Damn hard times. Sold all my gear.

twofoolsaminute

• Members

Just hang in there man, and keep on applying. Do you best to spend your money wisely though. The worst thing you can do is keep hoping it'll get better and refuse to change your spending habits.

As for the gear, most people I know who have a bunch of guitar gear said they have sold it all at one time or another, for whatever reason. You gotta do what you gotta do. Even if that means sellin' fresh baked bread.

I have an old Squire Strat layin' around if you're havin' git fits. I would be glad to send it your way man. Lord knows you need it more than me.

Until then, Mojo.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My son still has an SX guitar and my old peavey rage practice amp. I can play with it if I get terribly desperate
:)
I don't have the heart to sell any of my kids' stuff.

Dude,

Mojo on the financial situation. You sound like a really good father. There are a lot of families out there who could benefit from having someone like you at the helm.

• Members

Times are certainly tough! I was hoping things would really turn better fast but looks like a long haul.
It still gets me when they talk about the trade deficit with China. Like what deficit? We don't make anything anymore the fat cats sent all the plants that made anything worth while over there...

Thing will turn around and it's good people like you that will help rebuild what we gave away...

This! Keep it in mind when buying anything. Not to get political but the rich are getting richer by exploiting cheap labor. There is starting to be more and more labor unrest in China. Hopefully, when they get educated and demand realistic wages and benefits the world economy will even out.

My son is 26 with 2 kids. He just joined the Air Force to feed the family and hopefully develop a career that can sustain them for the long haul.

• Members

Hope you rock(ed) your HIstory exam Twofools! You are no doubt setting an awesome example for your kids... and people like me. I am a father and I know--as you have done---that I will give up everything before my kids go without. Shoot, I've been wearing the same clothes for nearly 5 years now!!:lol:

Mojo sent for you finances and for anyone else out there struggling. I feel this is our generation's history test--- every generation gets one. Let's hope we can embody lots of heart in the midst of this and find a path to economic justice in this world once and for all. It is just plain wrong that so many have so much while others go hungry or homeless or are forced to move away from family in order to accept work far away.

I, too, sold all my gear in the 90's and now I am blessed with more than before. Life goes up and down. Hope yours goes up soon!

I also want to express how much I love this place... because of the people here. This is the best damn group of people on a forum I have come across in my years on the Web. Everyone is so eager to offer a kind ear, a generous word, and a helping hand. Everyone deserves a pat on the back and a big "Thank You!":thu:

• Members

Sorry to hear that mate, been there. In fact I am just pulling out of it.

You allude to one of the problems people dont appreciate.
That feeling of 'not providing' and letting the kids down.

Well here is something it took me a while to realise.
Her indoors, and the kids - they dont think like that!
You are still dad and they love you for trying, even if at the moment its not working. Its the effort they love you for, not the 'things'.

Good luck :cool:

• Members
I'm right there with ya.

I've been unemployed for a while and sold off a ton of gear, sold a new car and got an older one, and will be relocating to another state to find work. This area of Ohio is dead. I've never had employment trouble until now. It's never been this bad in my lifetime. The way things look, I don't see it improving either.

What you say is true. It's just stuff. When times are hard you realize how unimportant "stuff" is.

Good luck to ya.

I know this tune. I'm driving a 1993 Chrysler I bought for $1500 with no heat or air conditioning. My wife's 1996 mini-van is a little better, but still both our cars have over 150,000 miles each. I don't have a mobile phone. I still listen to music on an old CD player. I've moved my Mother-in-Law into the basement. I only have internet because it is necessary for school and my wife's work. The house is worth less than what we owe. I made all the cuts I could before getting down to selling everything. I don't have flat panel TV's or gaming systems. The one TV in our house has a big white line across it. Fortunately I have a decent Lawn Mower and computer from when things were better. Except my Monitor is a CRT I got out of a dumpster...works great. I have an old car I need to sell, but I can't afford to put a tire on it so I can sell it. It's almost comical.

I'm trying very hard to stay away from credit cards. Those seem to never help the way they seem like they will. However, I am pretty much living on student loans right now, which is probably not that much better in the long run.

:cry:

• Members

Sorry to hear that man. I feel your pain. I've had to scale back and sell a bunch of gear as well. Moving west to take a better job and am losing a ton of money selling my house. I do, however, feel lucky that I still have my favorite guitars and amps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know much about what mojo or prayer or karma or goodwill or all that does or how it works, but my wife's business has doubled since I posted this. Maybe there's something to it. Doesn't solve all our problems, but it does make it possible to stay afloat for now.

Thanks everyone.

• Members

I kinda feel ya man,sold my "expensive gear" since my boss went to focusing on his classic cars but alas my bud came through with a great paying job for me last week which I start Wed so I hope your fortunes turn for the better also!

• Members

I feel for you. That is sad. I just got my beck out of pawn yesterday. I still have two guitars in there and a head. I am having to sell my strat ultra. In this past year and a half i have let go of guitars and cd's that i have had for over 10 years. They have cut hours and it's just costing more to live than i make. I am starting to REALLY appreciate the stuff i still have left.

• Members

I don't know much about what mojo or prayer or karma or goodwill or all that does or how it works, but my wife's business has doubled since I posted this. Maybe there's something to it. Doesn't solve all our problems, but it does make it possible to stay afloat for now.

Thanks everyone.

TFAM,

Where are you in central Iowa, and what line of work are you in? I will check around and keep my eye out for you.

I hope things get better soon and admire how you've handled such a terrible situation.

• Members

Stay in school and get that piece of paper. I moved to Austin, TX in 94 with 150 dollars in my pocket and 2 suitcases. Nothing else. I went to a Temp agency and got a temp position with Travis County and 6 months later got hired full time. That BSE degree opened doors no matter what anyone tells you. I am now retired with a pension and SS and doing well. I was one scared puppy believe me and I know that fear you feel. It is tough in this country without money. PM me your address and I will send you some $'s. My Dad used to tell me all the time, "I felt bad because I had no shoes until I saw a man without any feet." That got me thru some very fearful difficult times. You will survive this. Prayers for you and your family.

• Members

I feel your pain. About 10 years ago I had a thriving masonry biz, 3 cars , a house, wife, you know, the American Dream. Then my wife had a stroke, was in a coma for 6 months before she died, I broke my back, and lost EVERYTHING.. I had to go through chapter 7. I went from making $100k a year to $600. a month disability check.. I`ve had friends blow their brains out over much less..

My point is to hang in there..

• Members

I been there more than once. I remember I had to sell everything I owned and only had the cloths on my back and my truck which I had to live out of for a few weeks in the middel of the winter during snow storms and remember having to wake up every hour to start the thing so I wouldnt freeze to death.

Things eventually work out. I think it makes you a better person if you've been through a real purge of your belongings, but It's not something I'd wish on others. I know it hapened to my folks many times when I was growing up but you dont have that responsibilities on your shoulders like your parents did. I think there are many who have been through it or are going through it now and hope you're wont crater any deeper than it has.

Maybe people will get over this hope and change garbage and will focus on setting up a stable enviornment for big businesses to grow and hire people.

Companies arent going to grow their workforces nor bring all their capitol they have shelterd back into the US until they do.

Archived