Who Is Your Musical Hero?

Mark L

• Members

Jimi - no one before or after creates the stuff that happens in my mind while listening to a Hendrix solo. I can't think of one other guitarist who has such a unique sound as Hendrix. I can also not think of a guitarist with his level of fame that hasn't been imitated to the gills. Yet the essence of a Hendrix solo has never been imitated nor has his style been extended(not to say it hasn't been tried) It just simply is and stands alone. We're all lucky to have witnessed it.

Bob Marley and the Wailers - simply because whenever I can't find something to play. They never disappoint. I could listen a million times and then a million more.

Miles - well not only because of his contributions to the evolution of Jazz, but mostly because. Something about the way he can blast a single note that seems to defy all laws of time and space. One note and you instantly recognize its Miles, because your mind enters this world that we've all came to recognize as the place Miles takes us to.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rush for me. They were the first band that showed me it was possible to have all three: great songs, ambience/textures and musicianship all in one. Hugely inspirational and exactly what I needed at 18.

I knew that if I waited long enough someone would mention the mighty Rush! :thu:

• Members

David Lowrey (Camper van Beethoven, Cracker)

I'm always so amazed when I go back through my collection and pull out cracker albums, even to the latest. I pull out "The Golden Age", and I'm simply blown away ("I can't forget you" being a personal favourite).

Then '70s Billy Joel (Captain Jack era)

Leonard Cohen

Fishbone circa 1988 (between their first EP and Truth and Soul)

• Members

My musical heroes are anybody who has the 'testicular fortitude' to get up and pour their heart into their music and give their all. You can tell who they are; they're the ones who'll bring their best effort forward even if there's only 3 people in the audience.

• Members

Fishbone circa 1988 (between their first EP and Truth and Soul)

I know this sounds like something some dip{censored} hipster would say, but you really shoulda seen 'em prior to getting signed. They were hilarious, completely unhinged, and really musically potent. The EP hints at it, but live prior to the EP, they were freakin' amazing. I happened to see them quite a few times because I went to high school with them (although I never knew them very well at all). They were in band together at school, and after we graduated, my friends and I used to see them gigging all over town, including at Cal State Northridge and elsewhere. I went to most of their gigs through the '80s, but the time before the EP is how I'll always remember them. They were really good after that, but they didn't have the insane craziness and funny lyrics and banter that they had prior to the EP. 'Course, I don't see how they could have kept that up.

• Moderators

Miles - well not only because of his contributions to the evolution of Jazz, but mostly because. Something about the way he can blast a single note that seems to defy all laws of time and space. One note and you instantly recognize its Miles, because your mind enters this world that we've all came to recognize as the place Miles takes us to.

That is so cool... nice comment on Miles.

Archived