Crap! Talk Me Out of It!

Beck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want a bike. My 2002 Passat needs some front end work and has 100k on it. So after reading this thread, I decided to stop into the local shop and just...
look.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom

Who knows... might do it. Might not. I don't know if I care to bare the brunt of all the midlife crisis jokes that would undoubtedly come. But it sure seem like a fun way to get to work and back.

In my opinion (and experience), commuting on a bike is not such a great idea. I've commuted for years in a car, and for a short time years ago, on a bike. The problem with commuting is, it becomes automatic, you really don't pay much attention; or at least I don't. You drive the same roads with the same traffic, etc., to the point that it's done by reflex, while your mind is elsewhere. That's not a good way to ride a bike; you have to be paying VERY close attention, all the time. Not good to ride when you're tired either.

Someone mentioned a 30mph crash. I hit a tree on an enduro trail; probably about 15mph. That doesn't sound like much, eh. Well, go outside and run as fast as you can into a telephone pole without slowing down. I had on full protective equipment, helmet, shoulder/chest protector, knee/shin guards, stainless plate on the boots, etc. Used it all. And it hurt beyond belief. I rode in circles for half an hour I was so stunned. Don't think hitting a car at 35mph would be any sort of picnic.

As to going deaf, I noticed my ears would ring like crazy after a long ride; and I have quiet pipes. The wind noise, even inside a hi-bucks full face helmet, is VERY loud. I started wearing earplugs; no more ringing and less fatigue. But I think I did more hearing damage than all my loud bands combined.

not discouraging anyone from riding, but it ain't the same as driving a car by a long shot.

Archived