"They just aren't the same band without _______."

Mister Zero

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Back to the original spirit of the thread, what about Yes without Howe?

Definitely different with Rabin - some say better, many say worse
;)

Yeah, I definitely didn't care for the Rabin-era stuff, but mostly because of the horrid 80's production of those albums. Steve, Jon, and Chris are Yes, but they went severely downhill for me after Bruford left. Also, Steve is probably my favorite guitarist of all time.

• Members

the gin blossoms were never the same after doug hopkins got booted. some stuff is good, but not nearly the same.

This. Doug had a beautiful soul, just a defective brain. "Hey Jealousy" still tears me up.

• Members

I actually disagree with a few of these.

Metallica still did some great things after Cliff Burton died.

Fleetwood Mac was a very different band after Peter Green, but I don't know if it was a worse one, I liked both the Bob Welch era and the '70s pop band.

Genesis after Gabriel was still brilliant, if not for long. A Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, and the tours of that era were as good as anything they ever did.

I guess the Allman Brothers were never as good without Duane, but I really admire the way they handled it, replacing him with keyboardist Chuck Leavell rather than a Duane clone guitarist and reinventing themselves a bit, and they were still a great live band for years afterward.

Gin Blossoms without Doug Hopkins - I agree with this one, but I think Doug caused the problem himself.

• Members

This. Doug had a beautiful soul, just a defective brain. "Hey Jealousy" still tears me up.

All his songs made that band famous. Without him they would have never made it past a bar band and that's the truth. I think the story of Doug Hopkins rivals some Shakespearean tragedies...

• Members

Gin Blossoms without Doug Hopkins - I agree with this one, but I think Doug caused the problem himself.

Being an alcoholic didn't stop him from writing all the songs and recording all the guitar parts on their first record, ability to stand notwithstanding (chuckle).

• Members

Being an alcoholic didn't stop him from writing all the songs and recording all the guitar parts on their first record, ability to stand notwithstanding (chuckle).

Agreed, I'm a fan, I play his songs myself, but I would rather have had decades more. My reaction to him, and Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain, etc. is anger at their stupidity, not pity, it's not like they died in a plane crash.

Archived