Van Halen ended with 1984

lincoln40

• Members

The first two VH albums took the Rock world by storm. Overnight the stakes were higher, especially if you were a guitar player. The stuff with Sammy was a bit more polished but didn't have the same impact. By most accounts Diamond Dave was a huge egomaniac and probably a pain to work with ( I guess the same could be said of Eddie), but he was a great front man. Sam could sing better but he seemed kinda lame.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The first two VH albums took the Rock world by storm. Overnight the stakes were higher, especially if you were a guitar player. The stuff with Sammy was a bit more polished but didn't have the same impact. By most accounts Diamond Dave was a huge egomaniac and probably a pain to work with ( I guess the same could be said of Eddie), but he was a great front man. Sam could sing better but he seemed kinda lame.

yeah, but that first Montrose album was something else!

• Members

The songs were better in the Van Roth era

But the vocals were better in the Van Hagar era.

I didn't used to think so until I bought this album.

cd-cover.jpg

But I'm not new to the music, back when the first album came out, me and a friend ate something he brought over that could be an ingredient in spaghetti sauce, but somehow changed you mood more than spaghetti; and we drove around in his Firebird for a few hours blasting that album on tape. The next day my friend discovered he'd wrecked his car speakers.

But what seemed new at the time, was not only EVH's pyro-technics on the guitar, but also this stadium rock tone where it sounded best totally blaring and pushed into the edge (or slightly over) of distortion. It was another rebirth of the genre. I think we're past due for another.

• Members
So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

You're a wise young man. :cool:

I don't like bands of your generation either. :facepalm:

• Members

Dave's era has a lot of sinister riffs and Ed from that era is unrivaled. Sorry, too many great ideas and his solos have magic like no other. I still get a thrill making discs for well playing folks my age (and anyone else too) that really don't know what's what. Yep Roth Van Halen is the baddest. I don't think any rock or metal bands from around there come close.

However, there are great riffs and solos in the Van Hagar era, and I think F.U.C.K sounds sonically thick and heavy. (Soldano?) Pleasure Dome solo rips. Plus I'm in love with the EVH Axis guitar.

Go find the 5150 live w/out net solo, and also Finish What Ya Started from Live Right Here Right Now. (tudou.com has it) The ending solo is my current favorite. His run starting at 4:58 to 5:07 is killer. The grooves were different with Sammy - less ripping, but Ed had a whole new palate of writing vibe to solo over. He didn't have the supply the edgier riffs, so the solos got prettier.

And NO ONE ends a run like Ed...always a great choice of note and left hand tremolo.

Heh. VH doesn't get much play in my rotation these days...but they're probly the band I'm quickest to defend.

• Members
Dave's era has a lot of sinister riffs and Ed from that era is unrivaled. Sorry, too many great ideas and his solos have magic like no other. I still get a thrill making discs for well playing folks my age (and anyone else too) that really don't know what's what. Yep Roth Van Halen is the baddest. I don't think any rock or metal bands from around there come close.

However, there are great riffs and solos in the Van Hagar era, and I think F.U.C.K sounds sonically thick and heavy. (Soldano?) Pleasure Dome solo rips. Plus I'm in love with the EVH Axis guitar.

Go find the 5150 live w/out net solo, and also Finish What Ya Started from Live Right Here Right Now. (tudou.com has it) The ending solo is my current favorite. His run starting at 4:58 to 5:07 is killer. The grooves were different with Sammy - less ripping, but Ed had a whole new palate of writing vibe to solo over. He didn't have the supply the edgier riffs, so the solos got prettier.

And NO ONE ends a run like Ed...always a great choice of note and left hand tremolo.

Agreed.

And now let's hear it for the Van Cherone Era!! WOOOO!!!

Guys??

Guys?

:confused:

• Members

Don't really care for either. I was 17 when 1984 came out and it was good but not great. Everything for them there after was terrible. I was more into Pink Floyd, Zepplin and Judas Priest.

And now, kids like that heavy cookie monster voiced metal, glad I grew up when I did. The 70's had real musicians, who wrote their own songs with lyrics you could understand. Cookie monster singers are wanna be devil children pretending to be something they are not. Probably scared pussies under it all.

