Avid launches consumer versions of Pro Tools

Phait

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few years ago there was a free version of Protools that didn't require their interface. I have heard stories of studios who use other applications showing it to potential clients who insist on using a Protools studio.

They also had a product called Avid Free DV for XP.

They cancelled it in September, 2007; but Google is amazing.

• CMS Author

Yea, that's what we need...another CRIPPLED version:)

What's your definition of "crippled?" That it doesn't have all the features of the $2,000 version? Do you really think someone who has only one $50 USB mic is going to know this version is "crippled?"

If you want ProTools, buy a full copy. You're worth it. You have songs to record and sell. You have clients waiting for your services. Why buy less than you need just to save a few bucks?

If you're still recording with the same headset mic as you use for talking to your friends with Skype, into the sound card on your computer, using something really sophisticated like Audacity, $100 for a better mic and a copy of ProTools would seem like a pretty good deal.

• Members
Native.

But my bird might be mistaken.
:lol:

If Cakewalk made an OS X version of Sonar and allowed users to buy one version and run it on either platform (like Reason, Live, NI Komplete, and lots of others), I'd buy it. I bought Sonar 2 a long time ago but have since abandoned it. Cross platform support would get me back for sure.

• Members
Please, if I'm taking the time to answer the inquiries as accurate as I can, try to refrain from speculating.

* The Mackie thing is something real, however it is being managed by the legal departments on both sides yet, as far as I know and there's no final resolution at this moment.

* Pro Tools Essentials is an entry-level version of Pro Tools which will be bundled in certain interfaces. It is a real product, but I don'e have all the details yet.

Sorry, but it seems really, really, really, absurd to think that Mackie would develop a product like this without researching and understanding the legal ramifications, and without securing the necessary licenses. It seems much more likely that the

• Members

What's your definition of "crippled?" That it doesn't have all the features of the $2,000 version? Do you really think someone who has only one $50 USB mic is going to know this version is "crippled?"

If you want ProTools, buy a full copy. You're worth it. You have songs to record and sell. You have clients waiting for your services. Why buy less than you need just to save a few bucks?

If you're still recording with the same headset mic as you use for talking to your friends with Skype, into the sound card on your computer, using something really sophisticated like Audacity, $100 for a better mic and a copy of ProTools would seem like a pretty good deal.

I don't think folks will be expecting too much of software included in a $100 USB mic, but I suspect that when folks mention the LE tier and use words like "crippled" they're first and foremost talking about lack of full plug delay compensation. That seems like the most perplexing missing feature, one that's seen as a basic in other DAWs. It seems especially odd, I think, particularly considering how many 'pro' features LE does have.

• Members

I can only imagine that AVID has a strong, perhaps even urgent desire to boost their image in investors' minds:

Oh... Well okay then. Big boost with M-Audio a few years back and now.. Not so rosy.

• Members

What's your definition of "crippled?"

LOL....Brilliant!!

• CMS Author

I suspect that when folks mention the LE tier and use words like "crippled" they're first and foremost talking about lack of full plug delay compensation. That seems like the most perplexing missing feature, one that's seen as a basic in other DAWs.

Have you seen enough information to know that this is a feature that's missing? As I recall from the press release (which is the only information I've seen so far) all it says is that it comes with fewer plug-ins than the standard M-Powered ProTools (which, in itself, comes with fewer plug-ins than LE) and that it's limited to 16 tracks.

Plug-in delay compensation is a fairly new feature of DAWs and I don't know how many do it really well. ProTools was one of the last to include that feature.

For someone who is only willing ot spend $100 to go from nothing to a competent basic recording setup with a brand name, I'm sure that it includes everything that's needed to get started, do some productive work, and learn a "standard" software that offers an upgrade path (OK, a PAID upgrad path). But as you say, someone with a pretty well equipped studio and fully functional DAW who wants to switch to ProTools isn't going to find a $100 solution here.

• CMS Author

I think this is brilliant as long as the project files are compatible with HD, LE, and m powered.

If they weren't, it would be really dumb. Avid is smarter than that. I exepct that it might get some use where someone in a band has a more or less real ProTools studio and other band members get a copy of the cheap version so they can work out or record parts independently, then import the files into the "master" version of the project.

