GIBSON EXPERTS - ARE THESE FAKES?

Johansolo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this is just not a good fake - the headstrock looks kinda sketchy. I'd pay $150.00 for it though and stick the thing on stage behind my Agiles

was at a second hand pawn shop and stumbled across this for $500(AUD) and got really excited. picked it up and had a play and it sounded cool.

got the serial number down and thought i stumbled across a bargain

pics

DSC00233.jpg
DSC00235.jpg

then i looked around and saw 2 more "gibsons"...lespauls...for $500 AUD

thats when i thought...hmmm? somethings not right here.

i picked them up and they were heavey as well but ive not an expert at iding

DSC00236.jpg
DSC00237.jpg
DSC00238.jpg
DSC00239.jpg

they even put gibson stickers on the pickups.

if they arent fake...damn

someone please assure me that they are fake. ive read about the chinese copies on ebay but never seen one in AUS before

• Members

Damn..That first one looks mutated as {censored}!

The first one is a Jay Turser. I had one that I bought off ebay. Seller diguised the "jackrabbit ears" in his photos by the angle of the camera. I thought I was getting a nice 335 copy in Cherry sunburst. I pulled it out of the box and thought WTF????

They're fakes.

• Members
The shopkeeper is committing a crime. S/he could and should be charged.

not in australia :facepalm:

plus they probably dont know, so they wont get charged even if it was a crime.

:facepalm::facepalm:

waste of time and taxpayer money. Gibson has enough money as it is, espeically with the amount of {censored} they're slewing everywhere.

• Members
not in australia
:facepalm:

Yes they are: http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/issues/Article.ashx?g=4eb04f23-5031-4af8-b761-4bc444475984

plus they probably dont know, so they wont get charged even if it was a crime.

Actually the laws allow them to be charged even if they don't know, if they haven't been sufficiently vigilant.

waste of time and taxpayer money. Gibson has enough money as it is, espeically with the amount of {censored} they're slewing everywhere.

Gibson is a large company, so this excuses counterfeiting of their goods?

• Members

Yes they are:

Actually the laws allow them to be charged even if they don't know, if they haven't been sufficiently vigilant.

Gibson is a large company, so this excuses counterfeiting of their goods?

from your article above:

Preventive measures/strategies

The practical realities of business resources

and the potential expense and time involved

in litigating a matter will inevitably militate

against issuing court proceedings in every

case, particularly over small quantities of

infringing goods.

Non-court preventive measures that

trademark owners can employ include:

• Members

How could anyone who has ever seen a 335 look at this and not know it's fake?

i didnt know it was a fake...at first glance...but i must admit...ive never really paid any close attention to gibson guitars. my wife has 2 epiphones but im more into my PRS/Fender's

when i saw the price tag thats when i started getting excited...but when i saw there were 2 other "les pauls" i got dubious.

• Members

the article invites all trademnark owners to front up with some $$$ to the proper channels if a solution to this issue is to be at hand

has Gibson done this?

Given that I complain to Gibson (Europe) about counterfeit auctions, I get the "our team is working on it" email, and nothing seems to happen (auction completes without being pulled), it wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't.

But I still don't think this excuses the local police refusing to investigate counterfeits being sold in a shop. And certainly not them saying that it was legal to sell counterfeit guitars.

Aren't trademark holders expected to defend their trademarks or risk losing them?

• Members

Given that I complain to Gibson (Europe) about counterfeit auctions, I get the "our team is working on it" email, and nothing seems to happen (auction completes without being pulled), it wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't.

But I still don't think this excuses the local police refusing to investigate counterfeits being sold in a shop. And certainly not them saying that it was legal to sell counterfeit guitars.

Aren't trademark holders expected to defend their trademarks or risk losing them?

tht is the trademark theory indeed

typically not on the list of duties of typical/local police though unless they have been specified to do so via an engagement by said trademark holder through various means most of which requires additional expense on the trademark holder's part

...the local police arnt typically enforcement agents for the trademarks of private corporations ...afaik

...unless specific action has been taken by holder against a specific entity/person

• Members

It's more of a hypothetical question now. ~2-3 years ago, I went to a small shop that had some fake Gibson Les Pauls. They had them marked as fake, priced accordingly, were quick to tell you they weren't the real thing, and shared a pro/con assessment of the guitar. I seem to recall that it was a consignment sale. Is that something that would be reportable? Would you report it?

• Members

that's not the damn point... it's more about the poor sucker that buys the fake and gets ripped off than it is about a large company losing a few bucks... although that's not completely irrelevant

• Members

how would i report them?

as i am in perth western australia

and the shop is a second hand/hock shop (called cash convertors...the have outlets state wide that buy/sell second hand goods)

someones probably done a shifty on the actual store or the store knows they are fakes and are selling thme cheap?

or should i just go back to the store and yell and point "FAKE" to the manager?

GCS will forward to the legal dept.

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

• Members
It's like me buying a dozen caged eggs that are labelled as organic free range. The least that needs to happen is for the store to be notified so they can label any fakes asap.

I'm also happy to disclose that I'm a descendent of free irish settlers
:mad:

i was in north qld a few weeks back... port douglas.... hitting the beach in the middle of winter rocks :cool:

Archived