Tell us your age, gear, stlye or genre and how well you can feel you can play.

neffrocks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

48 years old. Been playing for 9 years.

Main guitars: Guild Starfire IV, Hofner Verythin Standard, or Guild M-75. Amps: Mesa F-30, Rivera Quiana Studio, or Hughes and Kettner Thirty, all of which have gorgeous but different clean sounds.

Hobbyist. Play my favorite songs (Steely Dan, Beatles, Dylan, Los Lobos, for example) or improvise solos/chord progressions to have fun and relax. Take lessons and love guitar because there is always something new to learn.

• Members

I'm 20, I play either my 05 Sg Faded Special, straight into my THD Univalve.

Or i plug in my hot rodded Ibanez Stagestar through a DD-5 delay, into the same amp. I also have a XT Live when I need more effects than that.

I play a lot of different styles, but mostly into Alternative rock and blues.

• Members

18 years old, and I prefer rock-oriented (as opposed to R&B-oriented) pop. Other genres are too much of a challenge to listen to. As such, my guitar ability is more rhythm-oriented. My bass work is more melodic.

My gear (in my sig) is very suited towards what I play.

I wish I was much older and had a better taste in music NOW.

• Members

I have a bunch of random gear, but my main set up electrically is
Epi Sheraton>GFS tuner>vox wah>mxr phase 90>Ibanez TS9>Visual Sounds H20

Blues, though I started out a couple years ago doing mostly classic rock esp. The Beatles(hence the name) I listen to all kinds of music though

People tell me that I'm good for my age, I think I'm just another blues-rocker. I need to work on Rhythm, lead comes naturally though

• Members

Interesting thread, even from a self-analysis standpoint! 36, started playing at 16. I grew up with hard rock & heavy metal, and went through a huge blues phase in my 20s. Lately I've been revisiting my high school metal roots and learning how to shred a bit. I take forays into country, jazz, classical, etc. If I had to sum it up, I'd say I'm a "classic rock" guy, because classic rock incorporates so many genres. That's kind of the cool thing about classic rock to me. As I mentioned in the influences thread, my three biggest are SRV, Santana, and the Allman Brothers' guitarists, but I'd also have to mention Kirk Hammet, BB King, Buddy Guy, Lucinda Williams, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and a host of others.

Gear wise, I've played through a Dr. Z MAZ 38 Studio Deluxe for ten years now, with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for overdrive. Occasionally I'll add a Voodoo Labs Microvibe, Digitech delay and Bad Horsie wah. That's pretty much my sound regardless what guitar I'm using. I mosly play my LP Traditional, and heavily modified 57 reissue strat w/ Dimarzios and standard fretwire, but I also pull out my SRV strat and a frankenstein tele w/ a Hot Rails in the bridge if needed. My acoustics are a Takamine John Jorgensson model and a National Polychrome Tricone resonator, which I use for delta blues/slide stuff.

I think I'm an upper-intermediate player. Not a professional guitarist, but pretty good for an amateur (hopefully, having been at it for 20 years now!). I've played in a bunch of bands over the years, I think I'm a solid improviser for blues, rock and country stuff. Theory-wise, I know enough to be dangerous and make things interesting, but it's not something I've formally studied. I've done a handful of jazz gigs, and I made it through, but it definitely wasn't easy for me to follow the real book charts (I am currently learning to sight read, so I think it's something I'm getting better at).

Chops-wise, I'm okay, nothing extraordinary. It wasn't until the last year or so that I really started working on technique, practicing with a metronome, etc. I'm kind of a loose player, which probably stems from my lack of discipline when I was a younger player, and my years playing blues and jam-band stuff.

Strengths: improvisation, melody, enough theory to make things interesting, songwriting, blues & rock
Weaknesses: general sloppiness, lack of technical skill hurts my metal/faster playing, only average music theory knowledge, jazz & classical
Working on: learning to sight read, working on technique

My sig has links to my music.

