THE big decision

Kendrix

• Members

I havent been around here very much lately.

My job at megacorp has pretty much consumed me.... As has THE Decision.

Ive been preparing for over a year knowing it was just a matter of time.

Megacorp just offered "the package" and I'm taking it.

Almost one full years salary, subsidized health care till I get really old and hit medicare, a retirement lump sum that benefits from this years historically low inerest rates and that didnt get destroyed by the crash of 08/09. Kids have been off the payroll for over two years.

Wife and I are both in need of a change of scenery.

Sooo....After March 31 Im outta here and i hope to put some music back into my routine.

I can't really afford to totaly retire (at least not safely). However, some really "low key income" for a few years or so will now get me through to that end state. Maybe I'll join a wedding band.:facepalm:

Man I wish the studio biz wasn't imploding. Know anyone that wants a phyisicist with an MBA as a second engineer???

Ita a blue ocean in front of us. We will be leaving taxland in NYS.

However, desitnation is unknown - like a rolling stone.

I can feel my blood pressure decreasing already.

Wish me luck.

It feels like I'm jumpin out of a plane (Yeah ive done that several times)

Hopefully the chute will open.

I expect my post count will start increasing soon.

Cheers to my SSS buddies,

Ken

• Members

Well ,...More time for you and the family I guess!! That's great!

Maybe take them over to Amsterdam and we could throw a party...

I haven't got a paid job for ya but if you have a recording set-up at home,.... I do need some bars played with a sax in a song I'm working on,.....

• Members

Well ,...More time for you and the family I guess!! That's great!

Maybe take them over to Amsterdam and we could throw a party...

I haven't got a paid job for ya but if you have a recording set-up at home,.... I do need some bars played with a sax in a song I'm working on,.....

Amsterdam IS a party!

Id love to.

• Members

Hey Ken,

I wish you the best of everything. I have to tell you, about three years ago I was let go too but w/o "the package". Very scary time in my life... I was 33, mortgage with two kids... Honestly, it was some of the hardest times in my life on many levels it literally broke me so I had to put it all back together and re-build my life in all aspects. Strangely enough, it was all a blessing. Things started to turn around and I gained perspective, compassion and let go of a lot of judgement and anger.

What I`m getting at is that this is just the beginning of another chapter in your life which you already know but even with the finances, we seem to eventually end up where we need to be and as long as we are conscious of these things, they eventually get taken care of.

If music is calling, then answer the call and do it. The wedding band thing may not be that bad.

Be open to everything.

Peace.

• Members

I want a new chapter in my life...i am quite envious of you. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

I'm 30, have no responsibilities but have been chasing the 'rock star dream' for over 10 years with various levels of success, none too significant. I am starting to realise it has totally hampered my 'life'. I have sacrificed SO much: relationships, income, independence, friendships to make this happen and with each sacrifice it gets even harder to step out of it. I am now in the situation that i have a new band, just been offered a fantastic management contract with a great company currently proving itself in the modern musical climate and whilst half of me feels happy the other feels like "Here we go again...another chance too good to pass up but potentially fruitless." I feel life passing me by and totally between a rock and a hard place.

I sometimes feel like growing up i believed the hype too much. Rock stars sold a dream as much as music...and as a kid i totally believed it and through my 20's did too really. I worked REALLY hard to make things happen and as i said saw some rewards. However I am starting to realise the 'dream' is a myth. It never really occurs....i cant put my finger on it, but the reality is that to sell my product, to essentially sell myself/my band i need to market it. To market it often means creating a myth, an image, a dream for people buy into. So in effect i'd be perpetuating the myth i was sold...without anyone ever reaching it!!

Right i'm off to the New Forest for a walk and maybe some fishing.

Bye.

• Members

Around here the "wedding band" thing is a relic of the past and actually the studio business appears to be stable to booming, provided you have a good space, the equipment and the know how to get people recorded.

This area is awash with bands/musicians but surprisingly few have any technical know how even considering the amazing amount of quality, low cost home recording options available.

If I had a better space (hopefully within the next couple years) I'd be in business.

