How many here gig? FT or PT?

• Members

I just wondered- who here is, or aspires to be, a professional performing musician? (realizing SSS is more of a hangout for studio owners).

I enjoy hanging out at the "Backstage with Band" forum but it's really not so much about individual players looking to book jazz, classical or cocktail gigs. That particular category doesn't seem to have a "home" at HC.

Thanks to any willing to "out" themselves :).

I perform whenever I can. Don't get too many chances as I'm so involved with other things, but still manage to play out a bit.

+ 1

What's your actual question, compadre? Just to ask who's performing currently or have some other questions regarding the process, equipments or ...?

• Members

I gigged actively around Los Angeles until November. I haven't gigged since then. That's because I quit my band. And while I've been playing a LOT of music, I haven't had the inclination to gig again. Maybe later.

Also, I've been getting a lot of recording gigs lately, and that's been keeping me busy.

• Members

I'm in the past tense group as well.

I played in the club scene pretty steadily from 1976-1992 -- mostly with bar bands -- but I also did a one-man-band and played piano bar for a couple of those years. I moved to the studio scene in 1992 full-time, and now I'm a professional composer.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Considering my bread and butter is working as a Church musician (playing the organ, piano, directing choirs, singing...) which usually requires 5-6 days of work a week, I guess I`m a full timer. I don`t consider it a "gig" though. No matter what your beliefs may be, making a living making music has been a blessing. I met my wife doing this.

• Members

I've been unemployed for the last eight months, so the only income I have is from band money. My band has occasional jobs and I've been freelancing three or four nights a month. Not enough to pay the bills, but every little bit helps.

My situation is somewhat similar to yours, except I may be more of free-lancer. For right now (as it was for 20 consecutive years prior) music IS my vocation- so if I want to increase my earning potential, I work on being a better and more well-rounded player.

Geoff- professional composer? Could you expound on that, sir?

Yes, especially those who try to make a living at it. I know from listening to the links in the "Is your music any good?" thread that there is a good level of talent here- but any professional music mercenaries?

I was a professional music mercenary, too :)

I'd recommend you to just learn what every "top 40" band plays in different styles (say, top 40 of country, pop, rock and roll, jazz, etc songs). That's a lot of studying. It is good if you can sight-read, but most of those acts won't use any sheet paper at all; be aware of that.

Besides of technique, You'll have to learn how to get the right sound for each style, so it also includes some technology. If you're a keyboardist, make sure your axes can cover all the basic sound sets (and that could mean hundreds of different sounds!).

Once you are able to play "virtually every song out there" you could easily find a gig for every week day in different projects.

Also, it does not hurt if you can play at least two or three different instruments and do backing vocals, too.

My $ 0.02

• Members

I enjoy hanging out at the "Backstage with Band" forum but it's really not so much about individual players looking to book jazz, classical or cocktail gigs. HC.

I make about 80% of my income performing so I do over 200 dates per year. As far as classical or jazz gigs go, that is a dwindling market. I just did a tribute to a friend of mine who is an amazing sax player and all of his old jazz friends showed up to play. These guys were upper tier horn players in Detroit and most of them can't find much local work. The ones that are working are touring in someones band.

I am very fortunate to still be able to work so much and it is mainly because I am flexible and will learn new stuff and do just about anything musically to make the customers happy. I think a lot of musicians get stuck on a style or type of music and they expect the people to just dig it cause they do.

• Members

I'd say I gig in (2) original bands at a clip of 60 to 80 shows a year total, which is certainly not FT but still feels like "pretty active." If we weren't so very "adult," I'd bet we'd do more regional touring and that number would go up. But we are, erm, very adult.

In my experience, playing in original bands is a bitch--tough to get gigs, tough to get people to come to gigs. But the good shows are so very very worth it.

• Members

I just wondered- who here is, or aspires to be, a professional performing musician? (realizing SSS is more of a hangout for studio owners).

I enjoy hanging out at the "Backstage with Band" forum but it's really not so much about individual players looking to book jazz, classical or cocktail gigs. That particular category doesn't seem to have a "home" at HC.

Thanks to any willing to "out" themselves
:)

I gig full time although I do a lot of studio work when I'm home as well. Currently on a 9 week run in Europe. Doing 7 nights a week 5 sets a night on a Ship until the 1st. Then I get 2 days off and have to be in Stockholm to get on another ship for the same hours for 17 days!..It will seriously kick your ass.

Gigs back home in the US are {censored} right now. I used to do very well but then I left for a 5 month run in Europe Jan 08 and the gigs were very scarce in Alaska when I got back. I've since moved out of Alaska but most of my work is now in Europe but will start working locally again after we move to the

Southeast this winter. I'll still come over and do a couple ships a year but i'm going to be getting married and don't want to be away from home for months out of the year anymore.

Any questions you have about gigging fulltime these days, I will gladly answer. I will say SOLO is the way to go. $$-wise. :thu:

• Members

I gigged full time for around twenty years. Was in many bands and then became a band leader and had several of my own bands. Also did a one man show around London for a time. I miss it, am always on call now days caring for an elderly soul, but most of the gigs around here have dried up anyway.

Wish I could score some work from home musician gig, like putting bass, guitar, vocals, whatever is needed on other people's songs. Shame I have no connections.

• Members

I was a full time professional mercenary for the latter half or the '80's and early '90's... back when you could earn somewhat decent money. (By decent money, I mean high five figures to lower six figures.)

After that, I built a daytime career and played in a number of indie label acts making a starving, hoping to sign to a major.

Now I have one original project, a classic rock cover band (that is way too much fun) and my dance card is full. The cover band is a break even situation financially.

• Members
I was a full time professional mercenary for the latter half or the '80's and early '90's... back when you could earn somewhat decent money. (By decent money, I mean high five figures to lower six figures.)

You can still earn decent money. It ain't easy, but people are and do.

• Members

Full-time pro here -- I gig on average four nights a week: 2-3 nights solo acoustic, and 1-2 nights with my band. I play a mix of originals and covers, and have averaged over 200 gigs per year since 1982.

That doesn't count the time I spend in my studio working on both my projects and those of other musicians. I also do some broadcast production, video, graphic design, and publishing work as well.

The best part about being self-employed is that it's R-E-A-L hard to get fired!

:lol:

• Members

I gig very infrequently, just often enough to remember what I'm doing. Although I played in various bands in my teens and early 20s, it wasn't until I was in my mid 20s with a career that I started doing any serious recording or gigging, and have since then married and bought a house. My bandmates are all in similar situations one way or another, so doing this full-time is unfortunately not very practical.

Live shows have take on a pre-production role for new material before we record it. If we get an opportunity to play a local/regional festival or open for a particularly good touring act, we try to jump on that as well. I personally enjoy playing out and would like to do so more often - for many years if possible - if the circumstances were right.

• Members

I've been gigging in rock and roll cover bands part-time since the 1970's. I did one summer touring up and down the east coast playing Holiday Inns (now there's an experience I'll never forget).

Nowadays I usually do 1 or 2 nights every weekend, although my steady gig at a local ranch and club dried up this year when they went belly up.

I'm still developing my solo acoustic act and I keep working on the bagpipes, hoping to do weddings and funerals soon.

Archived