Do you get a chubby for a "Chubby"? I do/did - my splooge - Epi V

GAS Man

• Members

I might be only one to think this, but P90s on a V just doesn't seem right.

I think for me, I see a Korina V and I think '58 and "blues", so P-90s are cool for me. Others certainly think "metal" and that would be a head trip for them.

• Members

should have some photos up of it this weekend.
:thu:

Mazi,

Let me know what you think of the Epi V if you would.

A shop near me has a new Korina Epi V in it's window

for sale for $475. It has been there for a bit and they

may take a little less...

I NEED a V. I know you know how that is!

Gary

• Members

Mazi,

Gary

I can tell you I like mine. This "Chubby" will be my second Epi V.

Here's number 1

DSC01910.jpgDSC01908.jpg

If you want a phatter bluesier sounding V, to me these Epi's are the way to go.

I got mine "new" from a real beeyatch off of ebay for a mere $390 including a HSC (which smelled musty like cat piss). So I got a good deal on it. Just happen to like smell of cat piss case odor. ;)

But in that second pic it is next to a $1800 Gibson. I tend to prefer the Epi.

The Gibson's tone has much more cut and more dimension, but I like the more casual feel of the Epi and its extra phat in its tone.

I think with a V you have to first figure out what you're going for - blues, classic rock or metal. The Epi is more of the former, but that doesn't mean that it won't scream with a p'up mod. But I really think that the tone of Vs suffer with that wood missing behind the bridge. So the Epi's pickups are kind of a natural compliment for that attribute. OTH, if you play with a lot of gain, then definition would be what you're looking for and then a stock Epi V wouldn't be your best bet out of the gate.

• Members

Mazi,

Gary

So far so good, but I'm still putting it through its paces, and I'm installing some new pickups in it that I have lying around. The stock pickups sounded nice, but I had some others that I was itching to try out.

First impression, is that how light the Korina is. The guitar weighs 6.5lbs but has a ton of tone and sustain. Very nice.

You should play that V and make them an offer if you like it.

Also, you just can't beat the '58 style, so classy. :love:

• Members

So far so good, but I'm still putting it through its paces, and I'm installing some new pickups in it that I have lying around. The stock pickups sounded nice, but I had some others that I was itching to try out.

First impression, is that how light the Korina is. The guitar weighs 6.5lbs but has a ton of tone and sustain. Very nice.

You should play that V and make them an offer if you like it.

Also, you just can't beat the '58 style, so classy.
:love:

Thanks much for the info and pics bro!

I think I will ride by and make them an offer tomorrow. I was planning on sticking a Dimarzio D-Sonic pickup in the bridge and making it a push pull

pot for splitting the pickups. I do play with a bunch of gain at times so I am

a gain whore!

I love the Korina Epi look as well. It is a super classy looking guitar!

• Members

Played this guitar yesterday when I was at Elderly. It's just as cool IRL

Amazing coincidence and Good To Hear!

I imagine I won't be seeing it for at least another 5 to 9 days, so it's good to hear a positive report while I contemplate "WTF have I done? Another guitar? :eek::cop: bad GAS'r :cry:

:wave:

• Members

My Epi 58 Korina V is a great guitar, let down by details.

It has the shittiest feeling pots and selector switch of pretty much any new guitar I have ever bought, but it plays so nicely, and sounds great, and it's a great weight.

I haven't upgraded the electrics yet, as I rarely play it out..I did sand the edge of the scratchplate which was badly cut.

I'm not fussed about changing the pickups, i think they sound great, but I do need to sort the cheap feeling electrics and get a bag or case for it.

• Members

My Epi 58 Korina V is a great guitar, let down by details.

It has the shittiest feeling pots and selector switch of pretty much any new guitar I have ever bought, but it plays so nicely, and sounds great, and it's a great weight.

I haven't upgraded the electrics yet, as I rarely play it out..I did sand the edge of the scratchplate which was badly cut.

I'm not fussed about changing the pickups, i think they sound great, but I do need to sort the cheap feeling electrics and get a bag or case for it.

I haven't noticed issues about pots and switches yet, but then again, I just don't seem to clue in on those fine points as much as others do (as long as they work. stay put and are quiet). As far as the pickups go, I probably already mentioned that I used to think about keeping the bridge pickup. I like the extra phat it brings. But I had pretty much all along thought I'd like more definition from the neck. So I already had an abandoned Jazz pickup which I thought might work well, then when the MF OCT20% deal was raging with me, I decided to pick up a Gibson BB Pro for the bridge as well so I could get it all done once and for all. Now I've just got to get the work done, or pop my own cherry with a soldering iron.

As far as cases goes, one thing cool about Eiphone guitars is that they mark down the prices of their cases in accordance with the relative cost of their guitars (to some degree). So, I know you're in the U.K., but like here you can get a form fitting Epi Flying V HSC shipped to your door for $80, and they are quite adequate.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVCS/

EVCS-large.jpg

• Members

I haven't noticed issues about pots and switches yet, but then again, I just don't seem to clue in on those fine points as much as others do (as long as they work. stay put and are quiet). As far as the pickups go, I probably already mentioned that I used to think about keeping the bridge pickup. I like the extra phat it brings. But I had pretty much all along thought I'd like more definition from the neck. So I already had an abandoned Jazz pickup which I thought might work well, then when the MF OCT20% deal was raging with me, I decided to pick up a Gibson BB Pro for the bridge as well so I could get it all done once and for all. Now I've just got to get the work done, or pop my own cherry with a soldering iron.

As far as cases goes, one thing cool about Eiphone guitars is that they mark down the prices of their cases in accordance with the relative cost of their guitars (to some degree). So, I know you're in the U.K., but like here you can get a form fitting Epi Flying V HSC shipped to your door for $80, and they are quite adequate.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVCS/

EVCS-large.jpg

• Members

UPDATE: STARDATE: 2009 16:01 PST

THE CHUBBY HAS LANDED!

and it's giving me a chubby. :o

Gosh, I'm goshing, and it's only been in my hands for a few moments, played it through a Vox AC4TV and a Roland 20X on Tube Drive so far.

Sounds great. Real gnarly growly tone, not thin or overly bright at all. I don't think the stock pickups will be going anywhere.

Very growly bluesy tone when cranked. I couldn't be happier, except one thing :(

The gigbag is totally black :mad: I would have preferred the brownish maroon color as they depicted (see post #1), that would have fit the retro look of this guitar better. But for a used guitar, I haven't spotted any dings, cracks or any buckle rash, just a bit of pick and finger nail swirl on the pg is all. :thu:

But come Monday morning, I'm sicking Fusion1 on their ass for this gigbag fiasco.

:lol:

:wave:

Archived