• Members
...Somebody recently described it as Very Loud Folk. I like that much better.... Purely as a guitarist - let's just say that after decades of perseverance I'm about as good as I thought I was in 1986.

hah, that's great. I can see why you're a singer-songwriter, you have a way with words.

• Members

Short version: 44, mainly Strats, hard rock/punk/metal/stoner, and I'm not as good as I used to be.

Here's the long version, if you're up to reading. :cop:

I'm 44 years old. I started playing when I was 13. In the early 80s I owned a Charvel, an early JCM 800, an MXR Phase 90 and an MXR Distortion +. Back then I prayed to the gods Edward Van Halen and Randy Rhoads. I played in a VH-style band named AWOL, and in the summer of 1984 we gigged a couple of times, roaring through covers of Sweet, the Beatles, T.Rex, The Who, the Kinks and others. We covered "Smokin' in the Boys Room" before Motley Crue put it to vinyl. They did a better job, I have to admit. ;)

In 1985 I sold all my gear (something I regret to this day) because I was on a mission to get into the recording business. I was sick of overdubs and wanted to be the evangelist of a back-to-basics, band-oriented recording philosophy (an approach that, thankfully, exists today). As I was to learn over the next few years, I was beating my head against the wall. It was about "who you know," not "what you want." By 1989 I had made little progress toward my goal. I was heavily in debt, and I had to take a "real job."

In 1986, after I'd quit playing, my band's lead guitarist had died in a car accident at age 22. He was probably my best friend -- he had taught me everything I knew about playing, from 70s rock and blues to screaming metal to two-handed tapping. Patient and conscientious, he was a natural teacher and a monster player, and I know he would have gone places. He'd recorded a demo of "Classical Gas" for his mom that sounded like Mason Williams himself had done it ... but by 1990 he'd been gone for four years already and I had no reason to go back to playing guitar.

But the spirit of the guitar had never really left me.

A few years ago, inspired by the White Stripes, my brother got a guitar -- which I felt was very odd, because he was a drummer and had never been interested in guitar. I shared some of my experience with him, and it rekindled the fire. The passion was still there. For the first time in years, I began hearing sounds and music I wanted to make again. Maybe it was part inspiration and part sibling rivalry that did it. I started researching equipment, feeling nostalgic and inspired. In early 2007 I bought a Highway One Strat, an Orange Tiny Terror and an Orange 212 cabinet, and I was off and running again.

My playing is pretty different from what I played in the 80s. I'm too heavy handed now and I'm not as articulate and fast. Jeez, I was much faster in the 80s. :facepalm: But my rhythm playing has actually gotten better. I'm sloppy but effective. I hardly touch the tremolo bar anymore, and I do two-handed tapping every other month rather than every other minute. :D

I sold the Orange TT and cab, but now I have a Blackstar HT-5 paired with an Avatar 1x12 with a Greenback. This gets me near the Plexi sound I chased for years, when the brown sound was everything to me. Just an insane little amp.

Back in the 80s, I never played any Black Sabbath. Now it's almost the foundation of my playing. And the White Stripes got me back playing simple, killer riffs again. Now I play just because I love it, and not partly out of the delusions of grandeur most of us have when we're young. I can't devote nearly as much time playing as I used to, but the spirit to play will always be with me.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :thu:

• Members

i am 17 years old :)

i have been playing for almost 6 years, in may that is :)

my geetars: 82 Tokai strat, Ltd EC-400, Ibanez Rg 370 dx, Yamaha Pacifica 112.

Amp: dont have one currently. I am using the one in the Rehearsel space..

I was a broot in my early teens. (Explains the Ibanez and LTD)

But now i aint playing that anymore.. But it was good for me, becuase i got all the technical abilities that i wanted.. Now i am into pop/rock/Blues and a little bit of jazz :) But i still have a long life in front of me :)

I think that i am pretty good, not fantastic.. But overall i am very pleased with my progress..

