OK, I played a Gibson SG Zoot Suit last night...

curseoftruth

• Members

When these first came out a few months back, they were bashed pretty hard here, mainly by people judging them only on the picture and some of the specs. But being a fan of stange guitars, I was intrigued. They got a number of them in at my local GC, so I had to try them out. I tested through my usual test amp -- an big Vox modeling combo where I can try a variety of cleans and dirt channels.

I played a black and red model (they also had a red and blue didn't float my boat). First impression in person -- maybe the coolest looking guitar on the market. Looks tie-dyed. The headstock and neck, look just amazing. Thye look better in person than in the pictures. Very unique.

Feel: huge, monstrous 50s style neck that is super comfy to play. Very heavy guitar, heavier than any SG I've ever played or owned. So substantial. Excellent ebony fretboard. The neck/fretboard on these, fantastic.

It has a carved top style, like the SG Diablo, which I like a lot.

Tone -- well it has Gibson 500T/496R hot ceramics in it. I am a fan of those pups, I have them in one of my Les Pauls and in my Flying V. I always thought they would be to bright in an SG, but in this guitar, they are excellent. Great heavy rock tones (since I play hard rock - no complaints). In fact, they seem to have more character in the SG Zoot than in my Flying V. The 500T is a little more ballsy and the 496R in the neck is excellent for blues and is dark without being overly muddy.

Overall looks - OK, I get that this guitar is not for everybody, it is an odd bird to say the least and not all of the color combos work. Some people have mentioned they don't like the layered birch makeup (calling it plywood, which I guess by the definition of plywood, it would be) - but it is not chip board or particle board type of plywood. These are solid pieces glued together.

The overall feel is fantastic, from the neck, fretboard, down to the shape and weight of the body.

I might prefer individual controls for each pup, but as a gigging guitar and considering I don't really mess with my controls, this is minor.

I compared it to a used Gibson Tony Iommi they had on the floor. The Iommi felt cheap in comparison and was a lot more expensive. The neck pup on the Iommi sounded amazing but other than that, I was not impressed with the Iommi at all. I've owned a Gibson SG Special and a Gibson SG Classic, I like the Zoot better in every category.

I give it a :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: out of 5. My Gibson SG gas is back, I'll be getting a black and orange model when my financial situation improves.

609249.jpg

609243.jpg

zootneck.gif

• Members

I just puked in my mouth a little.

NOT, because of the guitar, or anything, but I had some alaskan king crab for dinner last night, and it was so awesome, I was just bummed that it was all gone.

But THEN, I had a great idea..... :idea:

Puke in my mouth.:thu:

MMMM. :love::love:

Crab dinner. Part Deux.

Carry on.:wave:

• Members

I would like them much better if they were just painted one color, or even just a clear finish to show off the construction. It's good stuff and not like the plywood Kramers and such from the 80's

I think I would pay about $700 tops for a new guitar with that construction. Martin has been using that stuff for years and most of the guitars built with it are around $550-$600.

I think these were a good idea pushed a little too far.

• Members

I just puked in my mouth a little.

NOT, because of the guitar, or anything, but I had some alaskan king crab for dinner last night, and it was so awesome, I was just bummed that it was all gone.

But THEN, I had a great idea.....
:idea:

Puke in my mouth.
:thu:

MMMM.
:love:
:love:

Crab dinner. Part Deux.

Carry on.
:wave:

I thought you hated that joke:poke:

And gross btw, but ya kinda funny:thu:

• Members

^ Agreed about the inlays.

I dont know though, I REALLY want to like the paintjob, but its just too... peace and lovey.

This isn't a paint job -- they are colored/dyed pieces of wood put together. They have a clear satin over it.

Then the comment, I wish they were one painted color? WTF? that is called the SG Special, Standard, Classic, etc.

And heavy is relative -- 5.7 pounds. Still light for a guitar, but heavy for an SG which I think are typically to light feeling for me. These have some substance to them, which is nice. Still, not as heavy as most Les Pauls by a mile. But I even like heavy guitars, tend to have a more ballsy tone.

The white/black, orange/black, and red/black all look great. The one I played was red/black. They had a blue/red -- didn't work for me, didn't like it. The rainbow one looks too much like candy (inside of a jaw breaker).

Like I said, see them in person and play one before passing judgement. I was impressed and I hate most guitars these days.

• Members

Saw them at local GC - must admit I kind of laughed when I saw one in person for the first time. They are cartoonish.

Played one at low-ish volume on a twin reverb that was sitting right next to it. Nice clean Fender tone (no big surprise). Did not see anything "dirty" to plug it into nearby and my gag reflex was starting to kick in, so I put it down and walked away.

Still do not want.

(Not even slightly)

• Members

I just don't understand how a plywood guitar can bring anywhere close to $1000. So the fact they are telling you it's plywood (as opposed to hiding it on their Epiphone line) deserves an honesty fee? Or is the Gibson logo just worth $700 regardless what they put it on?

-Mc

Archived