NGD 3 Days later: The u6crash Melody Maker

u6crash

• Members

Ugh. I just wrote a whole write up and lost it. And I know you guys don't want to see a deluge of MM NGDs, but this is my first NGD in five years so I'm writing one anyway. I'll spare you the minutiae and post the key points:

• Members

I always tell people I play my Strat in the bridge position, but playing the MM I realize just how often I reach for the pickup selector when it isn't there.

The Strat bridge pickup (I assume you're talking single-coil?) gets a lot of hate, and I'm not sure why. I love it.

• Members

HNGD. I'm glad maltomario was able to sell his. Other than cosmetics - what would you mod? I think the elecrtronics and PUP are killers. I am refinishing mine as we speak.

- W

I do like the pup. Crunchy, hotter than my Strat in the bridge position for sure. With the guitar at 10 and my Peavey at 3, it's incredibly loud. Still, I might try a rail temporarily at some point just to see the difference. Mostly I think I will upgrade the wrap around bridge to a hybrid wraparound so that each string is individually adjustable. Probably one of the following:

Pigtail Aluminum Wraparound Bridge

Adjustable Wraparound Bridge

I'll put some pencil lead in the nut slots and see how that does. I'd like to keep the tuners as is. The vintage vibe is great :cool:

Now that I think of it, I could even see making a new pickguard for it. The pickguard is an easy one to copy and the aftermarket ones seem pricey. Something to think about...

• Members

had my MM for a couple weeks now (I think) and I love it. it doesn't seem ultra light to me -- to me, it seems moderate weight, but that may be because my other axe (patriot special) is an absolute featherweight.

when I received my MM, the action was high and the truss rod had too much relief. after a series of tweaks, it not only plays awesome but it holds tune like a mother{censored}er. I believe that most guitars are perfectly capable of holding tune, it's just a matter of getting everything working right. the question isn't whether a guitar holds tune, the question is whether a guitar holds tune from the factory.

anyway, the axe plays awesome, and more importantly, it plays awesome whild standing. some guitars I can never get comfortable with in a standing position. the MM is well balanced and substantial enough but without being heavy. neck is also the ideal size and I've come to love the raw finish.

I definitely wouldn't mind having a neck pickup. like you, I mostly just use the bridge, but having 2 additional tone options is never a bad thing.

that said, I got a kick ass custom pickguard for it with a humbucker hole (the pickguard looks just like the one you see on the joan jett signature melody maker) and I ordered a bgbucker. gonna chop up the wood to fit it. :)

also got a push pull pot so I can do coil splitties, and I got a fully intonatable wraparound bridge from GFS. can't wait to get it all together.

• Members

Sweet! Congrats on your first NGD in... far too long, IMO. :)

Mine's gonna be pretty heavily modded. Already swapped the tuners and re-cut the pickguard. Gonna route the body before I do the refin. Goin' for a dogear P90 in the bridge and a chartreuse paintjob!

• Members

Really? You don't think so? Check out her stomach? It's even got some cellulite going on.

Different standards, I guess.

Yeah she does look fat from below her tits. Weird as her tits and above she looks pretty hot.

• Members

HNGD! The Pigtail is an incredible piece of equipment. It's all hand-cast aluminium and hand machined to INCREDIBLY tight tolerances. I used another wraparound temporarily for my last build while I was waiting for the Pigtail to come in and I was absolutely blown away at how much of a difference a bridge could make on your tone. My guitar became louder, more resonant... I was not expecting that. And the machining is just completely first rate. It's a lot of money for a bridge, but I simply cannot reccomend it enough.

Oh, and if you go that route, don't use TonePros studs! Read the Guitar Player Repair Guide (Erliwine) for a great interview with the guy who makes the Pigtails to understand how bad locking down your hardware is. And if you've got ten hours of free time, call him up- he answers all the calls and he'll talk your ear off about the physics of tone.

• Members

hey glad the guitar arrived safe and sound. Glad I could pass a great deal on to a fellow forumite.

clips sound really good, shows the versatility despite only having 1 pickup option. Its certainly a sweet little guitar, alot of fun and the single coil pickup goes from clean to raunchy very well.

I second the idea of a custom pickguard and routing out for a neck bucker.

If you decide on painting it with art, please post pics! I'd be interested to see how that looks when done.

Enjoy and HNGD!

Archived