Tell us your age, gear, stlye or genre and how well you can feel you can play.

neffrocks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm 19.

Currently, I play a Squier TD Strat into a Peavey Windsor. I have a limited edition G400 and a Kelly Professional waiting for parts and pickups, and plans to either mod the Windsor or sell it.

I'm mostly a metal player, but I've been exploring bits of other styles (like finger picking, attempting hybrid picking) and genres (like jazzy and bluesy stuff, trying to get my foot in the door with classical and fusion) for about a year now.

I don't feel that I can play as well as I should or could. I don't feel that I play well at all, really. I need to push myself more and actually pick my Fretboard Logic book more often.

• Members

35, heterosektual, Mason or LTD through a modded VK 112 (sounds as good as my last Rivera) I use a digital reverb/hush, pulled the stock reverb POS tank out of the amp.

I played in a 80s type metal band through the early part of my twenties and now am into writing and recording everything from stoner metal to blues and banjo:eek: based grooves with my little brother on guitar or keys.

As far as how good...better than Kobain...not as good as Vai.

• Members

I'm 52 and I have a pile of acoustic and electric gear (see my GP page) covering a lot of musical styles. I mostly play classic rock and blues, but I'm game to give anything a go if it sounds interesting. I try to play at least an hour or more every single day. I mostly use a flat pick, but I'm also a middling finger picker and slide player.

I play live with a fun group of people in an eclectic garage band on a regular basis. I am mostly a rhythm player but I can also do pretty decent leads and chord melodies. I'm definitely not a star, but having a ton of fun with it.

• Members

Reverend Roundhouse HB-FM (Basically a Les Paul with treblebleeder pots and a Bass Countor knob.) with Angus Young Signature Humbucker in the Bridge.

Fender Classic 50's MiM strat. Soon to be upgraded with a Handmade bridge pickup.

The only effect I regularly use is a Fulltone OCD, and a Korg Pitchblack tuner. But, sometimes I bust out my Dunlop JH-1 wah, and my MXR 6-Band EQ.

My main amp is a Fender Blues Jr.

My main genre is blues, all variations of it. (Delta blues -> Chicago / Texas -> Bluesrock -> Funk -> Jazz-blues, etc etc.) I also do play some straight Jazz, Rock and Pop, but Blues is my real genre.

I gig now and then with my blues band, but nothing too regular. Not easy to pickup gigs for a band consisting of one 18 and three 16 year olds.

• Members

Wow, mostly youngsters here! Good on ya.

46, mostly Fender style guits but have really been getting into my Yammie SG lately in preparation for an audition sometime this week with a band that does top 40 and the other guit player (a very good friend of mine) plays exclusively Strats. Live guit rig is ADA MP1 into an Alesis RA100 MOSfet amp.

I'm actually primarily a bass player and have played all styles on bass. Guit has been mostly 80s-90s alt guitar rock but I'd really like to start heading in an alt country/ red dirt direction. I've always been a singer/ songwriter and only picked up enough guitar to facilitate that but have recently (last coupla years) have been doing a lot of woodshedding and think I'm ready to move up to the next level, playing different styles with a band not of my own direction. I think it will help me grow as a guitarist.

• Members

Turned 60 this year - played every day from 13 until 40. Started with bass, acoustic and electric slide - mostly delta blues, then rock. Turned down a European touring band at 18 in favour of college. College bands, school bands etc etc. Then career intervened and eventually an overseas posting stopped it 15 years ago.. Took it up again a couple of years ago and had to unlearn all my previous bad habits by woodshedding for most of that time. Hybrid mostly.

Now playing Steely Dan, Allmans, Govt Mule, Santana, Knopfler, still a bunch of old blues/rock, Yardbirds, Vultures, Brent Mason, plus anything thats a challenge. No genre barriers.

presque custom 24

prsque hollowbody

59 Dot Reissue 335

HT-5 ministack

Spider III 30w (Starter - I didn't know if I was going to play seriously again)

Peavey Rage (it was a gift to a good home)

Zoom 9.2tt for the stomp box and acoustic models

now? learning to sing outside the shower or music room..

I guess I can play more or less anything I like.......eventually.

But am I any good? I don't think so, but my wife thinks I am the CD player sometimes.

• Members

44, been playing for 20+ years.

