Crap! Talk Me Out of It!

Beck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I had motorcycles, they were always my primary mode of transportation. As a poor, starving college student I started out with a little Yamaha 60cc two stroke. I drove that to my evening job while living in the dorm at he UofM until it got too cold. When the bus drivers went on strike I drove it even when it was too cold, often returning in the snow. I drove that down to 10 degrees and then made the boss pay cab fair.

Next in line was the Honda 125 twin. I drove that from Minneapolis to the Black Hills (about 600 + miles each way) accompanied by friends on a BSA 441, Honda 305 Dream, Triumph 500 (?), and another that I don't recall. My little 125 stayed right with them.

After the 125 came a Honda 175. I used to drive it to northern Minnesota to visit the GF just about each weekend that summer. That's the one I blew a hole through one piston. Simple repair job which is one great thing about motorcycles. I have never worked on a car, but did all the required work on the bikes. During the ownership of the 175 I also bought my first car, a 1965 Dodge Polara. I still used the MC as the primary transportation.

The Honda 350 in the picture above was next. I bought it new (my first new motorcycle). I owned it for about 3 weeks, drove it to Alexandria Virginia during Hurricane Agnes and got so sore I sold it there (for what I paid for it) and flew home.

When I returned home by air, I promptly went out and bought the Honda 550. For some reason I very much enjoyed long trips on the MC's that I owned, even motorcycles that were way too small for what I was attempting. I made my second trip to the Black Hills on this bike. I had it for a few years, driving it to work in downtown Minneapolis when I worked for a brokerage company, and then to my electronics trade school and my remastering job at Pickwick Records. When I started acquiring recording equipment I realized I couldn't haul my gear on the MC, sold it and my then car (a 1967 Olds Delmont 88) and purchased a Datsun 510 station wagon. If not for getting into recording I would probably still be driving a bike of some kind.

In all that driving, I did dump the 550 one time on a drizzling day when another driver went through a stop sign in front of me. I was sore for a few days, the bike had minor damage, but I still continued to ride. I still say go for it, but with the realization that everyone else on the road is gunning for you (sort of).

• Members

On my way to the supermarket tonight I went past a motorcycle wreck. The ambulance had just rushed by and I drove up on the police car with it's lights going. A bike was there all smashed and it looked like the handlebars were gone, snapped off. Looked pretty bad.

Almost every other morning it seems, there is a "motorcycle down" report on the traffic report in Los Angeles.

• Members
No sour grapes here. I could care less - I don't ride and never will.

I was just pointing out that the whole outlaw image thing that people seem attracted to is no longer the reality. Harley have diluted their brand.

FYI Gibson has done the same thing by selling $9K Les Pauls. It might be a really nice guitar but if it's hanging on your dentist's wall, it's not a cool guitar.[/quote

I have to reconsider your point about Harleys and Baby Boomers, there is an AP article in the paper today showing the new 3 wheel Harley now available to the 'Dinosaur' set.
Also agree about the real expensive Guitars hanging in glass cases at Dentists and Doctors offices as conversation pieces/trophys.

These guys can do a root canal or Bariatic Surgery but they are hard pressed to be able to play a C chord.:thu:

• Members

Guitars hanging in dentists' or doctors' offices: is this common? I don't know that I've ever seen anyone hanging a guitar in their house or office as decoration. Just wondering.

I have a bunch of basses and guitars hanging around different parts of my house - they're beautiful to look at - 3D pieces of art. I also have a good job.

That whole 'having a good job' thing must necessarily negate the 40+ years I've been playing with bands. I seem to have just forgotten how to play a 'C' chord as well - imagine that?

Oh, and to the OP - if you need a motorcycle and it has to be a loud-assed HD with straight-shooter pipes, then congratulations - your mid-life crisis is in full bloom.

• Members

You can't argue with history.

Dentist who introduced Beatles to LSD
In a new book the music writer, Steve Turner, reveals the dentist to be John Riley, the son of a Metropolitan Police officer who, after training as a cosmetic dentist in Chicago, became a dentist to the stars.