• Members

I want a new chapter in my life...i am quite envious of you. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

I'm 30, have no responsibilities but have been chasing the 'rock star dream' for over 10 years with various levels of success, none too significant. I am starting to realise it has totally hampered my 'life'. I have sacrificed SO much: relationships, income, independence, friendships to make this happen and with each sacrifice it gets even harder to step out of it. I am now in the situation that i have a new band, just been offered a fantastic management contract with a great company currently proving itself in the modern musical climate and whilst half of me feels happy the other feels like "Here we go again...another chance too good to pass up but potentially fruitless." I feel life passing me by and totally between a rock and a hard place.

I sometimes feel like growing up i believed the hype too much. Rock stars sold a dream as much as music...and as a kid i totally believed it and through my 20's did too really. I worked REALLY hard to make things happen and as i said saw some rewards. However I am starting to realise the 'dream' is a myth. It never really occurs....i cant put my finger on it, but the reality is that to sell my product, to essentially sell myself/my band i need to market it. To market it often means creating a myth, an image, a dream for people buy into. So in effect i'd be perpetuating the myth i was sold...without anyone ever reaching it!!

Bye.

I think all of us eventually reach a point in our lives when we feel like this.

The more I think about it, everyone is selling someone a dream; whether it be a house or a car or the "rock and roll lifestyle".

A friend of mine shared something with me a while ago that may help you out... he said that in your 20s, you feel invincible, that you can do anything.

In your 30s, you start to question and realize, not everything is going to work out as planned. So lots of time is spent adjusting to the new life: marriage, kids, mortgage, career change, etc...

In your 40s you come face to face with mortality. You realize you`re half way there and you ask, "Is this it?" This is often the time that spouses start to get the wandering eye and lots of divorces happen here. You also deal with the illness and deaths of parents and your kids are becoming teenagers... (so the 30s may be a time of question but the 40s are really a trying time deal with your own mortality, your parents and your teenagers pushing you. Fun fun... I`m not there yet but knowing some of this gives me some "comfort")

He said in your 50s (which he is), your kids are starting to grow into adults, your career is usually steady and your marriage, whether its your first one or second one, is in a good place because you most likely got through all the {censored} in your 40s... Most people also have decent health, have some money saved up and life is pretty good.

He didn`t get into the 60s and beyond, he is still in his 50s so he can only go on what he has learned from himself. I thought it was pretty insightful and it has helped me.

So, long story short, if you feel you bought into the rock and roll dream and have nothing to show for it except a decade lost, consider yourself lucky. You figured out there is more to life and you still have your youth to take advantage of some of that wisdom you earned.

Be open to life, it has a lot to offer.

• Members

The more I think about it, everyone is selling someone a dream; whether it be a house or a car or the "rock and roll lifestyle".

A friend of mine shared something with me a while ago that may help you out... he said that in your 20s, you feel invincible, that you can do anything.

In your 30s, you start to question and realize, not everything is going to work out as planned. So lots of time is spent adjusting to the new life: marriage, kids, mortgage, career change, etc...

In your 40s you come face to face with mortality. You realize you`re half way there and you ask, "Is this it?" This is often the time that spouses start to get the wandering eye and lots of divorces happen here. You also deal with the illness and deaths of parents and your kids are becoming teenagers... (so the 30s may be a time of question but the 40s are really a trying time deal with your own mortality, your parents and your teenagers pushing you. Fun fun... I`m not there yet but knowing some of this gives me some "comfort")

He said in your 50s (which he is), your kids are starting to grow into adults, your career is usually steady and your marriage, whether its your first one or second one, is in a good place because you most likely got through all the {censored} in your 40s... Most people also have decent health, have some money saved up and life is pretty good.

He didn`t get into the 60s and beyond, he is still in his 50s so he can only go on what he has learned from himself. I thought it was pretty insightful and it has helped me.

So, long story short, if you feel you bought into the rock and roll dream and have nothing to show for it except a decade lost, consider yourself lucky. You figured out there is more to life and you still have your youth to take advantage of some of that wisdom you earned.

Thats a very positive outlook and i appreciate the time taken to respond. I went for my walk in the forest and think i have made the decision to see this band, this line up through to its natural conclusion. If things work out and are fun for a while then i'll enjoy it...if in 9 months or so nothing has happened we're all at the stage we'd walk away anyway. The third option is it opens doors enough that i can see the light anyway. But i'm thinking its most likely we'll do a couple of releases, some tours, have some fun and then call it a day. And i'm ok with that...i just need to make sure during this time i'm preparing for what comes next. I have no mortgage/wife/kids so i'm a free agent. I think it' be time to travel, see some different things and find out what i want from life other than a rocking gig.