Guitars are mostly telecasters, though I have strat, les paul, 335, gretsch, and others available. Amps - I gigged for a couple years with an AxeFX, and still love it. Also have a tweed deluxe, an old Magnatone, a SF Vibrolux, and a couple boutiquey things.

I've gigged with blues, rock, folk, funk, country and even zydeco bands. Right now I'm working on my slide technique, trying to add some rockabilly to the playlist, and trying to work some jazzy western swing to my country thang.

I'm good enough to step up on just about any stage and have fun, and contribute to the music. I'm on several CDs, and am still proud of the music. But I'm always looking to learn something more, there's always a way somewhere to make me a better player.

• Members

I'm 51.

I have a lot of guitars, iirc it's up to 25 electrics, 5 basses, and 3 acoustics (6-string, 12-string, 6-string acoustic-electric). About 3 or 4 each of guitar and bass rigs. There's a list in the sig, you didn't really want the whole list here I hope.

Style or genre? Well, I'm in four semi-active originals rock bands. Main one that I write for/sing in is old school punk rock and roll. I play guitar in my main band. Another is roots rock (think stuff like the Band, Dylan, Tom Petty, etc.), I currently play bass in that band, although I have played lead in it as well. Another is acoustic-oriented music, in that band I play mandolin and 12-string, I haven't played out with them yet but have been to a couple practices. Last is a keyboard-bass-drums trio that does mellow rock in a Ben Folds Five/Dave Matthews vein, in which I play bass.

There's also a fifth band that is on indefinite hiatus given that the singer lives 100 or so miles away (we have gigged since he moved though), which plays rock originals that remind me a little of the Smithereens or Pretenders. I play lead in that band, except when the bassist can't make it, in which case I play bass. I no longer consider that band even semi-active, though it still exists on paper and could probably pull itself together for a gig if the lead singer wanted to do one.

So, pretty much all over the map in the "simple, direct rock" categories. No jazz or wheedly-wheeing. I also play guitar (and occasional mandolin and banjo) in our church praise band, which does contemporary Christian rock/pop and praise songs, as well as new versions of old hymns.

I reckon I'm competent enough to do the things I need to do in those bands. I don't sight-read but am used to using lead sheets and improvising leads. Nothing fancy.

• Members

I'm 51.

I played electric, mostly rhythm, in tenager bands until around 19-20 when I switched to playing fingerstyle acoustic guitar. That I did exclusively and passionately for the next 25 years, not even owning an electric for much of that time. My thing was to learn one fingerstyle instrumental piece after the other. How many pieces I have learned and played over those 25 years would probably boggle my mind (and some of yours) if I could count them. My peak technically was 15 years ago. I had the fingers, the ears and an unusually good memory. Today, I'm still goodish but nowhere near as good as I was back then. On the other hand I am musically less of a one-trick-pony and probably a better musician overall even though I don't have the chops anymore to render that. My skillz at playing electric are poor-to-average but it's fun nonetheless.

What styles? I like melodic stuff. It may be fast, it maybe slow but it has to be melodic.

• Members

35 years old, been playing since I was 12. I played classical fingerstyle before I got my first cheapo electric when I was 16.

Gear:

Fender Highway 1 tele (soon to be equipped with Dimarzio Twang kings, the stock pups are way too hot for my tastes)

Reverend Flatroc set up for slide

Reverend Sensei (Les Paul/SG hybrid) for a more distorted sound

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, T-Rex Mudhoney

Style:

I listen to rock, blues, country, jazz, soul and pop. I

• Members

36 - a couple of semis, a couple of strats, a tele and something LPish into a Mesa MK III, Rivera R30 or Matchless clone.

My steady band is a top 40/hits thing which means I play a bit of everything as long as people can dance. I have been in blues bands and jazz groups too, the latter being something I want to move into in a more serious manner along the way.

