Use wood glue to clean and restore old LPs

Phait

• Members

Fascinating! I tried it with an old Beatles album I had that was filthy, and it seemed to clean it right up! :thu: :thu: :thu:

Then I got to looking at the disk of dried glue, and could see that the record grooves (er, "groove") appeared just like the album, and so :idea: I placed it on my turntable to see if I could play it.

And guess what! It kinda works, I'm listening to it right now. The music is playing backwards, of course, and the noise is still there since the dirt is now in the glue, but... wait... wha??...

OMFG, Paul is DEAD!!!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

Ok, I just finished the process on my 1964 Dave Clark Five LP...

If it works, I am indebted to you, and many beers will be bestowed upon you in tribute and gratitude..

If not, I will hunt you down... and you will die the death of 'A thousand Cuts':lol:

Report back with the verdict. If it works I'll have to give it a try. I'll make a before and after recording (if I get time).

• Members

'Cause you just might need 'em someday.... right?

;)

Many of those have been converted to digital on my computer and IPod. Many others will be converted over time when I get the time. Most have only been played a few times. Back in the "old days" when I was buying records I would record them to my reel to reel on first play and put them away. The next time I pulled most of them out was to convert to digital. At least this way I don't have to purchase a bunch of CD's to enjoy my old collection. Besides, I rather enjoy the conversion process. Call it a silly hobby I guess. ;)

• Members

People still keep vinyl records lying around?
:confused:

I had about 1,500 at some point and that was a modest amount in my circle of friends... my friend Will has about 12,000 sitting in his parents' basement.

People keep them for various reasons: the cool factor, nostalgia, collection value, conversation pieces, etc. I have one that plays from the inside out (from label to edge) and a few that make spectacular eye candy in black light.

My parents found a few in a house they bought while I was away in the States. When I came to visit one summer, mom told me that she had thrown them out.."they were so old, I don't think they were worth anything".

Among them were a of couple Beatles albums. :facepalm::eek::cry::cry::mad:

V.

• Members

I just picked up another 2,000+ at a local store (made them a cash offer for all and they took it). I scored over 3500+ last year, so plus my personal collection, Im around 7,000. Ive been slowly cleaning them. Will have to read this glue thing.

If you decide to go this route, let me know; I wanna buy stock in Titebond. ;)

• Members

I think 50/50 rubbing alcohol + distilled water is the ideal cleaning solution.

I have about 2000 records at home + 3000 more up North in CT.

I love vinyl, I'm on a computer all day, so going out and playing vinyl is a nice escape for me.

• Members

Small thing though, A record is only good for about 70 - 100 plas before you start to lose top end definition. The smaller variations in the groove from the higher frequencies get eroded by the stylus. It's diamond and vinyl. The LP is going to give way a lot sooner.

Archived