Music that makes you cry.

Jimbroni

• Members

Anybody have those songs or artists or albums that just bring you to tears?

I'm sitting here listening to Gillian Welch, crying my eyes out. Why? I have no idea. But something about her just gets me.

I'm pretty unemotional person. To a fault, so say all my exes. But this girl's voice and music surrounding it just brings me to emotional mush.

Marvin Gaye's What Goin On gets me too. I can't make it til Mercy Me without crying.

No other music does this to me. Anybody else have songs or albums that just drive you to tears to point where you're reluctant to actually play them, just because you know its gonna happen.

• Members

I was driving across the Grosse Ile bridge to 'mainland' Michigan to go to the hospital where my grandmother was in failing health. My iPod was plugged in and loaded up with 20 GB of my music.

My Aunt called me on the phone and said 'she's gone honey' and we exchanged a few more words.

When I hung up, 'I Grieve" from Peter Gabriel came on my iPod. It was spooky.

I love this song, but that memory is stamped on me with that song for ever.

• Members

I recently went to see the production "Love Janis".

It includes a very good band and singer doing all the songs you'd want to hear.

They did d pretty good job of it.

Things that bring me back to to golden age of the late sixties can easily bring an uncontrollable tear to my eyes- for some unknown reason.

I got the same result when watching the movie "Across the Universe".

The only other thing that is able to do this to me is someting to do with helpless, animals and their fate in this world of ours.

Im generally not emotional at all.

• Moderators

This song always put me in a teary mood. I went searching for Billie Holiday's vesion and found this. And comments from the poster...

Nia singing at age 4. I am Nia's mom. I have had some folks not understand why Nia is singing this. Nia is a little girl who listens to every word in a song...reason why I do not let her listen to the profane music that is out there and why Nia listens to mostly the old school...

I am a big fan of old school jazz. I played Strange Fruit in the car when Nia was about 3 and had no idea that she would listen to the lyrics so intently. I mean, most adults do not understand the nuances and meaning of this song because it is not literal...it is sung in a poetic vein. Not to brag on my child, but she is very perseptive and asked what the song meant. I just stated to her that sometimes people do bad things to others for no reason and that you should always treat others as you would want to be treated. Then she wanted to know what blood on the trees meant because she thought that "trees drink water" and she keep saying to me "mommy, I know that it has to be more than that because this song sounds so sad".

[YOUTUBE]fCJDuHRujjE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Not tears but more like a feeling of being overwhelmed with emotion. "If I Can Dream" by Elvis Presley. There's something undeniably real about that performance that really hits me when I hear it. The emotion of this performance coupled with the fact that Elvis went into a downward spiral a few years later just really gets to me. I feel inspired and sad at the same time. A very conflicted emotional state indeed.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Pretty rare for me to get choked up based on the music itself. I'm not a super emotional person in that aspect. There are a few orchestral pieces that have done it.

However, I do recall at least one time where, like deanmass, a combination of crappy circumstances and a piece of music hit me like a ton of bricks. It was 2005, and I was out of town at a trade show that I'd worked my ass off preparing for. As usual, I was traveling by myself, and trying to take care of a lot of things at once. I was already late for a meeting, and as I hurried along, I managed to jam my shin straight into a concrete barricade outside the convention center. As I sat there bleeding and rubbing my leg, my ex-wife who was watching my son called to let me know that I'd forgotten to pay a bill and my electricity was shut off. That call was immediately followed by another from a client who was mad that a sign for his booth hadn't arrived on time.

Just then, a car pulled up, with its radio playing U2's then-new song "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". I'd kept it together pretty much up to that point, and probably would have continued to do so had I not heard that song at that moment. Damn you Bono! :D

• Members

We're all agreed that it usually takes some sort of coincidental alignment with extraordinarily hard personal issues to squeeze a tear out of us ruff n tuff manly men...:rolleyes:

that said:

About 12 years back - oy, things were not going well at home. Kids were about 5 and 7, the wife and I had a big (verbal only) fight, and I slam-stormed out to get away to cool down. As I pealed away in the car, I saw my daughter through her bedroom window - she had her door open a few inches, peeking out, obviously going through what kids go through when the parents argue loudly, and oh, I love that kid so....I felt supremely frustrated and wretched and guilty and remorseful......and The End of the Innocence came on the radio. :cry:

nat whilk ii

• Members

I just became aware of this project a few days ago, performed by street musicians from around the world, saw them on Leno where they had added keb mo to the lineup.

Powerful stuff

Well didn't make me cry, but that was very uplifting. And gave a bit of the tingles. Very cool. thanks for that.

• Members

A well done rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner".

I find that as I get older and lose more family and friends I am becoming more sentimental so these also affect me.

Vince Gills "Go Rest High On That Mountain". Losing my dad some years ago and recently my next younger brother cause this tune to tear me up, particularly the version he did at Porter Wagner's service.

The on going cancer battle brings me to having a strong feeling for Kevin Welch's "Til I'm Too Old To Die Young", particularly the chorus.

Till I'm Too Old To Die Young

by

Kevin Welch

John Hadley

Scott Dooley

If life is like a candle bright

Then death must be the wind

You know you can close your window tight

And it still comes blowing in

So I will climb the highest hill

And I'll watch the rising sun

And I pray that I won't feel the chill

Till I'm too old to die young

Chorus:

Let me watch my children grow

To see what they become

Lord don't let that cold wind blow

Till I'm too old to die young

I have had some real good friends

I thought would never die

But now all that I got left of them

Are these tear drops in my eyes

So if I could have one wish today

And I know it would be done

I'd say everyone could stay

Till they're too old too die young

Repeat chorus twice

• Members

Russ

Nashville

yeah I know what you mean. thats a great song to me. Very evocotive.

When I sing the line: I'll be happy, happy, happy once again. I get kind of teary eyed and my voice breaks and I got to regrip.

lately I been practicing that LENNY COHEN tune and as I get towards the end of the song as it builds I can feel the uh, um, "emotions" welling up and when I do MY VERSE at the end, the dam breaks and I have to stop and get a grip.

I've been writin' songs since I was a ladd

I rewrote some lines and some folkes got mad

but you don't really understand now do ya

I write em for me for you and for them

and when I'm done i say an amen

and I thank god for songs oh hallelujah

while I'm waitin' for the water-works to stop I often wonder if I'm gonna choke up when i play it oot?

makes me realise how much I'm fightin' to keep a lid on things.

for the past few days I been taking ST. JOHNS WORT to see if it helps my mood. seems to be helping.

The last couple of years have been pure hail on old TD.

That irish song DANNY BOY always gets me too.

I do wonder how many of us are hangin' on by our fangernails.

thanks for lettin me share.

TD

• Members

"Under the Bridge" by the Chilis - I have seen a lot of casualties from the War on Drugs firsthand and this song embodies that IMO.

Also, sometimes I'll be djing and mix from one track to another, and when the next song comes in it evokes strong emotions.

I feel like crying, but don't since:

A. I'm a man

B. It would freak people out to see the DJ crying LOL

Archived