the best f#!kin solid state ive ever heard

cerebrix

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just listened to the first vid so far, but that did sound fantastic. I'll be keeping an eye out for that amp. I like the idea of a good SS amp so I can jam away at home, having a few "beverages", pass out in the LazyBoy, and come back to a bit later without having to fret over wasted tube life. :thu:

• Members

they just took apart a peavey transtube and copied it

loads of SS amps sound good, or at least they did before the internet

I would go a step further and say it's not mostly about the amp. The guy's a good player and has a good guitar. All he needs is a decent amp in a box pedal and he could get that sound out of any amp. The speakers matter a lot of course.

• Members

I don't mind the sound of SS. Just don't be prepared to have it sound like a tube amp.

For instance, sometimes I don't like my amp to break-up at all.

The major fault of SS is lack of warmth, I do like that on the tube.

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30 that I love as a practice amp because it does carry so much of that warmth with it. On some of my guitars, it can in fact sound a bit too warm. Like my new Gibson 50s Tribute P-90 was not shining through that amp, it was sounding a bit dark. But yesterday I drug out my Danelectro Dead On '67 to play through that amp and it was really impressive how much body it gave to that Dano's tone. I uses analog circuitry though for its modeling.

• Members

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30 that I love as a practice amp because it does carry so much of that warmth with it. On some of my guitars, it can in fact sound a bit too warm. Like my new Gibson 50s Tribute P-90 was not shining through that amp, it was sounding a bit dark. But yesterday I drug out my Danelectro Dead On '67 to play through that amp and it was really impressive how much body it gave to that Dano's tone. I uses analog circuitry though for its modeling.

That is good to hear. I have my eye on a Trademark 30 as a home practice amp. What are your overall impressions of the amp? effects, etc..

• Members

That is good to hear. I have my eye on a Trademark 30 as a home practice amp. What are your overall impressions of the amp? effects, etc..

I'll pipe in: I've had the predecessor (TM10 -- same preamp, lower powered) since 2000, and it's killer bee! With enough patience, I can get almost any sort of tone I want out of it at practically any volume. Also, with the effects loop and an XLR out, it can be used as a gigging amp (plugged into the board). There are a number of sites that provide useful settings (here: http://www.cstone.net/~halouis/tm10/ and here: http://milaa.tripod.com/SansAmpGT2/indexGT2.html) to get you started.

Oh -- and it takes pedals quite well, in my experience.

• Members

It's become my favorite amp as of late. I did have a few days where we weren't getting along. It wasn't doing much justice to my new Gibson '50s Tribute P-90 guitar, it was sounding a bit too dark out of that amp. But I plugged my Danelectro '67 Dead On in it yesterday and thought I've never heard that guitar sound that good before.

I like that it's got the 3 modes of Tweed, British and California (the latter I rarely use) and then I'll either use the US or British speaker modes. Combining that with the clean, gain and higher gain switch modes (forget exactly what 2 and 3 are called) you have a lot of options for shaping your tone along with the 3 band EQ.

On the upside it also has genuine spring reverb.

On the downside the headroom is a bit less than you would expect from a 30 watter, especially on the tweed cleans, however, when you step up the gain above "clean" it ups your volume quite a bit and still remains relatively clean with just a bit of grit. If I have it fully cranked I'm getting either a clipping pop or a speaker bottoming out pop, not sure which, so that is limiting on the heavy distortion levels.

But all together, it's still plenty loud and I actually have had my neighbors call to turn that amp down at night even though we have an empty lot between us.

I've also noticed, and I've noticed this on other spring reverbs as well, that if it's cranked up too much (like above 2:00) I can get this trebly keerang ghost tone which I find to be a bit fatiguing on the ears and hard to dial out with the treble knob, so I prefer to keep the reverb at reasonable levels. (That new Boss vintage reverb pedal has the same characteristic)

All together, I think it's a nice amp. I do not know whether or not that popping noise I get at the cranked gain/British/Calif modes is common or not. But I do really like this amp and have bonded with it more than most of my other amps. Once I got this one, my Vox AD60VTX started accumulating dust. They are different animals, but there's a focused richness on the T-30 that the Vox doesn't seem to muster with all its flabby floppy goodness of the neo dog speaker.

• Members

Saw this a few days ago at TGP and posted it over at my forum as well. Supposedly based on a Trainwreck (hence the name). They're also planning a combo with verb and at some point in the future (porbably based on whether this model sells) a channel switching amp based on a Dumble. Just a hair pricey for my frugal sensibilities. I'd like to see it hit the $600 to $700 mark and I'd be chomping at the bit.

In the vid, I think it sounds pretty darn nice, though a great deal of that is the player. When the gain is cranked up I can hear a little bit of Tech 21 style compression, but the amp is far more dynamic than my Trademark 60 (the dirty channel doesn't clean up anywhere near as much nor as nicely as the vid).

Archived