Somehow, Ahmet persuaded Dr. Vahdi Sabit, a Turkish dentist who had been a longtime family friend, to mortgage his home and loan Ahmet $10,000 to start his own label in New York. In 1947, Atlantic Records was born.

• Members

I'm not saying that nothing dangerous, impractical or expensive is worthwhile. Plenty of things are.

Nice of you to say so, Lee.

Biker chicks... oh crap, I hadn't thought of that. I've got nothin' they want, no beer gut, no tattoos, no STD's, don

• Moderators

I want a bike. My 2002 Passat needs some front end work and has 100k on it. So after reading this thread, I decided to stop into the local shop and just... look.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom

Who knows... might do it. Might not. I don't know if I care to bare the brunt of all the midlife crisis jokes that would undoubtedly come. But it sure seem like a fun way to get to work and back.

• Members

My son's been playing a video game ('Infamous") that has billboards in the city that look from a distance kind of like the Harley logo, but when you get up close you can see it reads "Mid Life Cycles".

Hey, some guys play in rock bands to try to reclaim their youth. Some ride bikes. Some do both. Being of lesser bravery (and financial means), I just do the first.

• Members

I want a bike. My 2002 Passat needs some front end work and has 100k on it. So after reading this thread, I decided to stop into the local shop and just...
look.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom

Who knows... might do it. Might not. I don't know if I care to bare the brunt of all the midlife crisis jokes that would undoubtedly come. But it sure seem like a fun way to get to work and back.

My cousin has ridden Yamaha's for 20 years and he's not dead yet. Kinda thought he might be by now. He even found his second wife when he was riding his bike to work a lot. He gave her a ride on it, she thought it was fun and then they got married. They used to go places on it... just take off and ride to some distant town for dinner or something. They still would be, but now they're divorced. She wasn't bikerchick though; I believe she was Catholic.

• Members

I drive this :

poser.JPG

It's a 1986 Yamaha Imported form California ,about 1/10th of the price I had to pay for a Harley. I just couldn't afford the HD but I needed to ride so I went for the Yammie.

One day ,,,,,,,,one day I will buy that Harley I always wanted.

Old School shovelhead Bobber with white wall tires ,black/red/white paintjob,..

For now I drive the small Yammie which actually handles better in our small country. The noise is the same.

Loud Pipes Save Lifes

• Members

This Video is NOT SOLD IN ANY STORE!

ORDER NOW FROM GAY-TEL PRODUCTIONS FOR JUST $12.99 (plus shipping & handling)

AVAILABLE NOW ON BETA VIDEO OR 8 TRACK STEREO.

ACT NOW! AND RECEIVE FREE COLLECTOR GIFT WITH PURCHASE!

(HOME VIDEO OF A DRUNKEN DAVID, EATING A WHOPPER WHILE LYING IN A PRONE POSITION ON HIS KITCHEN FLOOR, SHOT BY HIS LOVELY DAUGHTER)

THIS VIDEO SOLD OUT IN GERMANY IN UNDER 15 MINUTES!

*this offer is not available in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam or Utah.

• Members
I drive this :

poser.JPG

It's a 1986 Yamaha Imported form California ,about 1/10th of the price I had to pay for a Harley. I just couldn't afford the HD but I needed to ride so I went for the Yammie.

One day ,,,,,,,,one day I will buy that Harley I always wanted.

Old School shovelhead Bobber with white wall tires ,black/red/white paintjob,..

For now I drive the small Yammie which actually handles better in our small country. The noise is the same.

Loud Pipes Save Lifes

Nice pic Boosh...:thu: you and your Bike look tough and Menacing, but I can tell how your hand rests on the front tire that you truly love that Cycle.

That is a nicely kept and cared for Machine.

• Members

One of my bikes was a 1997 Honda Shadow Classic....Nice looking, but the shocks sucked and it had NO power...It was like 30 HP, and had nothing.

If you go for a Metric, do the Road Star (1600) Yamaha or the 1300/1800 cc Hondas...The 750's are really underpowered.

All that said, a bike like Booshy's is the king el cheapo fun bike...My former roommate rode a 650 Yamaha Maxim to about 80K miles and still sold it for a grand...I think he paid $1200 for it with 35k on it ( California bikes always have lots o' miles...)