And here is a little video with me playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f50KHAsKjZ8

i would be very happy if you looked at it :)

• Members

Age 21

Equipment, various Guitars, Heavily upgraded Strat / Scalloped neck, Jackson Dinky, etc played through a DOD 250 OD pedal pushing my amp which is a Traynor Ycv50 blue which has also been modified.

I've been playing for 5 years now, self taught and I'm mainly interested in bluesy / instrumental stuff currently. I do play the occasionally malmsteen lick / been working on sweep picking, legato, etc. I enjoy lead guitar mostly. I originally started out playing Rhythm and always tried to challenge myself as much as I could. Almost all my early music was Thrash related somehow (old metallica, megadeth, metal church etc). I also enjoy finger picking / classical Guitar when I get into those phases.

Overally I try to work on my phrasing and technique as much as I can. I don't want to say I can play something and then in reality sound like crap playing it to everyone else. I love Guitar and it's my number 1 passion and hobby. I don't practice quite as much as I used to but back in the day I never missed a day playing 3-4 hours at least.

Overall my biggest weakness is my theory. More than likely I wouldn't be able to explain to you exactly what I'm playing (note/chord wise) but I tend to be able to learn most styles I'm interested in. I believe I'm above average just basing that off of people I know / met / internet related stuff and the length of time I've been playing. I picked most things up fairly fast. Though I don't think I'm a prodigy or something by any means and I'm always trying to better myself. I just play because I like it and I find it very fun / relaxing!

Long term wise I'm going to learn more theory and of cours always try to improve how I play and learn new styles.

• Members

I'm 34. I lead worship in a church setting, so mostly clean/some overdrive is what I play live. If I had to describe the sound I like, it would be more of a classic overdrive sound. How well can I play? I'm no Malmsteen...that's for sure. I wouldn't even call myself an "advanced" player, but I do play quite a bit, and enjoy playing with a band.

My Gear:

2008 Am. Standard Tele
Epi Les Paul Plain-top
Epi Dot Deluxe
Fender P-Bass

Marshall Haze 40 watt combo
Vox AC50cp2
Vox Tonelab LE

• Members

40. Squier Stagemaster loaded with SD Invaders and a Floyd through a Marshall DSL 100, using a Digitech 3000 for effects. Heavy Metal.

I took classical guitar in college so I know just how much I suck. I swear I was much better as a teen. I want to go back and take lessons to fill in the gaps in my education, maybe start playing jazz or country. Chet Atkins was a beast.

• Members

I'm 33.

Electric guitars currently in playable condition: '86 Fender AVRI '57 Strat, '69 Fender Tele, Hamer Special P90, Hamer Special Custom, Neafsey Custom, Charvel CX290

Amps: Valvetech Hayseed 30, MusicMan HD130, Trace Elliot Tramp, Leslie Model 900, various speaker cabinets

Effects: Lots of them. MXR, Fulltone, Boss, EHX, Deltalab, SIB, Korg, Dunlop, Vox, and more.

I've been playing in bands since I was 15, as a guitarist and as a drummer. I've played metal, punk, jam band/psychedelia, blues/rock, and most recently "alt. country" and "indie rock". I've taken the last year off of playing in a band (the most time I've ever spent not in a band) to spend time with my daughter. I'm looking to put together something else soon, maybe an Irish Folk ensemble or some other acoustic based thing.

I consider myself an OK guitarist. By no means great. I'm much stronger playing rythym, and I'm a fairly good songwriter (I think) and very good at writing parts that fit well within a song. My lead playing is tasteful, but not impressive. I'm not a very good improvisational player, but I'm working on it. Although I haven't been playing drums as long as guitar, I'm probably a better drummer. However guitar is my first love and I enjoy it just a little more.