• Members

Bye.

Welcome in the club. :wave:

I'm 32 and I realized it was all bull{censored} about 6 years ago... Found a nice girl and didn't sacrifice as much as you it seems. I still have a band but I'm too intelligent to believe I will be a rockstar.

REally, you have to be either dumb or naive to believe that. When I was young I had that excuse, not so much now. :lol:

You'll be fine man. Just enjoy the ride and forget about the hype... Its all fake.

• Members

You're welcome here in the DC area. Maybe it's time for another East Coast Jam. The weather is getting nicer. Give a shout if you come down this way and all the best Ken!

• Members

Great Post Ernest. I agree.

There is no such thing as a lost decade.

Its allowing you to move to the next place you need to be.

Everything, I mean everything, has a ying and a yang to it.

You just neeed to be able to see them both.

I could ruminate over how I spent my life in industry raher than making music. If I had just become a studio assisitant in 1970 God knows where I might have ended up in the biz...

However, now (at the back end of life) I will get some time to indulge as best i can. In the meantime i was able to accumulate some decent gear. Work at megacorp wasnt all bad. Some of it was amazing.

Ying and yang. Its all good.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and wisdom.

• Members

Great thread - I've enjoyed the diversity of replies and life-states.

At 45 I'm probably the happiest I've been. I make music on the side, but the side seems to be expanding... and the day job is still steady (even though it's in journalism, a very precarious field these days).

Best of luck in your transition Ken. You sound like you've got a great attitude. I hope you have some serious FUN.

Christopher

• Members

Congrats! Best of luck with your new life journey. When looking for a new home give Chattanooga,Tn a look. Your dollars can go a long way and the weather is fair all year. Great location to more than half of the country in a 6 hour drive. Mountains,rivers,lakes and some of the best food in the world.

Oh yea there is some good music as well.

• Members

Good luck with this whole process! I will be interested in the relocation metrics. I think about a point system with positive scores for research universities and good colleges and negative scores for prisons and nuclear waste depots. I'm still working on this. :)

• Members

Congrats. Although the next stage is scary, it is very rewarding. I just went part time at my job in prep for full retirement in 3 years. Had to swallow really hard when I saw my first "new sized" pay check but I got over it very quickly. No amount of money is worth the time you give up for it once the basics are covered. Take care

• Members

Look into Mcihigan. Plenty to do, good COL and housing is dirt cheap in really nice areas !!!! If you interested send me a PM with your desired living accomodations and I can forward you as many listings as you like.

Michigan is a bargin plain and simple.

Plus there might be work with a man of your talents.

I havent been around here very much lately.

My job at megacorp has pretty much consumed me.... As has THE Decision.

Ive been preparing for over a year knowing it was just a matter of time.

Megacorp just offered "the package" and I'm taking it.

Almost one full years salary, subsidized health care till I get really old and hit medicare, a retirement lump sum that benefits from this years historically low inerest rates and that didnt get destroyed by the crash of 08/09. Kids have been off the payroll for over two years.

Wife and I are both in need of a change of scenery.

Sooo....After March 31 Im outta here and i hope to put some music back into my routine.

I can't really afford to totaly retire (at least not safely). However, some really "low key income" for a few years or so will now get me through to that end state. Maybe I'll join a wedding band.
:facepalm:

Man I wish the studio biz wasn't imploding. Know anyone that wants a phyisicist with an MBA as a second engineer???

Ita a blue ocean in front of us. We will be leaving taxland in NYS.

However, desitnation is unknown - like a rolling stone.

I can feel my blood pressure decreasing already.

Wish me luck.

It feels like I'm jumpin out of a plane (Yeah ive done that several times)

Hopefully the chute will open.

I expect my post count will start increasing soon.

Cheers to my SSS buddies,

Ken

• Members

It's really difficult to move away from kids and long-term friends. We moved with my oldest daughter to the Memphis area from Akron Ohio about 5 years ago. I have 2 sons who live up near Lake Erie. My wife really misses seeing them, and also all her friends from up north. At our age, if you move someplace else it will be hard to almost impossible to make friends in the same way that you have where you are now. And if you are moving away from the kids (and grandkids) it will be difficult to say the least.

On the other hand - the almost daily sunshine and moderate weather has a lot going for it. And the great music scene is another plus... So what'cha gonna do?

Archived