Top 100 Guitar player list.. Rolling Stone.... BWAHAHAHAH

Reignman

• Members

I don't put much value in lists like this. It's more of a popularity contest than a competition based in skill or musicality.

Yep also compiled by self proclaimed Hipsters,Scenesters and other Asshats.

Some of those folks are deservedly on the list while quite a few others have No business being on there at all.

Btw RS has been a absolute rubish mag for 20 years now and this latest list just cements their stupidity.

They should truly do a top 200 so they can add all their off the wall choices as well as have the folks that most of us know belong there.

What Crap.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This list is always pure horse {censored}. Just looking at some of these names is ridiculous. Ike Turner? Give me a break. He was a great promoter and wife beater but not a king of guitar. Now someone like Ernie Isley should be on there if they want to give a black man his due. He was a pioneer in his day when black guitar players couldn't get any notoriety.

And for the record: #1 always goes to Jeff Beck.

• Members

Yes, very strange. Jazz is apparently unknown to Rolling Stone, as is classical. And even within the general rock genre, a list of the to 100 without Steve Morse is kind of like a baseball hall of fame without Pete Rose.

Even stretching things just a little, maybe someone at Rolling Stone should listen not only to Chet Atkins, but to Leo Kottke or Scott Henderson or Eric Johnson.

• Members
Im sure this has been covered hundreds of times.. but looking back on this list... Made me cry in laughter...

Number 70, Number 85?.... Where's
George Lynch
or
Warren Demartini
? ... How about
John Sykes
?....

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

All of those guys suck ass. I hate to break it to you.

• Members
Yep also compiled by self proclaimed Hipsters,Scenesters and other Asshats.

Some of those folks are deservedly on the list while quite a few others have No business being on there at all.

Btw RS has been a absolute rubish mag for 20 years now and this latest list just cements their stupidity.

They should truly do a top 200 so they can add all their off the wall choices as well as have the folks that most of us know belong there.

What Crap.

Just 20 years now? A mag that was thought to be so cutting edge politically yet they never gave Zappa the time of day but would eat up anything that John Lennon said? Me thinks they sucked from day 1 me does. And they did.

• Members

1 Jimi Hendrix

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

4 Eric Clapton

8 Ry Cooder

14 Jeff Beck

15 Carlos Santana

27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

28 Stephen Stills

31 Dick Dale

36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's

39 Brian May of Qeen

42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson

45 Frank Zappa

46 Les Paul

49 John McLaughlin

55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple

57 Roy Buchanan

58 Dickey Betts

69 Steve Howe of Yes

70 Eddie Van Halen

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

81 Derek Trucks

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

85 Randy Rhoads

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

Now we can start over...

• Members

I used to go to a music store (a Musicland, does anybody remember them? Or do they still exist, I haven't been to a music store in decades), and this really cool manager there (who could pick out records I might like and was usually right) said that Rolling Stone didn't know anything about real Rock 'n Roll. The magazine to get (according to him, at the time. Early 1980s) was Creem. They were really good as far as good rock reporting went.

I used to get angry at RS, for having people like the Jonas Brothers, Justin Timberlake, and people from American Idol on their covers, and always swore I wouldn't renew my subscription when the time came up. But I always do.:facepalm:

They do have some awesome pictures of pop stars sometimes, tho (like my avy, which I scanned from an RS), and some interesting articles.

I see them as some kind of social-political-gossip rag, and not really too concerned with rock 'n roll.

Archived