• Members

Recently turned 55, started playing again at 47 after close to a 30 year hiatus. Play more for therapy and to stay out of trouble (live in Vegas) than anything else). Never played professionally but have done the blues jam bar thing once and been involved in four talent shows - two at work and two as an accompaniest for my daughter. Last performance was solo acoustic (Christmas Show) in which I got a picture and some press in my company's international newsletter. This has inspired me to start doing more acoustic open mics when I can find the time. Certainly not getting rid of my electrics however, and my main focus is becoming a better lead player. As far as gear, I have some nice guitars and amps (domestic and import, single, and hum, tube and SS) and have recently taken more of an interest in pedals (after seeing how cool a wah sounds behind an OD and delay).

• Members

I'm 40 this year, very much a beginner. I can just about play open chords and am learning to strum and play basic songs.
I don't have a style or genre but would like to play like Brian Setzer or George Benson.

Not got a bleedin' prayer.........................here is my gear.:)

This is me struggling my bollocks off to play.....http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyLarge1970#p/a/u/1/Itz147HZ03I
GuitarAmp.jpg

• Members

I'm 43, I've been playing on and off for about four years. I seem to be stuck in advanced beginner stage.

I have the guitars listed in my signature, Fender Vibro Champ XD and Bugera V5 amps, and a bunch of pedals.

I like raw blues and rock stuff, White Stripes, Black Keys, Drive-By Truckers, etc. etc.

• Members

Gear: What you see in my sig is pretty much it.

Style/Genre: Blues, R&B, funk, rock, some country-ish stuff. I'd like to get more into a Jazz/Swing/Country/Western Swing/Rockabilly conglomeration style. Working on my Travis picking right now with good results.

Level: Even though I've been playing since I was a kid (around 11 years old) I'd still only describe myself as an intermediate level player. I'm only a "living room" player anyway and playing is more about tapping into the soul and learning about music by "inhabiting" it. I'd say if I had to play with others I'd probably do okay since I think I have good feel and phrasing. I think I know how to add to a song's feel without overwhelming it. That's it.

• Members
I'm 40 this year, very much a beginner. I can just about play open chords and am learning to strum and play basic songs.

I don't have a style or genre but would like to play like Brian Setzer or George Benson.

Not got a bleedin' prayer.........................here is my gear.
:)
GuitarAmp.jpg

Looks like a nice rig.

Stick with it my brotha! Just enjoy the experiance of learning stuff. You'll get there.

• Members

age 23, been playing for about 4 years, at least 2.5 solidly into playing

been in a couple of bands early on, didnt work, wasnt really good enough, went to uni for a year, didnt really go to many classes, ended up playing the guitar a {censored}load, came home, got a job, started buying more and more gear, ended up jamming with a couple more bands, but things didnt really work out (in terms of what we all wanted to play etc etc) so i just played for myself for a while, then some local band picked me up ( about 2 years to the week actually) and never looked back, best thing i ever did, playing with a better drummer and bassist, got to know each other pretty well, each other boundaries etc, had a decent practice space about 200meters away from ym house, went down everyday, learn more and more. i play mainly rock/blues orientated music, i also learnt some metal along the way, then some solo instrumental stuff (thanks paul gilbert!!!), then some more classic rock and a few modern tunes. the kind of covers i play, pearl jam, ratm, soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, nirvana, paul gilber, racer x, led zeppelin, pantera, hatebreed, throwdown, ac/dc, buckethead (try), lamb of god, muse, chilli's, deep purple, hendrix, SRV, mastodon, metallica, megadeth, GNR, incubus, foo fighters, audioslave, soad, just whatever i feel like playing. nowadays i kinda just mess about with learning covers and concentrate on writing for the band, and evjoying playing, hoping to go to BIMm this year (didnt quite make it last year and stupidly turned down a place at guitar-x:facepalm: , but id rather be in brighton than london, its much more like home there, and a completely better atmostphere).

ability?? not sure, somewhere along the intermediate range, i can play better and have a better technique idea of what i want to play than theory knowledge. i know the basic scales (min, maj, blues, pentatonics) over most of the fretboard, i can play a variety of chords and construct them, but dont really have a clue what all the names are, with all these inversions and added whatevers. sight reading, cant really do, had a go, but its not what i want to be doing right now, so it can wait. need to do some proper work opn modes really, and coming with more song ideas, i want to try and write some instrumental stuff, but that takes time. so, not really sure all that much on ability, but i love playing, and thats it.

