Solos are cheesy

Engl Kramer

• Members

Personally, I like a good solo in a song. Note that I said IN a song, NOT the whole song. When a song is written around the solo, that's when it becomes cheese, IMO. Wanking, in most cases, is best done in the privacy of one's home. :thu: EDIT: Some people can do it constructively and make it sound good- Satriani. Others...............cheese.

• Members

Cheese is way better than guitar solos. It is completely unfair to compare the greatness of cheese to the weakness of solos. But what about solos played on this -
bfoot-vigier-bbfscg.jpg

A good point well made sir.:thu:

I shall however remove my flameproof suit to reveal the troll within, before adding:

Metal solos are easily the worst.

Overly flash and horribly horribly cheesy in the worst mild cheese kind of way.

I'm a Metal dude and I love all the palm muted rhythm goodness I can get- but when that solo starts - laters.

• Members

I don't know if I'd call guitar solos cheezy. I do think they are often overdone. Not every song benefits from a gutar solo, and it takes an awfully fine player to keep my interest past 8 or 12 bars.

+1000. You nailed it. The longest solo's that I still think are pretty great are

1. Sultans of Swing

2. Aqualung

3. Crazy Train

There are others(solos) that I like but most of them are shorter(less bars) then the aforementioned.

When the record company homos cast the "formula" in the 80's that placed the obligitory guitar solo at EXACTLY the 3:10 mark of EVERY track I began to vomit in my mouth. Its like they were actually saying "and dont forget to lean WAAY back pointing your axe to the sky and make sure your hair is cascading down towards the ground when you hit that note". F-ing rediculus.

• Members

Lead guitar - ok can be great if it benefits the track.

Solos - smug and cheesy.

I feel kind of the same way about vocal tracks. :) Lyrics strike me as of little importance to a song.

If I haven't already thought of what some guy is saying in his lyrics, maybe I should have stayed in school longer. :)

Archived