit. Anger is a gift, spend it wisely.

If not for yourself, just imagine not getting to chase your possible future grandchildren around because a bastard (yes that is three times I have used bastard) made a product that was engineered to addict you and kill you slowly.

I had a student (I teach at a college) that used to work for a tobacco company. Ironically, he didn't smoke. But he said he had to quit after he learned about all the manipulations going on behind the scenes.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I had a heart attack on Saturday, May 19th 2007 while I was sweeping my kitchen floor and almost died is when I quit. I was 42 and had been smoking a pack a day since I was 13 or so.

Being in the hospital for 4 days and having heart surgery will quit you. Dying will quit you. Or you can quit. Friends who can't exist without smoking around you can {censored} off. Seriously.

• Members

I quit 6.5 years ago, the day after George Harrison died of cancer. I had quit in my mid-twenties, started again, and then stopped and started countless times until 2001. I started pretty young; I could inhale 'Export A' greens by the time I was 10. I don't miss it, and, when our next door neighbour goes out in her garden to have a cigarette, and the wind wafts the smoke in here, I tend to feel a bit nauseous. I really have to avoid it now, and when I can't, I really react negatively to it. Unfortunately, Europeans tend to smoke a lot, so I get it downtown at the metro stops.

Cigarettes are really bad, but the people who make and market this poison are even worse. I finally got mad for being played like a sucker, paying out my hard-earned money to kill myself, and stopped.

My advice is, if you quit, and then start up again, quit again. And again. And again, observing your triggers, and putting the knowledge to better use each time around. If you want to do it, you will.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I'm done as of today. I've weened myself down to less than a pack a week and this post has made me want to take the next step of going cold turkey. There's just nothing positive about it, it's smelly, going to kill me and, for someone who used to be athletic, I can barely run around the block now. Up until a couple weeks ago, I used to work around the clock and gained over 45 pounds over the last 5 years. Now it's time to focus on my health, start running again and get healthy. Plus, as extra motivation, after 1 year, I'm going to treat myself to a nice new acoustic guitar. No more guitars until I reach the year mark!

• Members

I'm done as of today. I've weened myself down to less than a pack a week and this post has made me want to take the next step of going cold turkey. There's just nothing positive about it, it's smelly, going to kill me and, for someone who used to be athletic, I can barely run around the block now. Up until a couple weeks ago, I used to work around the clock and gained over 45 pounds over the last 5 years. Now it's time to focus on my health, start running again and get healthy. Plus, as extra motivation, after 1 year, I'm going to treat myself to a nice new acoustic guitar. No more guitars until I reach the year mark!

Sounds like a good plan! I've been weening off too, and on the days I do really well (and eat wholesome foods too) I have a ton more energy. If you need a little extra boost to help you quit, try the replacement technique. Whenever you have a string craving, do something healthy for yourself. This can be a quick walk, a piece of fruit, a glass of water, or anything else that is good for you that you enjoy. Above all, stay active and change your routine.

• Members

i've been smoking about 2 packs/day for the past 4 yrs. A friend quit a 17 yr chewing addiction by using "Chantix" medication. So, I thought I'd give it a try since insurance would cover it. I began before all this bull{censored} about it causing depression-I've never felt better about myself than now. Within the first 3 days I didn't even think about smoking at all and now that I can smell again, I won't start back.

You can quit a number of ways I'm sure but that worked for me. My dad died of lung cancer when I was 13, now I'm 24...I've just been afraid of the same thing happening to my future family...it's pretty good motivation.

• Members
Since I moved back to my home town I have done nothing but sit around and smoke pot. Inhaling smoke of any sort isn't good IMO. Now that it is nice out I dusted off the old skateboard and headed down to the park.........oh god...I thought I was going to puke! For myself I usually can just flip a switch and I don't need the {censored} but nicotine seems to have a stronger hold on people. Keep busy, only smoke outdoors(smoke less when its raining or cold). I had friends just stop buying packs all together and would just either bum them or buy individuals off of people. They eventually didn't feel the need to have or want them and quit.

Best of luck!

another skateboarder. nice :thu:

• Members

Forgot all my info since I haven't posted here in ages, but I thought I would register again to reply to this thread. I don't smoke cigs on a regular basis, I'm more into the sweet leaf. Anyway, It's not the right route for everyone but have you ever considered vaporizing? I'm always shocked by the amount of people that don't do it and have never heard of it.

It has to be 99 percent healthier than smoking cigs, especially commercial stuff. It works by heating up the substance almost to the point of combustion but not quite, and thats when you get the vapor. Hardly smells, you can do it in a closed room and a few minutes later you wont be able to tell you did anything in the room.