I'm 39, and I play and teach guitar for a living. I tend to play alot of stuff but my favorite styles are Rock, Soul and Blues - you can see a whole shows worth of videos from my band here: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10229

Here is a list of gear:

2004 Les Paul Standard

2002 Suhr Classic

2007 Suhr Classic T

1989 Ibanez RG550 tongue.gif

Warmoth strat

1982 Fender '62 Reissue

1979 Gibson "The Paul"

1979 Tokai Springy Sound

1986 Rickenbacker 620

70's Memphis

1998 GuildDV52

19?? Yamaha APX

1992 Takamine Nylon String

2001 Fender MIM PJ Bass

Keeley Compressor

Turbo Tuner

Barber Direct Drive

Xotic BB Preamp

Xotic RC Booster

EHX Small Stone

MXR Carbon Copy

Fulltone Wah

1971 Fender Deluxe Reverb

1965 Fender Bassman

2 1964 Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve Amps

2008 Peavey Penta

PodXT

We have a ton of other stuff in the studio I won't count but my recording gear is an Mbox2 mini into a 20" iMac and a Presonus Firestudio into a 27" iMac with a Digi 003.

www.markweinguitarlessons.com - lesson site

www.premierschoolofmusic.com - studio

http://blog.markwein.com - my blog on Guitars and stuff

www.MWGLstore.com - my online music store

tongue.gifBuy Foundations for Guitar on Amazon.com! tongue.gif

• Members

Sheraton II with custom pickups, Fernanes strat with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds, Squire Classic Vibe Tele, Epi John Lennon Acoustic

Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue

Ernie Ball VP Jr - Blackstone OD - (soon to be Devi Ever Bit fuzz) - Pigtronix Mothership - POG - Wiggler - Deluxe Electric Mistress - Small Clone - vintage Small Stone - Holy Grail - Deluxe Memory Man - Nova Delay

Used to play a LOT of instrumental music...big compositions and really grand arrangements. My love has always been pop music (Beach Boys!) and psychadelic music (Pink Floyd).....so my writing has always been in that vein.

I'm much more of a songwriter/composer/arranger than I am a wicked guitar player...but I use a lot of effects to make textures & soundscapes mostly.

Oh who am I kidding....I'm a hack...:facepalm:

• Members

Yo check it, I is 23.

I either play with an epi lp studio(white) or a mim strat.

Lp has a jb in the bridge and a prails in the neck (replaced neck tone pot with 3 way toggle for rails. Strat has only a phat cat (bridge) and a tele rhythm (middle)

Amp is a mesa nomad 45212, gots the mxr 10 band in the loop, and a pitchblack.

Lately, I've been runnin the mesas slave out into the input of my fender fm 212 then I turn the treble atw down and the bass atw up and thicken my sound to taste. Frankenstack.

I play primarily punk, but delve into reggae, ska, surf, and sometimes 50s rock stuff (chuck).

I don't suck, I catch on quick and can play pretty fast, leads tho are very basic.

• Members

I'm 33. My #1 guitar is my '06 MIK Reverend Jetstream 390 and my #1 amp is my '72 Twin Reverb. Once I got the TR I stopped using effects, turns out reverb is all I need. I have other mid-range gear as well. I wouldn't say I'm that good really but I've been in bands since I was 15. People have told me at times that I'm good or whatever and those have been some of the most awkward moments of my life. It's nice they think that but you know it's not true. I write my own stuff 99% of the time and I've only been in one band that wasn't all originals. The stuff I write usually ends up being rhythmic and progression oriented. I'm going to make a concerted effort to learn some covers this year though. I guess that's about it.

• Members

56 years on, main axe is a SMK Musicworks Strat. A Marshall TSL 100 at bigger venues, an AC 30 TB in the smaller clubs. I the studio will use an AC 15 , or a old Princeton Reverb. Don't use many fx, only on the tunes that call for some delay, chorus, wah etc. I would consider meself a competent player after forty odd years. Style is all over the place, as we do mostly covers, a few originals.

• Members

I'm 28; I started playing just about three years ago, when I was 25. At first, my style is what you would call "Hal Leonard", because those were my first guitar books. Then I got wise, realized I'd get better with lessons, and have been doing that since.

I play a lot of classical guitar, and love it. It is a challenging instrument, and requires a lot of hard, focused practicing to tackle the more difficult repertoire. It really focuses my mind. I love it. To me, the classical guitar has maybe the most beautiful sound in all of music.

My own personal style is a mix of folk and blues. I steal mercilessly from my classical guitar training when doing my own thing, playing fingerstyle and using all the wonderful chord voicings and inversions that I learn along the way. I write and practice my own music, because if I didn't, I'd get bored really quickly. I don't really like learning other people's songs, though when I do, I learn more chords/techniques that I can use in my own music.

If you care about my rig, I play a semi-hollowbody through a Classic 30. But I really hope you read what I wrote above.

Archived