Do you get a chubby for a "Chubby"? I do/did - my splooge - Epi V

GAS Man

• Members

30U-15811_front.jpg30U-15811_body-front-1.jpg

30U-15811_headstock-front.jpg

30U-15811_front-detail-3.jpg

30U-15811_front-detail.jpg

30U-15811_case.jpg

I discovered this model after it was already discontinued.

But I often thought, "how cool!" Limba (korina) V with P-90s.

Well, I just accidentally bumped into this used one ("EC") at Elderly and hit the splooge button.

Of course that's just the beginning of the GAS. Now I'll be thinking about some upgrade P-90s. Of course, I'll give it some time. ;)

But I've been looking at these off and on for a few years now. I just thought the opportunity was there from a credible dealer, so now or never.

• Members

Nice guitars, but the "Korina" Epi Vs seem to be a laminate over something (Mahog?)

Mine is..not that I give a shit, but some do!

:thu:

I'm not sure what they were doing then, but now-a-days they are putting a korina (limba) veneer over limba boards.

It's obviously cheaper to make a muti-piece body and then these Epi's use a solid sheet veneer to give a more solid piece appearance. The colors of limba can really vary so I think it's hard for people to tell for sure with a visual.

• Members

I like it:thu:

Thanks guys, and Brian maybe you could be thinking of what would be a good wind for this guy. I'm more of a bluesy or classic rock kinda guy.

I'll want to see how the stocks sound first, but even though the Epi P-90s usually get a bit more praise than their HBs, I still usually find them to be a bit bland. I like a bit more vibe. The more 3-D the tone, the happier I am.

The tort on this guy is kind of a cool touch idn't it?? ;)

• Members

I'm not sure what they were doing then, but now-a-days they are putting a korina (limba) veneer over limba boards.

It's obviously cheaper to make a muti-piece body and then these Epi's use a solid sheet veneer to give a more solid piece appearance. The colors of limba can really vary so I think it's hard for people to tell for sure with a visual.

Cool...maybe my '58 Epi V is Limba then.

Anyway, regardless that V of yours is a sweetie...I would rather have it than my '58, even though it plays soooo sweet!

• Members

Cool...maybe my '58 Epi V is Limba then.

Anyway, regardless that V of yours is a sweetie...I would rather have it than my '58, even though it plays soooo sweet!

That's partly where I'm being a sick f@#k cuz I have that one too. :rolleyes: They'll be like brother and sister. The '58 has a set of '57s going into it though. It was an ebay find, so at least I've been keeping the acquisition costs down a hair.

• Members

Very cool! Never seen one of those before...did you get a good price on it?

Not really. Elderly doesn't give away anything. This was $425 + shipping.

Considering you can get a brand new '58 any day of the week for $30 more, I'd say "No", but considering this model isn't all that common, I'd say I did okay.

• Members

Not really. Elderly doesn't give away anything. This was $425 + shipping.

Considering you can get a brand new '58 any day of the week for $30 more, I'd say "No", but considering this model isn't all that common, I'd say I did okay.

I'd say that was a pretty good deal considering the limited availability of that model. congrats!

• Members

I'd say that was a pretty good deal considering the limited availability of that model. congrats!

Thanks, I'll just have to see now if it actually ships. Elderly is a bit slow to respond. I remember a friend of mine bought a Peavey off that site once, and it stayed up there for days before they took it off their site. I could have just purchased a phantom image. :eek::lol:

But I just checked my home e-mail and I do have a confirmation e-mail. :thu: That's a positive sign

• Members

Thanks guys, and Brian maybe you could be thinking of what would be a good wind for this guy. I'm more of a bluesy or classic rock kinda guy.

I'll want to see how the stocks sound first, but even though the Epi P-90s usually get a bit more praise than their HBs, I still usually find them to be a bit bland. I like a bit more vibe. The more 3-D the tone, the happier I am.

The tort on this guy is kind of a cool touch idn't it??
;)

For what you've described, I'd think about a slightly overwound vintage set.

The tort PG is a nice touch.:thu:

• Members

Looks cool.

Curious to hear what you think of it when you get it.

I had a Hamer Korina Artist that I just couldn't bond with because the combination of Korina and hot SD P90s was entirely too "middy" for my taste. I know electric guitar is supposed to be a mid-range instrument, but I like to hear lows and highs, too.

• Members

slow down there, bub, you just blew my {censored}in mind

And I just realized I misspoke. Although I did get a set of '57s off of ebay, I confused myself. Those are going into my Epi '58 Korina Explorer. The Epi Korina '58 V is going to have a Jazz installed in the neck and a BB Pro in the bridge. I thought I might have a better chance of a worthwhile upgrade with an Alnico V magnets for a bit more of a compressed sound than '57s. (maybe (?))

• Members

As others have said, the guy this is named after is a "monsta" player... But I don't recall ever seeing a pic of him playing a "V"... but maybe he does now that he's got a sig model.

I didn't know he was popular enough to warrant a sig guitar.

It would look like a twig compared to his body size.

Cool though... I really dig the Epi P-90's in my '56 goldtop. They sound great and I can't come up with a good reason to upgrade them, other than being curious about how other P-90's would sound.

Rock it!

M

• Members

Cool though... I really dig the Epi P-90's in my '56 goldtop. They sound great and I can't come up with a good reason to upgrade them, other than being curious about how other P-90's would sound.M

I bought that same guitar for my stepson a couple years back. He's 28 and a bit of a better player than I am - nails a fair amount of Vai, Satriani, Hendrix and Eric Johnson tunes, and he says the exact same thing about those pickups as you did above.

My experience with the Epi P-90s is in the WildKat and Riviera P93 where I find them to be warm, but leave me wanting a bit more vibe. Probably especially in the WildKat. In the Riviera P-93 I appreciate the "phat" thing that they do. It's a stark contrast to my Yamaha Troy Van Leuven guitar which has more cut to it's tone.

• Members

As others have said, the guy this is named after is a "monsta" player... But I don't recall ever seeing a pic of him playing a "V"... but maybe he does now that he's got a sig model.

I didn't know he was popular enough to warrant a sig guitar.

It would look like a twig compared to his body size.

M

I couldn't find a YT vid, of him playing one either.

But asking him about what he thought about my purchase, and this is what he had to say -

[YOUTUBE]sIXhS5KbP98[/YOUTUBE]

Archived