"They just aren't the same band without _______."

Mister Zero

• Members

I hear this a lot when a the guitarist leaves a band and they soldier on with a replacement. Sometimes it comes down to the new guy having a different style, or look.

Couple examples: Deep Purple (then: Blackmore, now: Steve Morse) and UFO (then: Michael Schenker, now: Vinnie Moore). When Trevor Rabin was in Yes, you heard this a lot as well.

I happen to like all three bands listed above, even with the new guys. In all three of these cases, the new guy was a strong songwriter who took the band in a bit of a different direction. Maybe that is why there is the resistance-- the old fan base simply resisting change, and ascribing the change entirely to the new guy.

So who are some bands who switched guitarists that you really liked-- or couldn't stand?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what has happened in my band, a lot of their following wasn't too happy about it, but since I replaced both the rhythm and lead players and the band is now a 3pc it's been suprising.

The other guys have seen us live and comparing live recordings and even the studio tracks that I redid for the album it's apparent that my experience has given me the edge, I had been playing guitar longer than either of the other two had been alive.

Other bands like that were Aerosmith and Kiss, without Ace a lot of people hate Kiss, but I find that Bruce Kulick and even Tommy Thayer flat out smoke Ace as a player (Ace was my biggest influence in the 70's).

• Members

Smashing pumpkins aren't the same without......... jimmy james and darcy

also to me oasis were the never the same once they booted out their first drummer tony mccarolll he wasnt very technically proficient but he had a very distinctive primitive punk sound

scorpions also werent the same to me after uli jon roth left

• Members

Aerosmith wasn't the same without Joe and Brad...and haven't been the same since...

Ted Nugent's never been the same without derek St Holmes...

Blackfoot isn't even CLOSE without Ricky Medlocke...

Lynyrd Skynyrd...well, yeah...

etc...etc...etc...

• Members

Queen...without Freddie Mercury (nor could they ever be) but then thats why they called themselves "Queen & Paul Rogers"...still many moaned that they even dare to use the name.

I didn't see the problem myself with them calling themselves Queen & Paul Rodgers. They didn't falsely advertise anything, and the three surviving members are the musical heart of the band so they damn well have the right to call themselves Queen. Those who moan are those dreaded purists that have nothing better to do than bitch about nothing much.

• Members

White Snake ain't squat without JOHN SYKES......PERIOD!!!
:cop:

Sykes was brought in the band during the recording of Slide It In. He overdubbed guitars on the American mix of that album, but isn't on the European version. He was fired during the recording of the 1987 album. He actually finished his overdubs after he'd been sacked.

While he is my fav WS guitarist, the band existed for a good while before and over 2 decades after Sykes' brief tenure in the 'Snake.

Archived