• Members

I rode mini bikes when I was a kid. Some of my most fun memories.

A couple of springs ago I got a small 2-stroke SYM scoot. It's under 50cc so no worries about insurance or endorsement on your license. They are suppose to be limited to 30 mph but I unrestricted mine and it'll do just over 40, but honestly, I don't need to go faster than that on two wheels.

I would never go on 55 mph roads and up on two wheels, but around town, my scoot is a blast. Also gets around 85 mpg. I must have clutch and shifter with four wheels, but actually like the automatic-ness of a scoot.

And Lee, it's very quiet. ;)

Beck, if you go for two wheel transportation in any form, just remember to observe and ride like you are invisible.

• Members

I hate Harleys !!

They are rude and loud - most break normal sound level standards but for some reason they are allowed to get away with it.

They disturb every neighbourhood they exists in. They stand for the {censored} YOU! society and they cruise though my quiet country town every weekend with fat/obese 60+'s with their fat wives all dressed in black leather behind them!

I thought your were smarter than that Beck.

:thu: +1

I used to live in a biker town. Every damn Saturday and Sunday 2000 or 3000 rolled through town, waking me up. (patato patato patato patato patato patato patato...) I moved out to the country about 6 months ago, with at least a mile of gravel in each direction from here. Even people I like who ride Harleys won't come to visit. The best thing is that I can go outside and listen to the song of silence any time day or night....

Harleys are just big toys for fat boys.... a penis substitute.... (it's the only way they can get that powerful throbbing between their legs).

I'm not painting all bikers with this brush, only the yuppie lawyers and accountants who think leather and noise automatically make you into a badass.

• Members

OK, I'll talk you out of it.
:D

But anyway... like John said, the noise. It's ridiculous. I don't care if you're out in the middle of nowhere and won't disturb anybody else - if it's supposed to be time spent with nature, I want to hear the sounds of nature - not the roar of a freakin motorcycle engine the whole time.
:wave:

There are many DEAF bikers around and I know a few of them! Not a good choice for a musician.

Dan

• Members

Harleys are just big toys for fat boys.... a penis substitute.... (it's the only way they can get that powerful throbbing between their legs).

I'm not painting all bikers with this brush, only the yuppie lawyers and accountants who think leather and noise automatically make you into a badass.

I agree you become a badass first and then wear what you like... because you can. It might be leather or it might not.

I don't know about the penis substitute idea though. I hear people make that accusation for everything from guns to guitars.

And the rumble if anything is going to stimulate the biker chicks. Hope I don

• Members

I rode my dad's Norton and Triumph when I was a teenager...and really, just the concept of being able to tool across the pavement at upwards of even just 30mph, while being for all intents and purposes, completely unprotected, seemed incredibly stupid.

(that bigass full-face helmet doesn't help at all with brain-jostling blunt-force trauma).

I mean...a 30mph crash in a car is a pretty good jolt.

How about a 60+mph crash?

In a car it might be survivable, on a bike?

Forget it.

I learned my lesson about respecting the motorcycle, as a 9-year old.

I was being a little Evel Knievel on a YZ80 (powerband included - WAY too much bike for a kid), when I got too close to the edge of a hill, and the ground gave way, under me. Nothing broke, but I still bear the scars of that misadventure.

I never took either of my Dad's bikes for anything more than a slow, leisurly ride to the library or to hang at the 7-11, to play some Asteroids and get my Slurpee on.

Some of the clubs I've played, over the years, have a large Harley-riding clientel. Every one of those people have at least two or more "memorials" on their jackets for friends who now ride in Hog Heaven.

{censored} that {censored}...motorcycles scare me...and I am not ashamed to admit that.

• Members

Dad had a Honda Shadow ACE that he sold last year. It ran like a top without any maintenance work every summer. It had decent pickup, even with a couple adults on it. He sold it for about 80% of his initial purchase price (he got a good deal up front). I thought about buying it from him, but I really have no desire to ride on a regular basis in this area.

Archived