The New iMacs Are Here

• Members

The specs and prices on the new MacPros have convinced me to pursue alternatives for the new studio I'm building. I don't know who Apple is designing their pro line for but it's not me. They're asking $5k for a machine that would cost half that much if you built it yourself.

• Members

The specs and prices on the new MacPros have convinced me to pursue alternatives for the new studio I'm building. I don't know who Apple is designing their pro line for but it's not me. They're asking $5k for a machine that would cost half that much if you built it yourself.

I will not debate the fact that Apple desktops are overpriced. But I beg to differ with the "half as much" aspect. When I have priced out building a similar machine myself, I have come up with pricing that is only about 15 to 30% less depending on the components.

Part of the reason for the obscene prices on Apple desktops is their insistence on using Xeon processors instead of the cheaper Core i7. The reason for this is simple though. Xeons can be configured in a dual CPU mode, but Core i7 processors can't. Try building a dual CPU Xeon workstation, and you will find that the suppliers of the components are few and the prices are quite high, though still less than Apple.

Still, now that they've announced a build-to-order option of a 6-core Mac Pro, I'll wait and see the price on that. I expect it to be high, but nowhere near the $5k mark. 6 cores is plenty for me and I suspect for most power users it is plenty also. However, if your main line of work involves gigantic sample libraries and you're trying to compose for 100+ virtual orchestral instruments at the same time, then you *might* have a case for the 12-core Mac Pro with SS drives. But even then, I'd have to see how well the DAW is actually able to distribute all that onto the 12 cores to see if there's a real-world benefit.

For me, I'd rather have a single 6-core CPU running at a higher clock rate.

• Members

When I have priced out building a similar machine myself, I have come up with pricing that is only about 15 to 30% less depending on the components.

Part of the reason for the obscene prices on Apple desktops is their insistence on using Xeon processors instead of the cheaper Core i7.

I'd be inclined to go with Philter on this one. I haven't looked into the latest ones but I did the sums on the last generation. The AU$4000 Mac Pro had a bit under AU$1500 worth of hardware in it (at the prices of the time)... that's a lot of money for an OS.

• Members

I think the 27" iMac starting price seems good. I mean, that's a gorgeous 27" screen which in itself is rather expensive

We have some of the 27" iMacs at my work and the screen is impressive... which is another down-side for me - seems a waste to throw away such a pleasant display because the cpu/ram/connectivity options get out-of-date...

If you could use the screen as a stand-alone display (can you?), then that would be different.

• Members

I bought one yesterday..27" quadcore 2.93ghz I7 with 8 gigs of ram. That should update my Audio/video rig nicely. Should see a substantial improvement over my 2.33 core 2 duo MBP..:) Should be here the beginning of next week.

I also like that I can use it as an external monitor when I'm working with my MPB! Bonus! :thu:

• Members

If you could use the screen as a stand-alone display (can you?), then that would be different.

The answer is YES you CAN use the monitor alone as an external for another machine! Hence these monitors will have to blow before we get rid of these new imacs. :thu:

• Members

I bought one yesterday..27" quadcore 2.93ghz I7 with 8 gigs of ram. That should update my Audio/video rig nicely. Should see a substantial improvement over my 2.33 core 2 duo MBP..
:)
Should be here the beginning of next week.

I also like that I can use it as an external monitor when I'm working with my MPB! Bonus!
:thu:

That's excellent, now can the the iMac also work with a second monitor for a dual display setup?

• Members

The answer is YES you CAN use the monitor alone as an external for another machine! Hence these monitors will have to blow before we get rid of these new imacs.
:thu:

However, that machine has to have the same output as the iMac otherwise you will have to spend quite a lot on a converter. This from a salesman at a local Mac store. I wanted to use the iMac's screen as a monitor for my PC and that was apparently difficult.

Also know that only the 27" iMac can work as an external monitor. The 21" doesn't accept input at the port even though the look exactly the same.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

However, that machine has to have the same output as the iMac otherwise you will have to spend quite a lot on a converter. This from a salesman at a local Mac store. I wanted to use the iMac's screen as a monitor for my PC and that was apparently difficult.

