Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott
The Doors without Jim Morrison
Megadeth without Marty Friedman and Nick Menza
Skid Row without Sebastian Bach

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you'd seen them on the Risk tour, you wouldn't say that. He was already in Japan in his head. He didn't matter much anymore anyway. In Megadeth, I mean.

Yeah but when I think of Marty I think of his best days in Deth.He left the band soon after Risk tour started.

• Members

Yes............

The final nail in the coffin came when Steve Hackett left Genesis.

and.. And Then There Were Three

Gen-ATTWT.jpg

...and boy o boy did things *REALLY* start sucking with that band from then on.

• Members
Now that was an abomination!
:facepalm:

They would have been so much better with the dude from The Darkness...

BWAAHAAHAA! I was thinking this exact same thing just a few days ago.

Justin Hawkins, the singer guitarist from the sadly-defunct band The Darkness, would be perfect. However, there could be a slight bit of friction between him and Brian May if Hawkins insisted on playing guitar instead of just singing. Nonetheless, Hawkins has all the talents to do the job of a Freddie Mercury replacement -- the vocal abilities and the stage swagger. Justin Hawkins would be a much better replacement than Paul Rodgers.

• Members

The New Yardbirds just weren't the same without Keith Relf, Jeff Beck, Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty. They became... kinda... Jimmy Page and his mates.

And the Fairport Convention also weren't the same without Ashely Hutchings, Richard Thompson, Martin Lamble, Judy Dyble, Iain Matthews, or Sandy Denny.

Mind you, then again, the Arcade Fire....

... :bor::bor::bor:

• Members

Asia isn't the same without the 20-some-odd members that have come and gone since the start of the band in 1981, except the one roadie they have that does the backstage refreshments.

:lol:

• Members
Asia isn't the same without the 20-some-odd members that have come and gone since the start of the band in 1981, except the one roadie they have that does the backstage refreshments.
:lol:

i dunno...vinnie burns toured with them and actually raised the bar i think.

• Members

Justin Hawkins, the singer guitarist from the sadly-defunct band The Darkness, would be perfect. However, there could be a slight bit of friction between him and Brian May if Hawkins insisted on playing guitar instead of just singing. Nonetheless, Hawkins has all the talents to do the job of a Freddie Mercury replacement -- the vocal abilities and the stage swagger. Justin Hawkins would be a much better replacement than Paul Rodgers.

Well, better but I don't think his style/personality fits. I thought George Michael did a phenominal job at the tribute concert and while his age would bother me, Adam Lambert probably wouldn't be a bad fit (and neither is being based on sexual preference).

• Members

gotta love the darkness....

[YOUTUBE]NaaCOHmAbR0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

gotta love the darkness....

They kinda tapered off with that second (and final) album. "One Way Ticket To Hell And Back" was not a bad album, just not quite as solid as their first album "Permission To Land" was.

Without trying to turn this thread into a "The Darkness Was Great" thread, below is some stuff from their first album and live stuff that shows that Justin Hawkins could be an excellent Freddie Mercury replacement.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

They're famous in garages and bedrooms!

Guitar demo of The Darkness with Vox Valvetronix:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

They're famous even in Asia!

Piano demo of tune from The Darkness:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

A dancing "Freddie-ish" madman Justin Hawkins on keyboard (!)...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

And finally, here are a few live nuggets that will be permanently burnt into yer neurons after seeing them...

Archived