Recommend a good modeling pedal?

brandass

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hated everything Digitech ever produced, but they turned a corner in the last few years. There is a HUGE difference between the old Digitech RP50 sound and the current line of RP gear. Their marketing department should be shot for continuing to use the letters RP! Features, and TONE, for dollar, the new RP line is hard to beat. Give the new stuff a listen, it WILL surprise you.

If you can afford Fractal Audio, the Axe-FX Ultra is in a league of it's own! I do want one myself, but the $2000 plus controller cost is too steep for my current budget.

• Members

I only have experience with a Digitech RP350 .... after owning it for quite some time, I have to say it's darned decent, if you take the time to make your own patches .... the factory presets are pretty over the top, for the most part (there's a few that sound nice), and there is a learning curve - but it has the benefit of usb cabling to your comp and adjusting from there instead of the tiny buttons and all on the unit. Don't think I'd depend on it if I was gigging regularly, but for home use and playing out here and there, it ain't bad.,,,,if you make your own patches

• Members

I will agree that the Digitech RP250/350/255/355 etc are a TREMENDOUS step from what Digitech used to offer in the under $300 range, but in my opinion, they just aren't on par with the Tonelab stuff for the 'slightly dirty to moderate gain' territory. This is based on owning an RP250 for two years and having quite a bit of play time in on the RP500.

• Members

Thanks for the additional info and advice!

Some points of clarification:

The KC150 has no FX loop, so I need to feed it from the front.

Amp has 4 channels. We use the first for mics (via small mixer), second for keyboard, and the other two for guitars, currently both clean. Idea here is to keep one guitar clean but give the other some mild to moderate dirt (no high-gain madness here). Don't want to mod the amp itself (eg, speaker swap), it's perfect for what we run in the other 3 channels.

Don't need multiFX; if they come along for the ride, fine, but the primary aim here is dirt.

I don't have a ton of cash for this. :cry: Hoping to spend $200 or less, but would shell out more for a big step up. Looks like the good modeling software is out of reach.

Don't mind tweaking a reasonably user-friendly unit. I unloaded the GT3 because clicking through endless lists of pre-sets and libraries of patches ate more of my time than actual playing. Don't want to re-visit that. But intuitive, preferably knob- and switch-based tweaking is all good. Tweaking via computer would be fine, as long as the unit is Mac-compatible.

Thanks again for all your responses! :wave:

• Members

The low-mid end RP stuff is decent if having that PERFECT sound isn't too important to you but the mid-hi gain sounds usually sound very processed and are very tricky to get them to sound decent. Most of the problem is the outdated processor digitech uses which creates that really irritating fizzy high end. The delays and reverbs are really good though, you get a whammy pedal, noise gate, usb recording, tuner, volume pedal, phaser/flanger/chorus and so on... really, the RP series is good bang for the buck, but if you want REALLY NICE sounds (at least for a modeller), you should just go for the higher end RP products like the RP1000.

• Members

On the cheap end I don't know why everybody forgets the Peavey Vypyr. The Vypyr tube series easily sounds better than Line 6's stuff.

On the other side of the cost spectrum it's hard to beat an Axe Fx ultra.

• Members

Apart from the US Steel, all of the Character series pedals can go from clean to gritty to dirty, so you'd just have to pick your flavor. It's not just one tone either, you can have a vintage pushed tone or a modern rolled back tone. Same amount of dirt, different voicing. They're meant to be plugged into something like your amp as well, so it would likely sound good without much fuss.

• Members

After A/B'ing The Vyper and the Line 6 Spyder III (the 15watters) at GC, I gotta say that I did prefer the Vyper.

But I don't spend much time playing with high-gain. If I did, I might come down on the side of the Spyder.

My modeling set-up is rather antiquated, as I am cheap and buy old stuff. After owning several lower-level Digitech modelers and the Korg Pandora 3, I am currently enjoying the sound of first running my guitar into a Zoom PS02 (Digital multi-track, with processor) and then running the output of that into a Zoom PS04 (Digital multi-track, with processor). (No amp, I'm using headphones).

I usually run the PS02 with a "DYN-TS" (Dynacomp with Tube screamer--at low gain) Patch and the PS04 with a either a "USA Clean", USA Drive" or "Tweed" patch.

Anyone else run multiple digital modeling processors, in either series or parallel?

• Members
Apart from the US Steel, all of the Character series pedals can go from clean to gritty to dirty, so you'd just have to pick your flavor. It's not just one tone either, you can have a vintage pushed tone or a modern rolled back tone. Same amount of dirt, different voicing. They're meant to be plugged into something like your amp as well, so it would likely sound good without much fuss.

So far I'm leaning toward this solution, but I've got more reading and listening ahead of me.

Thanks again for all your responses - lots of leads to run down here, and that's a good thing! :thu:

• Members

I own a boss me-70, but run a Boss Metal Core (ML-2) into my JC-120 for dirt. Excellent pedal if you like high gain stuff, pretty much a rectifier in a pedal, I couldnt be happier really :thu:

May not be for you if you dont like high gain tho because thats pretty much all it does

[YOUTUBE]QV3O-xMFOY0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

+1 for the tonelab SE i love mine.
i always had problems with delay or glitch between switching patches on other units i've had or tried,and never had a problem with the tonelab.
also the tone is much better and less digital sounding with the tonelab.
i run mine thru a P.A. and it sounds very much like my marshall amp!!
easy to program ,great sounds ,and very durable,had mine for 3 years and not a problem at all!

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see you also have an AD30VT - how do you think the models stack up against those of the Tonelab SE?

I tried that ad30vt and cannot believe how people like it. I thought it sounded like someone rattling a tin can. The pathfinder 15r blew it away.

Archived