Need a new phone - should iPhone?

• Members

Hey Phil,

I just got locked in to another 2 year contract with Verizon after much pondering. The only reason I didn`t go with the iPhone was because I felt Apple was still working out the quirks, this was about 6 months ago. Now it looks like it is finally coming into its own. After my Verizon contract runs out, I`ll bail ship and go iPhone. Go iPhone!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only remaining question now is whether to get the 3G 8GB version, or pay the hundred bucks extra for the new 3G S 16GB version and wait for a couple more weeks...
:idk:

I own precisely that one, 3G, 8GB. Awesome device.

... but as soon as I can get the new 3G S, I will. I guess it won't hurt having a device which opens faster the internal apps, with a longer-lasting battery life per charge, with a better camera -still not comparable with Sony Ericsson's and others, tough- and with faster internet browsing. What's not to like?

• Members

I'm one of those people using another phone along with an iTouch. I've considered changing over to an iPhone but it will be October before I can do it without penalty on my current two year contract. The benefit is combining a nice MP3 player with a phone and game machine. The ONE deterrent for me, I will miss the physical keys when typing. I do email on my Motorola Q9h and it is much easier to type with a real keypad. But, as I get older, the bigger screen of the iPhone will be a bonus.

By October the Zune HD should be out and I will see if that replaces my iTouch. I don't expect it to be as good as the iTouch, but if it is close then the Zune rental music feature will make it better for me.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]0yu0iTLY0Co[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kt33pZrm6EU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hYsBmN9ETRE[/YOUTUBE]

I'd still get the new iPhone, but I think I'll get the Tundra for my girlfriend (she's on her third blackberry).

OK, so it looks like I'll probably pre-order the 16GB 3G S.

Now, what's the best screen protector and case / holster? I'd like to be able to keep the phone in my front pocket, but want it to clip to / over the outside of my jeans to hold it in place inside the pocket; kind of similar to a ITWB holster for a pistol, but that clips over my jeans and not my belt...

I'd also like some sort of transparent screen protector too. Are they a good idea?

And finally... the BIG question: White or Black? :D

• Members
I just went over to my friend's house and played with his first generation iPhone a bit, and it is indeed pretty cool. I'm pretty sold on it now; especially considering I can integrate it with my new MacBook for the calendar, scheduling, etc.

The only remaining question now is whether to get the 3G 8GB version, or pay the hundred bucks extra for the new 3G S 16GB version and wait for a couple more weeks...
:idk:

Well I've had my 3G iPhone since the beginning of March but i'm getting the new one for a couple of reasons. One is the Video recording and sharing. I want to be able to send little vids back and forth to my friends and girlfriend as well as not have to use a separate Vid camera when I travel. Also, I'm going for the 32 gig version beacause my 30 gig ipod is getting long in the tooth and this will replace it for my music as well. So, it wraps it all up in one device for me.

I LOVE the Google maps feature and when you are driving it's basically like a TomTom device and lets you easily map out where you are going and gives you step by step directions. Works really well..I use it.

So, if I were you, I would spring for the new 3Gs version 16 gig...Faster processer plus Vid and 2X the storage of the regular 3G. :) Throw for it and don't look back baby!

• Members

I'd also like some sort of transparent screen protector too. Are they a good idea?

It depends on how rough you are whith the phone. I as never happy with the sensativity of the touch screen on my iTouch until the day I decided to remove the screen protector. I bought the protector the same day I bought the iTouch and did not realize it was causing my problems. If you don't use a screen protector avoid using a stylus. They can scratch up a screen quicker than anything.

• Members

I use a screen protector on my IPod Touch, and the one that I have doesn't interfere with the touch at all. The few deep scratches on the protector are testament to how it's saved my screen.

The touch screen is capacitive, not pressure sensitive. That's why it needs a finger to operate.

I'll be joining you on the new GS shortly. One piece of advice - if you can afford to get the 32 Gig version, do. Guarantee that even with that much storage, you'll be hankering for more space in a year.

js

• Members

I'm stuck on the T-Mobile network. I have a golden hand-cuff deal with them that makes it rediculous to change. We just got my wife a Blackberry Curve 8900 over the weekend and I really like it. It's not quite as cool as the iPhone, but has a real keyboard and BB is developing a nice app store too...

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered today - I opted for the iPhone 3G S 16GB model, in white. Unless they really underestimated the numbers and / or Apple delays the launch for some reason, it should be here by the 19th.

Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions and opinions everyone. :cool:

• Members
Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered today - I opted for the iPhone 3G S 16GB model, in white. Unless they really underestimated the numbers and / or Apple delays the launch for some reason, it should be here by the 19th.

Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions and opinions everyone.
:cool:

Let us know how it goes. I'm still waiting for my state tax return money. My desire to run all those cool apps, plus the fact I'll actually save $240 over the life of a 2 yr contract by switching from my present phone to the new one are too compelling for me.

• Members

Let us know how it goes. I'm still waiting for my state tax return money. My desire to run all those cool apps, plus the fact I'll actually save $240 over the life of a 2 yr contract by switching from my present phone to the new one are too compelling for me.

Hey Mr. V., how are you going to save $20/month by switching providers?

iPhone means a mandatory $30/month data service on top of your normal charge for cell service.

Archived