• Members

For someone who is only willing ot spend $100 to go from nothing to a competent basic recording setup with a brand name, I'm sure that it includes everything that's needed to get started......

If you are talking Pro Tools...... the MBox Mini package is pretty amazing for $250. I have used Pro Tools for around 10 years. In my home studio I am using a MacPro but until recently did not have a portable system for my MacBook Pro.

I bought the MBox Mini for two reasons......to have a portable system and to get the free upgrade to Pro Tools 8, which was a $149 purchase on it's own.

PT 8 is way more than a competent system for someone making the move from say Audacity or Reaper...etc. And it comes with a very nice set of useable plug ins and virtual instruments like a virtual B3, Eleven Free guitar sim, BFD, Xpand synth, a sampler etc etc along with some lite versions of nice software like Reason Adapted, Ableton Live, Ozone 3, Celemony Melodyne etc. Tons of cool stuff and WAY better plug in's than previous versions of Tools. It also features more tracks now as well.

Granted Mbox Mini has only (1) XLR input, along with (2) 1/4" inputs and can only do two simultaneous inputs.......... but this is enough for many uses......especially when you use BFD for drums or some other drum software.

• Members

Have you seen enough information to know that this is a feature that's missing? As I recall from the press release (which is the
only
information I've seen so far) all it says is that it comes with fewer plug-ins than the standard M-Powered ProTools (which, in itself, comes with fewer plug-ins than LE) and that it's limited to 16 tracks.

Plug-in delay compensation is a fairly new feature of DAWs and I don't know how many do it really well. ProTools was one of the last to include that feature.

For someone who is only willing ot spend $100 to go from nothing to a competent basic recording setup with a brand name, I'm sure that it includes everything that's needed to get started, do some productive work, and learn a "standard" software that offers an upgrade path (OK, a PAID upgrad path). But as you say, someone with a pretty well equipped studio and fully functional DAW who wants to switch to ProTools isn't going to find a $100 solution here.

Well, I assume it won't have MORE features than LE 8.

And the lack of full PDC in LE/M-P V.8 and the necessity of using compensatory delay plugs like Mellowmuse ATA on other tracks continues to tick off LE and M-Powered users, as you can see from a quick search of a PT-heavy forum like GS.

This thread, which started not long after the LE8 feature set became public, probably sums a lot of feelings pretty well: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zone/418280-pt-le-still-doesnt-have-delay-comp.html

Here's a search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=pro+tools+le&as_epq=&as_oq=pdc+%22delay+compensation%22+%22delay+comp%22&as_eq=&num=50&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fgearslutz.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

With regard to the $100 price tag, certainly agreed that folks shouldn't kvetch too hard about getting a mic and even a crippled piece of software for such a relatively small amount. It's the 003 users who probably have something serious to gripe about...

• CMS Author

PTE should have 24 tracks like the free version. 16 is just to skimpy IMHO.

16? 24? Not much difference as long as "Unlimited" exists. I see no reason why a person who only wants to commit $100 to an entry level recording system wouldn't be happy with 16 tracks. You can develop some really good work habits if you know that you just can't keep adding things and sort them out later. That's what makes really bad mixes come from the hands of beginners.

• CMS Author

Well, I assume it won't have MORE features than LE 8.

That's certainly a reasonable assumption. And it also comes with a different level of I/O hardware.

And the lack of full PDC in LE/M-P V.8 and the necessity of using compensatory delay plugs like Mellowmuse ATA on
other
tracks continues to tick off LE and M-Powered users

Aha! So you need to go to the full blown ProTools in order to get plug-in compensation. So why blast the sub-entry level for not having it? I'm not familiar with Mellowmuse ATA, but it might be a program I read about that allows you to tell it which channels you have plug-ins on and how much delay they have (it it doesn't already know) and it does the math to adjust the other channels. That seems to be a reasonable approach to me. That's how digital consoles do it.

Like I've said, this new AmateurTools has little application for the Gearslutz or the Central Harmonizers. But it might bring you some new clients who use it at home and want to come to your studio and record some tracks in your great drum room or with your great piano, or find just the right vintage ribbon vocal mic from your collection.

Archived