Van Halen ended with 1984

lincoln40

• Members

So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like both versions of Van Halen... I grew up listening to it and I definitely prefer the Van Roth era, but Van Hagar had some solid songs and they sound more mature overall, but they almost sound like 'hard easy listening'.

:lol:

Actually, as landmark as VHI was, today I really think I prefer Women And Children First and Fair Warning over any other of their albums, closely followed by 1984.

They were a force, to be sure!

• Members

So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

I agree...but I like tofu.

The only thing that I really like about Sammy Hagar is his tequila. If you've never tried it then you're missing out. I didn't salt or lime when I had it...very smooth. It was like love came walking in and that's what dreams were made of...without the puking.

...and since you are relatively new to Van Halen...here is the guy who they say was the blueprint for David Lee Roth:

I bet he freaked out a few people back in the day.

• Members

Don't really care for either. I was 17 when 1984 came out and it was good but not great. Everything for them there after was terrible. I was more into Pink Floyd, Zepplin and Judas Priest.

And now, kids like that heavy cookie monster voiced metal, glad I grew up when I did. The 70's had real musicians, who wrote their own songs with lyrics you could understand. Cookie monster singers are wanna be devil children pretending to be something they are not. Probably scared pussies under it all.

• Members

For the kid's out there, Everything you ever needed to know about Rock N' Roll can be learned from old Van Halen. The Bass, Drum, Vocals, and of course Guitar. If your clueless and just starting a band, listen and learn.

Flawless formula. Now get in the garage and rock on!

• Members

Don't really care for either. I was 17 when 1984 came out and it was good but not great. Everything for them there after was terrible. I was more into Pink Floyd, Zepplin and Judas Priest.

And now, kids like that heavy cookie monster voiced metal, glad I grew up when I did. The 70's had real musicians, who wrote their own songs with lyrics you could understand. Cookie monster singers are wanna be devil children pretending to be something they are not. Probably scared pussies under it all.

I see what you are saying. I like Zep too. I tried out Priest but than heard about their lead singer and said "no thanks." Most new stuff does suck.

• Members
For the kid's out there, Everything you ever needed to know about Rock N' Roll can be learned from old Van Halen. The Bass, Drum, Vocals, and of course Guitar. If your clueless and just starting a band, listen and learn.

Flawless formula. Now get in the garage and rock on!

including throwaway songs, solos with no sense of direction, the worst sounding snare drum ever recorded, etc, etc, etc.:cool:

• Members

I see what you are saying. I like Zep too. I tried out Priest but than heard about their lead singer and said "no thanks." Most new stuff does suck.

So you wont listen to a great classic metal band because their singer is gay? hmmmmm,,,ok. So Elton John and Queen are off your list?

• Members

I see what you are saying. I like Zep too.
I tried out Priest but than heard about their lead singer and said "no thanks."
Most new stuff does suck.

Homophobe. I agree that most new stuff does suck, but seriously you "heard about" instead of hearing Priest's singer.:rolleyes::facepalm:

Archived