My vaporizer changed my life. I used to smoke(weed), but it was really just the literal smoke that just made me feel dirty and just poor overall. I can say that i will never ever go back to smoking anything on a regular basis.

I'll stop talking now, but i suggest you research it and see what its all about. Obviously a solid vaporizer will cost you some dough, mine was 200ish new but I urge anyone to check it out if they want a healthy alternative to tarring their lungs.

• Members

I quit last month. I used Chantix to help me quit and it seems to be working. The first few days were rough and occasionally I still want to smoke, but it's getting easier every day. I had smoked for 32 years, I hope it's not too late to quit!

• Members

I quit last month. I used Chantix to help me quit and it seems to be working. The first few days were rough and occasionally I still want to smoke, but it's getting easier every day. I had smoked for 32 years, I hope it's not too late to quit!

Wow man. good luck. I know it's lame to quote myself, but I think you may benefit from that advice. It's certainly helping me, and though I haven't totally quit yet, I feel much much better. I have more energy, i'm more active, and I sleep better as a result.

• Members

i don't usually hang out here, but i quit a little over 2 weeks ago. cold turkey. i just don't need that {censored}. the NY state propaganda machine had something to do with it too. i felt dirty for being a smoker. {censored}ing sad, i know, but it's true. you can only be successful when you're ready to quit. and you need to think that you're not a smoker, not that you used to smoke. set yourself up for success, stay positive, and it'll work out. best advice to give, is do not, under any circumstances, have another cigarette once you've decided you're a non-smoker.

• Members

Best of luck to you, I hope that you succeed. It's not easy, but to relate it guitar playing, the first time you picked up a guitar, that wasn't easy either.

You can do it. :thu:

For the last 2 years, I have focused on my health by swimming twice a day, walking, and golf. I'm in better shape today, 30 years beyond my twenties.

Congrats and a round of applause to all who have attempted to quit. :)

• Members

Best of luck, OP. Like a few others who have posted, I found that cold turkey is the best way to go. IN my case, I was athletic, so I started jogging and playing ball again as a substitute for smoking. I started thinking of myself as my old athlete self instead of my smoking self. And it worked. Now I'm hooked on the endorphin rush from running four miles in 30 minutes...

It can be done with the right tools and mindset. Hope it goes well for you.

• Members

I am 46 been smoking since about 15
I was supposed to start Chantrix last month sent in prescription along with my 2 other prescriptions I am on to insurance mail in for fill.
My regular Meds came, but no chantrix, figured it was comming seperate.
As of last week still had not arrived, We contacted the insurance place asking about it and they claim they never recieved the RX, it was with the other two that they sent me!
I go to Dr's the end of this week, I am going to ask for another prescription, this time I will just take it to local Pharmacy(even though it costs more than the mail in service) But I want to end this and I will admit I have smoked so long I do not have much faith I could do it without assistance.

I have heard a little bad about the Chantrix, but I have talked with many that have used it, and they claim it is great, I am hoping it gives me the edge I need to kick the habit! Hoping this time next week I can honestly say I no longer smoke!

• Members

just turned 37 yesterday been smoking since i was 16. yeah, that's right 21 years. at the height i was smoking a pack, maybe a pack and a half a day. i've attempted to quit several times. i've gotten to the point in the past where i was down to one cigarette a day. weird how that one cigarette is the hardest to give up. anyway, i'm back up to around 5 a day but i'm going to try to quit again. gonna ween myself back down to 1 and then actually stop that 1.

wanna know one of the biggest obstacles to me quitting? people telling me i gotta quit. i don't like to be told to do anything. but i guess i've been a stubborn asshole about it for long enough now. time to give it up.

• Members

just turned 37 yesterday been smoking since i was 16. yeah, that's right 21 years. at the height i was smoking a pack, maybe a pack and a half a day. i've attempted to quit several times. i've gotten to the point in the past where i was down to one cigarette a day. weird how that one cigarette is the hardest to give up. anyway, i'm back up to around 5 a day but i'm going to try to quit again. gonna ween myself back down to 1 and then actually stop that 1.

wanna know one of the biggest obstacles to me quitting? people telling me i gotta quit. i don't like to be told to do anything. but i guess i've been a stubborn asshole about it for long enough now. time to give it up.

If you want to quit, you need to stop, not reduce, your nicotine intake.

Completely.

Have you ever heard of a Heroin junkie quitting gradually?

Reducing your nicotine puts your body in a constant state of withdrawal.

http://whyquit.com

Yes, it's a bit over the top sometimes, but the message and advice is sound.

Archived