Recommend a good modeling pedal?

brandass

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I love my GT-10, but part of the good sound I can get is that I use it with a TECH 21 Power Engine 60 that provides no "coloration" to the emulated sounds of the gt10.... when I have run my gt 10 through a regular tube or ss amp, the sound is not that good, even with the four cable method....

Really? Coz I had the complete opposite experience with my GT-8 (never tried it with an actual PE though). Direct for recording I thought it sounded pretty horrible. Run through my tube poweramp and cab though, it was actually a wonderfully flexible and convenient little rig that actually sounded pretty good. Certainly a crapload easier to move around than the full rack rig too, and all the foot controller side of things was of course taken care of too. :)

I assumed it was the cab modeling that let the GT-8 down in the direct department (one weak point in a lot of modeling IMO), although I wasn't about to put in much effort to test that theory out seeing as I had other ways to record instead. :idk:

EDIT: Mind you, I had tweaked mine for use with the poweramp and cab, and then tried to run it direct. So my patches were set up for that rig, and then I ran direct and tried to tweak those patches (with cab sim added) to try get it to translate over. I'm guessing you were the other way around; you ran through your PE and dialed it in for that, and then tried other rigs. So maybe it's how we're each tweaking our GTs. :idk:

• Members

The BOSS ME-25 is surprisingly good for $200

It has the standard COSM amp models - clean, tweed, lead, drive, metal etc. and a collection of BOSS pedal effects along with a vol/wah controller

For a software solution the IK Multimedia Stealth Pedal provides a 24bit USB interface in a wah pedal format and comes with a very good modeling program. It's a bit more expensive. The Stealth plug is under $200 but only operates at 16bit

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?MainPage.php

Archived