Need a new phone - should iPhone?

• Members

Hey Mr. V., how are you going to save $20/month by switching providers?

iPhone means a mandatory $30/month data service on top of your normal charge for cell service.

Mr P, I currently pay $50/mo data service for my Treo. Remember, I'm on AT&T already. :wave:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have an iPhone and plan to upgrade to the new 3Gs.

I don't do trendy stuff (never posted in an internet forum in my life, not even once). But I do love me some apps.

The iPhone has what... like 50,000 apps and growing?

By comparison, I think the new Pre has something like around 18.

The iPhone appears to be establishing itself as the mobile platform, the PC of the smartphone era.

There are enormously useful music apps for the iPhone, things I use in a non-gimmicky way, and these apps will only get better, particularly with the new horsepower of the new phone. It's basically a liquid gadget that morphs into whatever an app developer creates, so you can get what would be an otherwise dedicated, expensive (or nonexistent) device for a mere few dollars download.

The screen is big and nice enough to watch movies on when traveling, and it's just so easy to fire up safari, google the place you need to be, see a map, get a phone number, or push the new "beam" function that disassembles your particles at a subatomic level and rearranges them at whatever target destination you've chosen, saving both time and cost of traditional travel.

I have a few gadgets that I absolutely love and this is one of them. I don't know how anyone lived before GPS devices, self-cleaning litter boxes, or iPhones.

• Members

Mr P, I currently pay $50/mo data service for my Treo. Remember, I'm on AT&T already.
:wave:

Eegads. I had no idea the Treo charge was so high. Sounds like switching to an iPhone is a no-brainer. Hey, I'm on AT&T too. We can call each other free!

:wave:

• Members

I have a few gadgets that I absolutely love and this is one of them. I don't know how anyone lived before GPS devices, self-cleaning litter boxes, or iPhones.

I thought you had a patent on the self-cleaning litter boxes. You mean I could now make them and sell them as my own?

• Members

There are enormously useful music apps for the iPhone, things I use in a non-gimmicky way, and these apps will only get better, particularly with the new horsepower of the new phone.

I'd welcome some specific suggestions Duddits.
:)

I'm not Duddits but I'll name a few music apps loaded on my iPhone..

FourTrack from Sonoma Wireworks

FiRe mono/stereo field recorder

iProRecorder from Bias

Guitar Toolkit

iStroboSoft guitar tuner

SPL Meter from Studio Six Digital

Also a few little virual synth apps, (NLogFree, and Stylophone are pretty cool.)

I'm not Duddits but I'll name a few music apps loaded on my iPhone..

FourTrack from Sonoma Wireworks

FiRe mono/stereo field recorder

iProRecorder from Bias

Guitar Toolkit

iStroboSoft guitar tuner

SPL Meter from Studio Six Digital

Also a few little virual synth apps, (NLogFree, and Stylophone are pretty cool.)

Thank you very much! :cool: Since my new phone should be here by this weekend, I'm interested in seeing what's out there in terms of apps that I'll actually find useful.

• Members

There are enormously useful music apps for the iPhone, things I use in a non-gimmicky way, and these apps will only get better, particularly with the new horsepower of the new phone.

I'd welcome some specific suggestions Duddits.

I'll add to stryders list with a "sleeper" that I love: Visual Metronome.

There are several metronome apps, but this one does something particularly clever and well.

You tap on the screen (to the beat of a song) and it tells you the BPM.

Obviously, there's a bunch of other ways to figure out a song's BPM. But to be able to open Visual Metronome, tap the iPhone's screen with my paw to whatever I'm hearing, and voila, it tells me the BPM with no muss no fuss, turns out to be far more useful than its sounds.

I'll add to stryders list with a "sleeper" that I love: Visual Metronome.

There are several metronome apps, but this one does something particularly clever and well.

You tap on the screen (to the beat of a song) and it tells you the BPM.

Obviously, there's a bunch of other ways to figure out a song's BPM. But to be able to open Visual Metronome, tap the iPhone's screen with my paw to whatever I'm hearing, and voila, it tells me the BPM with no muss no fuss, turns out to be far more useful than its sounds.

I'll definitely find that one useful - thanks Duddits. :cool:

While Pro Tools has a tap tempo feature, I don't use it very much - actually, I tend to open a delay plugin, such as Echo Farm, and use the tap tempo function on that to figure out the approximate BPM while a band is playing "free". I've been meaning to get a hand held metronome with tap tempo for just this purpose, but if I can do it with an app on my iPhone, that's even better. :cool:

• Members

While Pro Tools has a tap tempo feature, I don't use it very much - actually, I tend to open a delay plugin, such as Echo Farm, and use the tap tempo function on that to figure out the approximate BPM while a band is playing "free". I've been meaning to get a hand held metronome with tap tempo for just this purpose, but if I can do it with an app on my iPhone, that's even better.
:cool:

It's a small-sounding thing, but it's super convenient, and it leverages the iPhone's technology perfectly. Lets you get a BPM before having to mess around with a DAW, and has simple, clean, no nonsense graphics.

Of all the millions of apps that you might use once and never use again, this is one I find endlessly useful. :thu:

• CMS Author

Blue, considering the state of my current phone, I can't wait for a year or more for Apple to possibly ally with other carriers...

They're going to fight that tooth and nail. They don't bring out new gadget phones to sell new phones, they bring them out to attract new contract customers.

There are surely a few people who will pay $600 for a new phone, but they're the ones who get a new Lear Jet every two years and their people take care of the money.

I use AT&T's prepaid service. I don't get any free phones except the first one. Actually, when they did away with the TDMA system and switched to GSM, they did give me a "free" replacement phone when I bought a $25 prepaid card.

Mike, since my old contract was nearly up and I qualified for the "subsidized" upgrade price, I went ahead and did so... but again, I do think that eventually AT&T's exclusive deal with Apple will go away... Apple will probably start offering phones to other vendors too at the end of their exclusive contract with AT&T.

All that being said, I think we're charged way too much for phone service in the USA compared to other countries, such as Japan - see Craig's "sell me an iPhone" thread for examples of just HOW much more. :(

Archived