as far as gear goes, i managed to get myself into a decent position in a decent job, so i did end up going a little mad sometimes, but whatever,

04 MIA strat (burst/texas specials), 08 mahogany special strat (crimson red/HSS/black headstock/LSR), fender lite ash tele, ibanez S470DXQM (ZR trem, PAF's), 1991 ibanez PGM300, ibanez RG321EX (dimebucker, droptuning) squire strat, MIA loaded guard, bit of a beater, epiphone les paul special 2, beat up, but first guitar, will never leave.

marshall Valvestate 100w, marshall JVM410 head, and 4x12 with GT75's, some laney amp (SS, small practice combo)

modded DS-1, OD-1, NS-2, philosiphers tone, pitchblack tuner, ibanez FL-9, MXR CC

got rid of loads of effects, was making everything way more difficult than it needed to be, all i have is all i need. wow, long post, maybe a little OTT

• Members

Cheers.....

The amplifier is placed on an old hi-fi speaker stand, one of the cheap types that tilts back a little. You wouldn't believe how much different this makes. There is no more overblown bass and the middle and treble are pointed up into the room. I would say the sound has been improved by 50% just by doing this.:thu:

• Members

I'm 24, bee playing since I was 16

My guitar style is bluesey with simple chords.

I know no songs, and only know the intros to a handful. I make my own songs up with those few chords I know. Should know more, but I've had no lessons or anyone to sit and show me play. I could never get my head round a whole tab and can't read music.

I play around with my VT15 and 50s Classic series Strat. I've got a clean sound then if I want to push I have a Double Muff. I'm obviously a puely bedroom player

• Members

I'm 24, bee playing since I was 16

My guitar style is bluesey with simple chords.

I know no songs, and only know the intros to a handful. I make my own songs up with those few chords I know. Should know more, but I've had no lessons or anyone to sit and show me play. I could never get my head round a whole tab and can't read music.

I play around with my VT15 and 50s Classic series Strat. I've got a clean sound then if I want to push I have a Double Muff. I'm obviously a puely bedroom player

You're at about the same level as me. I can't afford lessons and it does my head in sometimes. I seem to have made a little progress recently though.

It's really good when something clicks and things seem clearer for a while.

ATB

John:)

• Members

I'm fifteen currently. My main rig is an Ernie Ball Music Man JP6, a Parker Fly Deluxe, an Ibanez Performer 300 and a Samick Radio Ten Blues Saraceno model into either a Mesa Mark III (Might be swapping this for a Mesa Stiletto Trident in the near future), utilized with a few overdrive and delay pedals, or a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with the Sanpera II floorboard. I mainly play lead oriented rock, with dashes of metal, progressive, fusion, jazz, blues, and most everything else thrown in (some of my favourite players are Andy Timmons, John Petrucci, Blues Saraceno, Edward Van Halen, and Jason Becker, to give an idea). I'd consider myself quite good, due to my many years of playing, and the fact that a lot of it just comes naturally to me. There's always room to improve though, and I'm constantly learning new things from everyone who I jam or play with.

• Members

I'm 16, have been playing since last year's March.
You can see my rig and my possible future gear plans in my sig.

I'm self thaught and there's a really long way to go to become a good guitar player but I'm optimistic, I guess I have time.

However, I've never taken enough time to simply learn scales or concentrate on working on my technique and stuff, which I realise that I need to do.
I plan to really WORK on my guitar skills on holidays since school takes pretty much time.

I mainly play (or try to play) hard rock and some metal songs (ACDC, Metallica, RATM, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, ZZ Top, nothing what's really br00t4l), but I really want to learn some completely different styles like blues, country, classical, maybe some jazz, etc.

Archived