I never really got into them too much either. I can appreciate his talent and influence, but I don't listen to it all that much.

As for the Cookie Monster vocals - I totally agree, except I think there is one exception -Opeth.

• Members
The songs were better in the Van Roth era

But the vocals were better in the Van Hagar era.

I didn't used to think so until I bought this album.

cd-cover.jpg

But I'm not new to the music, back when the first album came out, me and a friend ate something he brought over that could be an ingredient in spaghetti sauce, but somehow changed you mood more than spaghetti; and we drove around in his Firebird for a few hours blasting that album on tape. The next day my friend discovered he'd wrecked his car speakers.

But what seemed new at the time, was not only EVH's pyro-technics on the guitar, but also this stadium rock tone where it sounded best totally blaring and pushed into the edge (or slightly over) of distortion. It was another rebirth of the genre. I think we're past due for another.

i got that album, the first half kicks ass.

• Members

i got that album, the first half kicks ass.

Arrggh

Missin my pt dudester.

Or bypassing it.

Truly, I remember listening to that album like a revelation cuz it converted me from a Roth fanboy to a bit more of a Hagar fanboy. I would really rather listen to Hagar, but as said above, I think the tunes were generally better in the Van Roth days.

If you can, watch the video Van Halen Live Without A Net it features Hagar in the line up and they also cover songs from the Roth era. I found with that video (I bought) that I don't find myself missing Diamond Dave. In fact I found the dueling guitars of VH/Hagar to add more to the show.

I don't try to convince people that the Hagar era was better, I just try to smash the knee jerk perception that Roth was better without plenty of qualifications.

• Members

Buckshotjenkins I pretty much agree with everything in your post and besides being informative it has substance unlike of half of the childish {censored} that is just thrown out. All anyone can do is listen to what they like, but for those of you who are going to dismiss half a bands legacy because you hear that is the cool thing you have some growing up to do. As I stated I like both incarnations of Vanhalen which besides AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac are the only 4 bands I can think of that were successful-lost their lead vocalist and cameback bigger than ever. I also think Eds playing was just as strong in the later years and agree with BJ examples as well as killer playing on songs like Dreams and for those who say Ed did not play beautiful melodies go back and listen to the solo on Love Comes Walking In.

• Members
I have a few tickets to see a VH tribute band this Saturday (The Atomic Punks) from LA at Durty Nellies in Palatine, just northwest of the city...I may or may not go...if I do it's because I have reached a point where I like like to check out tribute bands more than the real deal...or something:confused:

So even though you weren't much of a fan you have a few tickets to watch a VH tribute band. :lol: Somehow your logic makes sense. Original VH lends itself to a tribute band format...cuz it's fun music and probably an entertaining stage show without the pesky $120 reunion tour ticket price.

• Members

Yeah, you dont even know me and yet you judge me. That makes you a douche.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000

your judging him but yet you dont know him... so does that make you like a double douche?

+90000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

also, i like where this thread is heading.

• Members
So I discovered Van Halen about a year and a half ago. That's all I've been listening to pretty much since then. I really cant stand bands from my generation (Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc). Van Halen was one of the greatest bands of all time. But I do not like them with Sammy Hagar. In my opinion Van Halen ended with the album 1984. Everything after that was a different band. Van Halen with Roth is an American tradition, like a 1960's Corvette and a slice of apple pie. Van Hagar is like having a diet soda or eating a Tofu turkey. That is all.

I agree.

I bought 1984 when it came out while I was on a Hockey Tournament in Minneapolis. I listened to it on the way home on my walkman.....and thought: WHAT A {censored} ASS ALBUM! For me real Van Halen happened all before 1984...that was the death of the original VH...I mean WTF was with the keyboards????:rolleyes:

• Members

I thought the only bad VH album up to 1984 was Diver Down, other than that they rocked, even 1984. I saw every tour they did in the Roth days (opening for Black Sabbath, what a trip), so being along for the entire ride then hearing the Sammy stuff was a shock. I really like Sammy Hagar and I really like Van Halen but that lineup was not an improvement in my opinion.

Archived