Also know that only the 27" iMac can work as an external monitor. The 21" doesn't accept input at the port even though the look exactly the same.

Cheers,

Mats N

if you have a DVI or mini DVI out from your computer it will go back into the imac perfectly. With my macbook pro, I just go out DVI into a DVI to mini DVI converter which cost me $15..No prob.

Didn't know the 21 couldn't work as an external monitor. I got the 27 though and it can hook right up to my macbook pro perfectly :)

• Members

if you have a DVI or mini DVI out from your computer it will go back into the imac perfectly. With my macbook pro, I just go out DVI into a DVI to mini DVI converter which cost me $15..No prob.

Didn't know the 21 couldn't work as an external monitor. I got the 27 though and it can hook right up to my macbook pro perfectly

That's very good to know. $15 is reasonable. :)

So do you think I can use the VGA or DVI output from my PC into a 27" iMac?

Cheers,

Mats N

That's very good to know. $15 is reasonable.
So do you think I can use the VGA or DVI output from my PC into a 27" iMac?

Cheers,

Mats N

No, you can not, as I explained above. At least, not at $15.

You can use it as an external monitor with an inexpensive cable if you have another device with a Mini Displayport video output, such another new iMac or a new MBpro.

Otherwise, you need that other expensive adaptor which may as well be worth: that 27" LED display is impressive. I'd really love to watch movies on it.

And you can use an iMac with an external monitor too, via iMac's Mini DisplayPort output via DVI, VGA or one of those new Apple Cinema Displays with dual-link DVI, by buying adapters.

• Members

That is not true for these new 27" iMacs.

The new iMacs have not mini DVI. The have a "DisplayPort" which is not a common DVI.

So, You need a converter from DVI to Mini DisplayPort, such like this one from
Gefen
:

ext-dvi-2-mdp.jpg

Price: $149.00

There is also another model to convert HDMI to Mini DisplayPort.

You can use it as an external monitor with an
inexpensive
cable if you have another device with a Mini Displayport video output, such another new iMac or a new MBpro.

Otherwise, you need that other expensive adaptor which may as well be worth: that 27" LED display is impressive. I'd really love to watch movies on it.

And you can use an iMac with an external monitor too, via iMac's Mini DisplayPort output via DVI, VGA or one of those new Apple Cinema Displays with dual-link DVI, by buying adapters.

So my dealer was right. Well, that terminates my plans for a new iMac. Thanks for the info Gus!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Sorry about that, yea it's mini display port but it's still only $29 from apple,

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0NjA

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0ODY

You would only need that expensive converter if you were trying to use HDMI Blue Ray resolution into it or say a cinema display for the highest resolution etc..For our purposes those apple adapters and a DVI to DVI cable will work fine.

That is not true for these new 27" iMacs.

The new iMacs have not mini DVI. The have a "DisplayPort" which is not a common DVI.

So, You need a converter from DVI to Mini DisplayPort, such like this one from
Gefen
:

ext-dvi-2-mdp.jpg

Price: $149.00

There is also another model to convert HDMI to Mini DisplayPort.

You can use it as an external monitor with an
inexpensive
cable if you have another device with a Mini Displayport video output, such another new iMac or a new MBpro.

Sorry about that, yea it's mini display port but it's still only $29 from apple,

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0NjA

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0ODY

You would only need that expensive converter if you were trying to use HDMI Blue Ray resolution into it or say a cinema display for the highest resolution etc..For our purposes those apple adapters and a DVI to DVI cable will work fine.

That is not correct.

What you are showing is a Displayport-TO-DVI / VGA (the opposite), like in using an external VGA / DVI monitor together with your 27" iMac for a dual-screen setup.

The original question was if the 27" iMac can be used as if it was an external monitor: YES, but you need to convert whatever incoming signal into (mini) DisplayPort; and that adapter costs $150; unless, of course, you have another iMac or MacBook / MacBook Pro with an integrated (mini) DisplayPort, where the cable costs mere $20 USD.

Archived