the best f#!kin solid state ive ever heard

cerebrix

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds awesome. I really have nothing against solid state technology - the problem is that most solid state amps out there are intended to be cheaply made beginner amps and they sound like it. Just like some cheap tube amps don't sound good either. I'm sure if given the proper investment and quality, someone could make a good SS amp. Why? Because there are a bunch of killer SS pedals out there that, into a clean tube amp, sound awesome. When I saw Robben Ford, he wasn't using his Dumbles, but Zendrives into a a clean Twin & Super. Some of the best tones I have heard!

So kudos to those guys for going out there and putting the time in - clips sound great. Those clips don't sound any better or worse than Lance does through some really high $$ stuff that he owns, like the Bludo.

FWIW, these clips do have the benefit of being better recorded than most if not all youtubes.

• Members

Saw this a few days ago at TGP and posted it over at my forum as well. Supposedly based on a Trainwreck (hence the name). They're also planning a combo with verb and at some point in the future (porbably based on whether this model sells) a channel switching amp based on a Dumble. Just a hair pricey for my frugal sensibilities. I'd like to see it hit the $600 to $700 mark and I'd be chomping at the bit.

In the vid, I think it sounds pretty darn nice, though a great deal of that is the player. When the gain is cranked up I can hear a little bit of Tech 21 style compression, but the amp is far more dynamic than my Trademark 60 (
the dirty channel doesn't clean up anywhere near as much nor as nicely as the
vid).

yeah. the 1st channel is to die for but the overdrive channel leaves much to be desired.its useful though.

• Members

the cleaner tones on this clips are quite nice

[YOUTUBE]xOCkvtStD80[/YOUTUBE]

I was doing some reading about this amp on TGP. It apparently weights about 6 pounds!!! One of the benefits of solid state for sure! I could see this being a great gig amp - the reliability of SS, relatively cheap, easy to carry around, sounds pretty good. The touch sensitivity is really very impressive.

• Members

The nicest solid state amp i've heard was one with one of those blackstar HT pedals plugged in ;)

That being said, i've nothing against solid state, i think the quality of it has been e-shunned (yeah, i'm coining terms today:cool: ) by internet bandwagon jumping. But yeah, it did sound great.

• Members

my 87 randall rg100es sounds great and it's solid state. i've had a few people ask me what tubes i run it, they're always shocked when i tell them it's SS

Yeah some of those old Randalls do sound good, and with the firm belief of many that SS = crap, they are stupid cheap.

• Members

yup, scored mine for $125 5 years ago or so. i wish i had the matching cab, right now i'm using this junky bottom of the line marshall cab and it's a good 5-6" shorter than the head is width-wide. the only downside to the randall i have is that both channels run simultaneously if there is no foot switch connected. they use a proprietary connector and the originals are hard to find, i had to get one made by that guy on ebay (voodooman or something). total pain in the ass, the guy doesn't communicate with you at all and takes forever to build a footswitch that was supposedly "in stock" already. there was no mention of wait time at all.

back on topic now...

yeah, that's a good SS amp

• Members

I'll pipe in: I've had the predecessor (TM10 -- same preamp, lower powered) since 2000, and it's killer bee! With enough patience, I can get almost any sort of tone I want out of it at practically any volume. Also, with the effects loop and an XLR out, it can be used as a gigging amp (plugged into the board). There are a number of sites that provide useful settings (here:
and here:
) to get you started.

Oh -- and it takes pedals quite well, in my experience.

Thanks for the input - I want something to contrast my current home practice amps (both single knob 5 watt Champ derivatives). The Tech 21 looks like it could work.

• Members

It's become my favorite amp as of late. I did have a few days where we weren't getting along. It wasn't doing much justice to my new Gibson '50s Tribute P-90 guitar, it was sounding a bit too dark out of that amp. But I plugged my Danelectro '67 Dead On in it yesterday and thought I've never heard that guitar sound that good before.

I like that it's got the 3 modes of Tweed, British and California (the latter I rarely use) and then I'll either use the US or British speaker modes. Combining that with the clean, gain and higher gain switch modes (forget exactly what 2 and 3 are called) you have a lot of options for shaping your tone along with the 3 band EQ.

On the upside it also has genuine spring reverb.

On the downside the headroom is a bit less than you would expect from a 30 watter, especially on the tweed cleans, however, when you step up the gain above "clean" it ups your volume quite a bit and still remains relatively clean with just a bit of grit. If I have it fully cranked I'm getting either a clipping pop or a speaker bottoming out pop, not sure which, so that is limiting on the heavy distortion levels.

But all together, it's still plenty loud and I actually have had my neighbors call to turn that amp down at night even though we have an empty lot between us.

I've also noticed, and I've noticed this on other spring reverbs as well, that if it's cranked up too much (like above 2:00) I can get this trebly keerang ghost tone which I find to be a bit fatiguing on the ears and hard to dial out with the treble knob, so I prefer to keep the reverb at reasonable levels. (That new Boss vintage reverb pedal has the same characteristic)

All together, I think it's a nice amp. I do not know whether or not that popping noise I get at the cranked gain/British/Calif modes is common or not. But I do really like this amp and have bonded with it more than most of my other amps. Once I got this one, my Vox AD60VTX started accumulating dust. They are different animals, but there's a focused richness on the T-30 that the Vox doesn't seem to muster with all its flabby floppy goodness of the neo dog speaker.

Thank you for the detailed report:thu:

The lack of headroom is not too much of a problem as I hope to use it exclusively for home practice.

• Members

Good god how gullible can you people be? These vids are as real as the moon landings.We all know you can not get an acceptable distorted tone out of a solid state amp. It is imposable. I read it on a forum on the internet so it is true. Just as you can not play metal with a Les Paul you guys need to get over the idea of anything except tubes sounding good.

Yaaa right.....Damm nice sounding amp.

• Members

Yup good sounding amp. Very nice is the size/weight factor. Would be very tempting to me even at the price point, if I were a gigging musician.

Now did someone mention SS Randalls? This was a pretty good sounding amp that I had that can be found everywhere in the $100-$125 range. I love SS amps as much as i like a good Tube amp!

randalllespaul.jpg

• Members

That's a pretty decent sounding SS clone of a Trainwreck! Now if only the price were a bit less......

I have no problem with SS amps. I buy with my ears, not the criterion of whether or not it has tubes. I've had good sounding amps that were tube, and good soudning amps that were SS. My present amp is a red stripe Transtube Peavey Studio Pro 112. IMO it's one of the better, if not one of the best sounding amps I've owned in my 31 plus years of playing (and that includes having owned Blackfaced Fender heads, Hiwatts, Marshalls, and Mesas).

265867.jpg

• Members
Yup good sounding amp. Very nice is the size/weight factor. Would be very tempting to me even at the price point, if I were a gigging musician.

Now did someone mention SS Randalls? This was a pretty good sounding amp that I had that can be found everywhere in the $100-$125 range. I love SS amps as much as i like a good Tube amp!

randalllespaul.jpg

I have the head and 2x10 Commanders.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

• Members

randalllespaul.jpg

I mentioned the RG100ES earlier in the thread :thu: Awesome amp. It catches a lot of flack because it's the amp that Dime used until Pantera got huge and he got his own amps. It actually takes quite a few pedals to make it sound like Dime's tone. The stock tones are pretty damn good on it, from shimmery cleans to awesome mid-gain stoner rock tones... there's no way this is a high-gain one trick pony amp.
3n33kf3mf5O35Z05P0a8l2622e04594a218a1.jp

and RUEXP.. how many DS-1's do you need? lol

Archived