Who Is Your Musical Hero?

Mark L

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I gotta add Neil Young. I'm not as big a fan of his later work but he just keeps pushing. (And, while I really, really don't dig the Lanois thing, I give Neil props for trying something different. As the rocketeers used to say: no such thing as a total failure -- if you learn from your mistakes. ;) )

Anyhow, "Revolution Blues" just came on and reminded me what an amazing presence he's been...

• Members

Don Gibson, Django R, Alvino Rey, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Ronnie Hawkins and the The Hawks...

Phil and Don.... reason? from these 'bros' my bros and I learned harmony...so we were ready for 'The Fab Four' when they hit NYC.

The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Bobby Zimmerman, Gene Clark & David Crosby, IMO the most talented of The Byrds...

Robert Palmer, John Waite (his vocal phrasings are up there with Sinatra) The Easybeats, Early Moody Blues, The Zombies, Rod Argent, the vocals of Colin Blunestone, Eric Burdon, Percy Sledge,John Fogarty...

STING, and the Police,+100% volumes to be written here...:love:

My biggest musical influence ...Bob Marley... his biblical references, his 'World Philosophy', his sonorous music, put me in a place that I yearned to go after a hard- scrabble day 'On the Job' dealing with junkies, murderers, robbers, rapists, and the people they injured or killed...

It is noted on my Retirement record, that I always took a vacation day on Robert Nesta Marley's birthday, and well as the day of his death...

If I had to be 'working a case', on those days, it would be certain that 'Redemption Song', 'No Woman no Cry', or 'Could you be Loved' would be playing out of my cheesy little 'boombox' speakers in my cloistered office with a lovely view of Downtown Trenton NJ.:eek:

I've been revisting some of my favorite Brit Pop... i.e. Stereophonics, Oasis, and an 'up and coming guy' from Bolton.... Saul T Nads....:thu:

• Members

Igor Stravinsky.

His
Le sacre du printemps
was so revolutionary it caused a riot. The masterwork succeeds on all levels: harmonically, rhythmically, timbrally, and melodically. It set the stage for the rest of the century's orchestral output.

Best,

Geoff

I like The Rite of Spring, as well

Especially through headphones

Just me and the music :cool:

• CMS Author

It's easier to pick just one, so I'd go with Mike Seeger. He was around when I first got into old time string band music, he was accessible, fun to play with, and until his death a couple of years ago he continued to document the music he loved, he was creative in his own performances, and helped the music evolve rather than just preserving it in its original form as so many other revivalists did.

• Members

Igor Stravinsky.

His
Le sacre du printemps
was so revolutionary it caused a riot. The masterwork succeeds on all levels: harmonically, rhythmically, timbrally, and melodically. It set the stage for the rest of the century's orchestral output.

Best,

Geoff

One of my favorites. I was obsessed with it -- or its absence, in a sense -- after I saw Fantasia when I was maybe 9 or 10 or so and just finding out about stereo and realizing that classical music sounded really cool... I kept thinking it was part of Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" -- I knew it wasn't "Ave Maria" -- both of which my ol' man had on 78's. But I couldn't find it. Down the road I checked Night out of the library and confirmed that it wasn't just a part that had got excised for the 78 album -- those 3-1/2 minute sides meant a lot of disks for even relatively short classical works so stuff got left out sometimes. Wagner operas must have been insanely expensive. My dad had a Gilbert & Sullivan album and it went on an on, maybe 9 disks? I should dig it out to make sure it's still ok but my only current 78 player is even more inaccessible than my shellac.

Then, when I was in junior high or maybe even early in high school I checked a 2 piano ballet recital version of the Rite and realized within maybe 16 bars that this was what I'd been looking for for so long. (Yeah, yeah, I probably could have found a reference work or history of Disney at the main library if I'd looked long enough. Understood. But I was waitin' on the internet -- even in 1962.)

• Members

Nope.........I have been at Bowman's Tower, though.

That is an abandoned industrial chimney in Trenton, NJ.
:wave:

yeah, I heard you mention 'bout driving your pickup in Trenton in one of your songs... hey, good music by the way...me likey, especially that strong 'plucky' guitar sound. :thu:

Abandoned Industrial sites are pretty much all that is left of Trenton, that and Bail Bond places...

Archived